Wolverine maintenance thread

gxgn

Observer
This is a thread of a 4x4 newbie and since my Montero is fairly decently built it's going to be more focused on maintenance. Dan, the previous owner called it Wasabi but my wife thought best name is Wolverine, so here is journey of Wolverine.
This is a '99 Montero, with OME suspensions and a modified ARB bar. The roof rack is a Rhino. 167,000 miles - timing belt and a series of components were already changed at 146K.

Maintenance done in the first weeks since I owned it:
- changed oil (Mobil1 high mileage)
- changed front and rear differential oil: Amsoil 75W-90
- changed transfer case oil: Amsoil manual 75W-90 GL4
- transmission flush @ Mitsu dealer
- fixed the sunroof: cleaned tracks and drain tubes
- upcoming: Wix fuel filter

Repairs:
- replaced both front axles
- replaced rear rotors and pads
- changed some of the instrument cluster lights
- changed the shifter

Deep scrub&cleaning. Still need to do a polishing and waxing in the near future.

Other plans - build a platform bed thanks to images posted by SONICMSD

A few images taken on the road from Seattle to SoCal when I bought the car.
image13.jpg
image12.jpg
image11.jpg

gxgn

Observer
Changing the instrument cluster lights did not work as planned - I got two boxes of led's and most of the did not work, I tried to reverse the orientation based on feedback on the forum, nothing seemed to work. In the end I still have a over 20 lights in case someone local needs a few just stop by Huntington. Anyway, at least now I can see all of my lights except the belt lights, no big deal.

IMG_4814.JPG

gxgn

Observer
Having fun in Anza Borrengo, in Tom Severin's newbies class. My first time in the desert. How do you get rid of all the sand? It seems to be all over my engine.
IMG_4781.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 17

gxgn

Observer
Meeting woods and tyty13 - great guys who helped me with the shifter and breaks. The shifter I got on this forum had a different plate, you need to make sure you swap the plate too if it's different shape.I cannot figure out how to insure images in portrait orientation.

IMG_4818.JPGIMG_4821.JPG

gxgn

Observer
Helping the mechanic swap the axles...that wasn't as easy as I thought and he had a full garage.
IMG_4830.JPG IMG_4829.JPG

gxgn

Observer
Replacing the fog light in the ARB bar - I tried in 2 different days, no way to remove the screw that holds the H3 bulb. i even went a purchased a screw extractor. I ended up bending the tabs to remove the bulb.
IMG_4865.JPG

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Good job hooking up with Tom Severin. I taught him everything he knows.

No, that is just a Joke. Tom is awesome, and I've attended a few of HIS classes, not the other way around :)

gxgn

Observer
Went with the AZ crew in San Bernandino after the Mitsubishi days. Awesome guys I wish they were closer to OC. We drove in 120 degree and my auxiliary fan broke. Scorching hot with the heat turned on to let the engine cool off.

Replaced the fan (thank you Nathan) and had also the coolant flushed two times. Had a guy also flush the brake fluid and change the fuel filter. Now I have all fluids and filters changed with high performance parts.
Last week, I drove it at Hungrey Valley in 100 degree weather and it was perfect, AC on all the time. Met the previous owner, Eric - great guy, we drove together.

Decided to have the front end changed, some of the ball joints, tie rods needed replacement. I bought the entire front end (Moog parts) and had it swapped today. Replaced inner and outer tie rods, stabilizer bar links, ball joints and wheel bearings. Since everything was torn apart I took the rotors to Oriley and had them turned and got new brake pads too. I was ready to change the idler and pitman arms but it turned out they were in perfect shape so we left them in place for the moment - eventually when they wear out I'll replace with the ones ADD guys are selling. The Moogs idler and pitman arms are going back to Rockauto.

All I need now is an alignment and the car is ready for some new adventures.

IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
image6.jpeg
image5.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles