Phxtoad's AR/Carbine transport bag

phxtoad

Adventurer
Goal: Discrete/Diversionary (but certainly not diminutive) rifle bag for multiple AR's or similar.

A bag that one could throw all their range gear in and not draw too much obvious attention,
and that offers reasonable protection for the contents.

Looking through some posts on other forums I saw reference to the use of lacrosse equipment bags to carry rifles.

This seemed like a great idea, so I sourced one. Once it arrived I measured up the interior and sketched a concept. This bag's interior is 11"x11"x38"

IMG_7756_zpsvu6dadze.jpg

Started with a couple sheets of 2" foam. 24"x84"

IMG_7701_zpsbwgwswx6.jpg

Layout. Measure twice, cut once.

IMG_7702_zpsn9qqmx1s.jpg

Liner sleeves rough cut. Practice cut on a scrap piece to get the corner 'V' correct.

IMG_7705_zpsx823tyn3.jpg

Corner cuts for the folds. Was going to spray glue these, but found it wasn't necessary given I was filling the bag.

IMG_7706_zpshzlnrszm.jpg

Test fit. I notched the liner sleeves to slide under the folded end. An 11"x28" top panel (not pictured) drops right in.

IMG_7708_zps0umbmvwc.jpg

There is no way that if I had glued this up with the sides in place I could have fit it in the bag through the limited flap opening. Glued together it would have been too rigid to bend without tearing up the joints.

One added benefit is that all the foam comes out in just a second (in case I need to suddenly take up lacrosse). This bag would also make a good gear bag for camping.

AR in the bottom slot (weapon mounted light on the right side of the handguard). A scoped upper with bipod is peaking out of the middle slot. Mags in the top slot.

IMG_7709_zpsbahyo1k0.jpg

Plenty of room for other misc. range gear/equipment. Plus there are a few outer pockets on the bag.

Once the top foam panel is placed, and the flap zippered, everything inside is snug. There's simply no room for anything to really
shift.

Cost: Too much. Foam isn't cheap and neither was the bag.

Size: Honestly, a little too big overall, but lots of room! You can stand it on end and hide behind it if seeking cover.

Storage: (3) AR's easily.

Time: A couple hours.

Complexity: Easy with an electric knife and a sharp regular knife.

Todd

zimm

Expedition Leader
if the foam isnt secured to the foam, whats to keep **** from sliding and moving around the foam?

phxtoad

Adventurer
Just compression. Even without gear, the bag's zippers are taut when zipped. Nearly the entire volume of the main compartment is foam - and rigid foam at that. My plan to glue/secure the outer panels in place was abandoned as soon as I test fit everything. Just no need. The bag's other small pockets control small/loose items. During it's first use, all I noticed was the couple 30 rd mags that I brought shifted from being vertical to horizontal during transport. They didn't leave their 'slot' though. Good enough for me.

jpachard

Adventurer
Nice work! I like the idea of being able to have a bag that doesn't scream "I'm carrying a couple really nice rifles+ammo".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles