The don't tread build thread

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Starting a build thread for the 97 ls I picked up last week. I'm hopefully going with a 2" lift and some all terrains, going to build a sleeping platform in the back and add a few other odds and ends

DONT_TREAD

Observer
How she sits right now, looking to get tires this weekend and order manual hubs and a lift

Attachments

• 20170216_200455.jpg
    20170216_200455.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170222_172137.jpg
    20170222_172137.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 32

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Welcome! Nice looking truck, looks like it has lift already or just tiny tires. How big of tires are you wanting?

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Sounds like a great plan! I have a MS that I did a 2" lift on and 255/85R16's (33.1"x10") and love the stance! Plus with the 4.90 gears I'm now getting noticeably better gas mileage on the highway and am more capable off-road. That's what I call win/win.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
No lift just tiny tires. I'm torn between bfg ko2's or General red letter grabbers. Both 33 10.5 r15
I don't know if they come in that size, but check out the Kumho AT51 E-rated tires. I got them for my rig and they're great, plus they won't break the bank.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
i pulled the steps off last night and damn does it look better. all parts ordering is on hold until i figure out a tic coming from the engine bay. its coming from the passenger side near the valve cover or exhaust manifold. pretty loud when i start it but goes away after i drive it for a bit.:mad: any help on what this might be or how to diagnose it?

Attachments

• 20170224_160739[1].jpg
    20170224_160739[1].jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 10

DONT_TREAD

Observer
I don't know if they come in that size, but check out the Kumho AT51 E-rated tires. I got them for my rig and they're great, plus they won't break the bank.

they do run them in that size but its almost 200 a tire :Wow1: is the traction on the at51's good? they look rad

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
i pulled the steps off last night and damn does it look better. all parts ordering is on hold until i figure out a tic coming from the engine bay. its coming from the passenger side near the valve cover or exhaust manifold. pretty loud when i start it but goes away after i drive it for a bit.:mad: any help on what this might be or how to diagnose it?
An exhaust leak often sounds like a tick. Check for any black around the manifold indicating an exhaust leak or feel for air coming out of the pipes. Also a lot of Mitsubishi lifters tend to tick. It could be a bad lifter or an oil level/pressure/viscosity issue.

they do run them in that size but its almost 200 a tire :Wow1: is the traction on the at51's good? they look rad
I had the old E rated Kumho Road Venture AT tires (not the newer AT51's) on my Montero Sport. They were very mild, more of an on-road all-terrain tire. The new design does look more aggressive though.

If the BFG K02's had been available in my size (255/85R16) I would have gone that route. However, I am very happy with the Cooper Discoverer ST's I got instead.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
35's are pretty nice with a 2" lift dude. The ticking is the lifters they put in those trucks, they updated them later. The only way to fix it is to buy the new lifters, or just live with it. Drive it really hard with good clean high detergent oil or full synthetic MIGHT quiet it down.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Whoa... I paid $512 for all 4 installed (LT265/75R16). Check TireBuyer.com as well as manufacturer rebates. $200 ea is way too high. Are you sure they're the ATs? Their mud tires are more if I remember correctly. Been very pleased with them everywhere I've gone (dry dirt, mud, rock, sand).

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Have your engine suck in a half-can of Seafoam through the brake booster vacuum port and you'll be able to tell if there's an exhaust leak. Boy, will you be able to tell...because the smoke comes out everywhere...

John B.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Whoa... I paid $512 for all 4 installed (LT265/75R16). Check TireBuyer.com as well as manufacturer rebates. $200 ea is way too high. Are you sure they're the ATs? Their mud tires are more if I remember correctly. Been very pleased with them everywhere I've gone (dry dirt, mud, rock, sand).
Sorry I worded that funny. The grabbers are that expensive not the at51 haha my bad. The at's are definitely contenders at my price point though.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
well f#$*

so the noise was my faulty timing belt pulley and my belt slapping around. my crank pulley was wobbling and i went to pull it to replace it it and the bolt is seized. kinda screwed at the moment. my dad was a mitsu master tech for 20+ years and he is not too optimistic about the state of my monty 20170225_124626[1].jpg20170225_132052[1].jpg20170225_115522[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior