26r, 29r or other?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have 2 26er's now, a specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp that I rebuilt with new everything. XTR grouppo etc. Manitou SX front fork, plus some other stuff. I also have a Kranked aluminum framed full suspension bike. This was a big box special and has a lot of carbon steel parts. My plan is to see what I can make out of it. I am going to redo the suspension and swap all the steel for aluminum and titanium parts for ****s and giggles.

Now, are 29" bikes or the new 27.5" better than the good ole 26"rs?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The days of new 26" bikes is pretty much limited and, honestly, if you're buying a new bike there's no reason to consider anything other than 650b/27.5 and 29 in the various fatnesses. But a good 26" bike doesn't stop being a good 26" bike. You can get some amazing deals on what was just a few years ago super high end stuff. But, yeah, the new wheel sizes have advantages and IMO are "better" (whatever that means is subjective).

gwittman

Adventurer
The larger wheels do have some advantages but so do the 26". I still have fun on my 26" and plan to do so for a ling time. That is unless I can't get tries or wheels for it anymore. The availability seems to be slimming down somewhat.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
26 inch wheeled bikes are all but dead. I can't see myself riding one ever again, outside of 26-inch fatbikes.

This is why I have not pulled the trigger on a Surly Troll yet. I just did not like the ride of the Ogre or Krampus. I know I could build the Troll up b+ wheels but I think I'll keep bikepacking with the fatback.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I will never get rid of my bikes. But moving forward the bigger wheel'ed bikes are going to be on the rack for sure!

p nut

butter
If I were to get a new bike today, it's really hard to overlook the 27.5 plus platform. Gives you pretty good float on the super loose stuff (sand or snow), but not as draggy as full on fat tires. It can also take 29" tires for fast rides.

Look at the Surly Karate Monkey ('17 models) or Salsa Timberjack. Several others in this category.

Now, if you ride in snow or sand often, I'd go fat. You can still fit those with Plus and 29" wheels.

kojackJKU

No sand, SNOW however. I was looking at Rocky Mountian bikes. I was always a fan of them. or Specialized. Thanks for the tips.

p nut

butter
kojack - This bike was made for you. :D

https://www.specialized.com/es/en/bikes/turbo-levo-fsr-expert-6fattie/113964

specialized_pedal_assist_launch_stills_12-specialized-Specialized-Turbo-Levo-FSR-Expert-6Fattie-ebike-mtb-www.ebike-mtb.com-e-mountainbike-magazine-810x540.jpg

fortel

Adventurer
I was one of the early converts in my area going from 26 to 29ers. There was lots of info out there at the time saying they weren't as nimble on tight trails, the big wheels were weak, etc. etc. I found none of that to be true with my Stumpjumper Comp 29er. My local midwest trails are full of roots, rocks, and various step ups, etc. The bigger hoops roll over all that stuff better and I saw no loss in being able to work my way through tight spots. I'm down to a fat bike now due to some vision issues from a twice detached retina. The 4" wide tires give me some leeway when my vision distortion makes me miss a line or tire placement since they tend not to drop into voids between rocks as bad. I've gotten use to the weight and don't think anything about getting all that rolling mass going anymore. But if not for the vision issues, I'd be all over some of the 27.5 offerings out there now.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
27.5 is the pajamas. If that had been the 'next hot thing' after 26", 29'ers never would have become so popular. Keep in mind too, that when the average rider got a new 29'er, they were also likely getting way better shocks, brakes, etc etc. It's hard to see the forest for the trees when comparing wheel size when so much else in the comparison is also new/different/improved. And of course, objectivity about an item has an inverse correlation to price paid for item.
I owned a shop for a number of years, and build my own frames. As near as I could, I did a 'scientific' test between 27.5 and 29. Riding loops that I have ridden for years (and timed) over a summer switching between the two sizes. Basically, the lower the angle and the smoother, the more the 29 shined. On what I call 'zero momentum' climbing ie climbs where you stop moving forward if you stop pedaling, the 29 really lagged. Zero momentum and technical was the worse performance. Like some testers mention re full suspension bikes, I often felt very slow on the 29, when in fact I was just as fast, and on some loops with road stretches at both ends, faster. I never liked the feel though.. just felt like more work... like being taken for a ride instead of doing the riding.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I just built up a 26er and love it. I did it for a couple reasons;

26" wheels are DIRT cheap! I got a complete set of Stans tubeless rims, tires, disc rotors (200/180) and even a SRAM 9 speed cassette (yes 9 speed - I'm running a 1X9 speed because LEGS!) shipped for $200 out of BC. The Kenda Nevagals were like new (fresh orange sealant, nubs and all). I did end up going with 3.0 tires so they're kinda like plus width tires.... I built up a Turner 5 Spot which can take "up to" 650B wheels. I may eventually upgrade to 650B but I'm happy with the ridability so far.

Around me everything is tight and rocky. Plus I'm not a big guy (5'6" 135#). When I ride a 29er I feel like I'm riding my Dad's bike. I usually ride a small/medium frame so the 26 wheels feel/look proportional.

I took the money I saved on wheels/tires I put back into suspension. Once again; 26er suspension stuff is dirt cheap. I went with a fox float rear air spring and a fox 36 fork.

If you have $4-$7K to spend on a bike then go the 650B route. If you're on a budget, you may want to consider a 26er.

(Just the thoughts of a pro-26er......)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles