Picked up a M416 trailer minus the tub.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
So over the last few weeks I've been stuck in a hot pump room rebuilding a IBB pump and usually that's the time I get to think about future projects like with my jeep or a possible trailer. So I came across a decent buy only a couple hours away. The M416 trailer I found was in pretty decent shape as far as the frame goes. The wheel bearings were not good at all. I think there was roughly an inch wobble to it. So I was a little hesitant on driving it back home 2 hours (interstate speeds) so I hand packed the bearings as much as I could , and I slowed down to about 55 mph. I made it safely home. Well back to the ideas for the trailer. What made me think about needing or wanting an offroad trailer was because I mountain bike and white water kayak in my free time. But with a RTT my camping and kayaking combo just wont work and my bike rack is a little too close to the ground to be going offroad with a $4K mountain bike. So offroad trailer it is! Plus it will allow me to use that trailer as a "Base Camp". So first I purchased the M1101 about a month ago, its up for sale, now the M416 frame came across the computer screen at work. BINGO! I will clean up the frame and I will be ordering a Dinoot M-series tub kit, as a first choice, and for my second choice I would get the J series Extended.

jeep trailer m416 1.jpg

jeep trailer m416.jpg

So here is what my plan for the Jeep and the trailer (input or opinions are welcome):

Two main purposes for the Jeep and Trailer
- Living out of the Jeep (which has been done, and the real test will be on the TAT), I know fuel, water, and food will be need to be replenished every couple days to a few days, but as far as storage, tools, etc will have a place in the jeep.
- The trailer will be able to extend the travel distance with extra water, fuel, and food. With the trailer I will have the option to carry the tent/mountain bike/ or kayaks on it and which isn't on the trailer will go on top of the jeep.

Tub: Dinoot M-Series, Im in a debate about getting a tailgate option
Frame: M416
Axle: Two options- Timbren Heavy-Duty Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - 4" Lift Spindle - Off-Road Tires - 3,500 lbs or a straight 3500 lb axle with leaf springs
Brakes: Electric Trailer Brake Assembly - Self-Adjusting - 10"
Lights: LED tail lights, Side marker lights
Tires and Wheels: 35" BFG KM2 with 17" ProComp Series 51
Tongue Box: MaxxHaul Trailer Tongue Toolbox w/ Flush Mount Latch - 2.75 Cu Ft
Tail Lights: Miro-Flex LED Trailer Tail Lights - Submersible
Hitch: Max Coupler

Tub Cover: I am wanting to build a lid similar to the one in the picture below.

CoverLatches_zps524614a3.jpg

Roof Rack: I will build this also. I want to follow the similar build design as my Gobi Stealth Rack on my JKU. For one main reason, my roof top tent is mounted to the Gobi adjustable cross bars for the ease of taking the tent off the Jeep.

IMG_1196.JPG

The tub will be painted top match the Jeep and I will have to incorporate the reflective topography on the sides of the trailer tub.

If any of you see a flaw in my trailer plans or have ideas let me know!

rnArmy

Adventurer
You definitely have to post your trip if you take your Jeep and trailer on the TAT. That is one trip I've been wanting to do with my Jeep and trailer.

And I think the solid axle option with some new springs would be your best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior