Class C 4x4 to travel the western hemisphere- anyone done it?

draaronr

Adventurer
My wife and I are planning to make a trip, like lots of others and take several years and travel from the US, down into central america then onto south america. Nothing new, but I haven't seen a lot of people do it in an RV. I love the Fuso campers, but seems like alot of money. We want a shower and nice bed, kitchen and toilet. We like the RV set up VS a camper shell etc. My thoughts why not take a smaller Class C or chinook, with a V10 dually get a sweet U joint kit under it and roll? It seems then I could focus on maintenance and adding things like bigger water and fuel tanks, and adding solar etc. Am I missing the drawbacks? We want to be able to hit the dirt/unimproved roads, some beaches to surf/camp, no hardcore wheeling etc. My only fear is the flex of the camper add on. Links, thoughts views etc would be appreciated.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My concern for a PanAm trip in a class C would be vehicle size. I would definitely keep it 22' or less. Acknowledge ahead of time your limitations going around the Darien Gap with regard to ferry regulations, etc.

GNTY

Adventurer
I have not been to South America but we do all we can to stay remote and run dirt roads from sand washes of Moab to forestry roads through Montana and western Canada in our little class c 4x4. I've had the suspension articulated many times without a creek or a moan. Small class c's have so much room, all the amenities and yet you can park in any normal parking stall. I'd say go for it!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I agree with Chris, it might be a one way trip to a very large and expensive camp fire... there's just not enough true structure to have it last the trip and still have it worth anything if you make it back home. The flexibility would rip it apart from the inside.
My advice would be a fully built van or a proper truck camper in a proper 4x4 pickup.

draaronr

Adventurer
Van is just too small to be comfortable for an extended period of time. I wish it wasn't so, as life would be simple, but a bathroom and shower on a 1-2 year trip makes it feel like you have your "own" space.
The issue with the truck/camper which I do like, and have met many people from the US when in South America doing that, is the disconnect from front to back area, and a truck camper always feels cramped.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Van is just too small to be comfortable for an extended period of time. I wish it

I know a lot of people, many personally who would disagree with you including myself. Have you tried looking at different vans in person? Have you tried van living for a little while? Have you talked first-hand with any van dwellers? Don't dismiss the size because function is a rather amazing thing. It does take a different mindset to get used to living in a smaller space but completely doable and enjoyable if setup for your specific needs.

draaronr

Adventurer
I know a lot of people, many personally who would disagree with you including myself. Have you tried looking at different vans in person? Have you tried van living for a little while? Have you talked first-hand with any van dwellers? Don't dismiss the size because function is a rather amazing thing. It does take a different mindset to get used to living in a smaller space but completely doable and enjoyable if setup for your specific needs.
ive owned 2, phenomenal road trip vehicle. I've looked at the sportsmobiles, they are fine with exception of the lack of bath/shower. And it's not really about me, I can get by and work it out, Its my wife that would have a tough time.

GNTY

Adventurer
They're just not built well enough to survive the terrain.

I agree with Chris, it might be a one way trip to a very large and expensive camp fire... there's just not enough true structure to have it last the trip and still have it worth anything if you make it back home. The flexibility would rip it apart from the inside.
My advice would be a fully built van or a proper truck camper in a proper 4x4 pickup.

Without trying to sound sarcastic but am i missing something about traveling the roads through central and south america, are they ox and wagon trails? I know that if you want an offroad adventure or technical 4wd conditions that you can find it there depending on route. But i'm just going off what the OP was saying about setting the stage for his trip, " dirt/unimproved roads, some beaches to surf/camp, no hardcore wheeling" and to say a small Class C can't do that is way off. There is no question that there is a huge difference between brands/build quality from stick frame to aluminum framed to full fibreglass shell as well as materials used on the interior and how cabinets are mounted to walls and I think that is better to be addressed than just writing them off. Washboard roads will shake ANYTHING apart. People have travel through central and south america in all sorts or cars, trucks, vans and campers ranging from old and new and i don't believe that you need a fully built expedition vehicle to travel their roads and to have a great experience.

The only thing we can agree with on this forum is how awesome it is to get out and have an adventure. How to get there has and always will be debated and will remain a personal preference. I to have done the sportsmobile pop top, then a fixed high top caper van and for the sanity of my wife and kids and to ensure that they'd continue to experience exploring with me i sold those and moved to a mini class c and its the best thing for OUR family that i've ever done, and it hasn't limited us at all in what we do and where we go, which will be different than a guy that has a wife that is thrilled to be in a van or landcruiser with a roof top tent. We go all the same places we choose to take our 4x4 vans. Again, where some people choose to take their vans may be different than others. You look at the needs/wants of your family then try that route, build it to suit your needs and go places that you know that vehicle will take you, worst case you turn around. Its no different than a van can't fit or go where a jeep can, but the van will go 70% of the places the jeep will, so if a jeep doesn't work for you, then get a van and just don't go that 30% of places, which may not be where you wanted to go anyway. If a modified C will go 80% of a Van, then just don't go that 20% of hard core places, most van owners don't take their vans rock crawling, or technical offroad trails.
My C goes 100% of the places i want to go and explore, and that's not all highway which you may think. Just my personal opinion.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've worked in the RV industry and the 4x4 van industry and have seen how both of them are built. I've also owned a very nice high-end travel trailer and multiple vans.
From my personal experiences and being mechanically inclined unless the camper a a true al frame as you mentioned with a reinforced fiberglass shell&body with all the interior items also securely fastened it's not going to worth much at the end of a ruff trip. (at least 4000miles, Dallas to Panama canal-3000 one way) what I mean by worth much is the overall structural integrity and operation.
And my point it, where does one find this rarely well built RV for a reasonable price that actually fits the needs of the owner?
Sure, anyone can can do anything they put their minds to but what is the final cost and was it truly worth it?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
<devils_advocate>

A. The vast majority of vehicles in central and south america are two wheel drive, so the roads can't be all that bad.

B. You can buy or rent plain Jane RVs in central and south america, so it must be possible to actually use them down there.

C. Chicken bus.

</devils_advocate>

P1010488-1.jpg

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Even a Chinook?

I'd say a Chinook would be fine. I plan to take a similar trip soon in mine although I decided to leave it 2wd with a lift, locker, winch setup. I've drove x-country 3 times (16k miles) since I bought it in August and it has taken many dirt roads and off the beaten paths very well. It helps that it's a one price fiberglass shell. Ultimately a smaller van will get you deeper off road but for the amount you would need that might not be worth sacrificing class c comforts.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

draaronr

Adventurer
I've worked in the RV industry and the 4x4 van industry and have seen how both of them are built. I've also owned a very nice high-end travel trailer and multiple vans.
From my personal experiences and being mechanically inclined unless the camper a a true al frame as you mentioned with a reinforced fiberglass shell&body with all the interior items also securely fastened it's not going to worth much at the end of a ruff trip. (at least 4000miles, Dallas to Panama canal-3000 one way) what I mean by worth much is the overall structural integrity and operation.
And my point it, where does one find this rarely well built RV for a reasonable price that actually fits the needs of the owner?
Sure, anyone can can do anything they put their minds to but what is the final cost and was it truly worth it?

yes but for the wife to be happy to spend several years on the road, I would then be doing a fuso with a full expedition set up. so instead of 50k, id be 150-200k I don't know that I need to spend 3-4 times as much. But yes I don't want my vehicle to come undone in Chile. I am only looking at something like a Chinook or one of the similar style, not a cruiseamerica version.

45Kevin

Adventurer
My neighbour's kid and his girlfriend did the Alaska to Argentina trip a couple of years ago in a 1987 toyota chinook, 2wd.
They had very few problems, and none of them show stoppers.

I watched him do repairs and maintenance in his father's driveway for a month or so.
I was over there many times, turning him on to this site, yotaworld etc.

I got to tell you I was skeptical.

He was keen, but by no means a mechanic.
The camper walls had 2x4s sandwiched together in a couple of places the stiffen the rotten walls.

Despite all that they had a great time with minimal problems. The did the usual roads, camping on beaches to surf and at mountain bases to climb and ski.

What the OP is thinking of doing has a far greater chance of success.
Go for it.

Just remember, shiny things attract attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles