The don't tread build thread

PacS14

Adventurer
Let it soak a couple of days on PB blaster or similar, if it snaps you can always weld another bolt to it to get it out, not the optimal way, but another option

Clutch Cargo

Observer
Damn that's a rough situation man, I hope it works out in your favor. Best luck I ever had with a seized crank bolt was on a geo tracker. Throw a socket on the head of the bolt and give it some good whacks with a hammer. That's the only way I could get mine out after heat failed to loosen it up. Good luck

DONT_TREAD

Observer
got my parts in plus a tap to fix the messed up threads on my crankshaft. If everything checks out after these parts are installed I'll proceed with the fun stuff i got planned. :sombrero:20170303_221129[1].jpg

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Well everything is in! Truck runs good but still has a little ticking I need to diagnose. It shifts a little rough when it's cold so I checked my transmission fluid and it was dark brown so I'm flushing it Saturday along with a regular oil change.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
One of my headlights went out so I bought two new Sylvania super something or others. Pretty bright for 45 bucks a pair. I also seafoamed it, didn't get that much smoke but I hope it's cleaner

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Well everything is in! Truck runs good but still has a little ticking I need to diagnose. It shifts a little rough when it's cold so I checked my transmission fluid and it was dark brown so I'm flushing it Saturday along with a regular oil change.

My 3.8 has a little tick also. Mechanic said was probably an exhaust leak but I was thinking lifters. Need to figure it out. will be watching to see what you find on yours. Will you be able to make to the Montero Meet Up in Anaheim this Saturday?

PacS14

Adventurer
You can try using sea foam in the engine oil for 15 minutes before oil change, I do that to all my vehicles except for my diesel truck, I used to own a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and they are famous for having that tick, once I did a few oil changes like that and changed to Rotella diesel oil the problems went away. Now I own a 1999 Montero and have done all the basic maintenance and timing belt, etc. no tick on mine but I do use the sea foam at every oil change and Rotella diesel oil still and have over 230k on mine and no issues yet, no tick.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
You can try using sea foam in the engine oil for 15 minutes before oil change, I do that to all my vehicles except for my diesel truck, I used to own a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and they are famous for having that tick, once I did a few oil changes like that and changed to Rotella diesel oil the problems went away. Now I own a 1999 Montero and have done all the basic maintenance and timing belt, etc. no tick on mine but I do use the sea foam at every oil change and Rotella diesel oil still and have over 230k on mine and no issues yet, no tick.

Thanks for the tip. Do you pour it in the oil and run the truck then change the oil?
So technically there would be a little sea foam left in the motor? Maybe that keeps things from sticking?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Thanks for the tip. Do you pour it in the oil and run the truck then change the oil?
So technically there would be a little sea foam left in the motor? Maybe that keeps things from sticking?

I've done this. Yes, you add it to the oil. Use maybe half a can, it's up to you.The stuff is so thin it immediately disperses in the oil and drains out easily, so I doubt there would be any significant quantity left in the engine after an oil change, plus you're adding back five quarts of new oil, so if there was any left, it would be miniscule compared to the total quantity of new oil. I'd disregard any residual effect it may have. The main benefit is to clean things out before the draining of the old oil. Of course, change the oil when the engine is warm.

John B.

PacS14

Adventurer
Thanks Johnny B!

Johnny pretty much covered it! Also diesel oil has more detergents in it and help keep your engine clean, I always thought maybe I was over doing it for no reason on my vehicles with the whole Seafoam and rotella oil, until I replaced the valve cover gaskets on my (now sold in order to buy the Montero) 96 Toyota T100, I will look for pictures and update this thread. I'm currently recovering from back surgery.

PacS14

Adventurer
I had never cleaned up the inside.

But you can see where the gears would splatter the oil and Seafoam onto the valve cover removing most of the old grime and burnt oil and leaving a nice golden shine to it.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
thats some awesome info PacS14. i put 10w 30 sythetic high mileage because it sounds like what i should have in it lol. i did a tranny flush with fresh spIII, drained and filled both diff and my t-case. took her to joshua and anza the past two weekends. i need 33's and bilsteins for sure. still havent figured out that tick but she runs great with no check engine codes so im not too worried

Attachments

• monty 6.jpg
    monty 6.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 2
  • monty 3.jpg
    monty 3.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 3

DONT_TREAD

Observer
still thinking about about a SR rear diff and front gearing swap. havent needed the rear locker yet but its a nice thing to have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior