Playing with floor plans ?

B85

Adventurer
Been working on a floor plan for my build.

The question is, have a stair well in the box and lose some floor space or have a outside landing and long stair way / ladder ? The drop from the box to the ground is 4'8".
Randy

Ramdough

Adventurer
I prefer the second option unless you have a height restriction (like the Pangea style lifting roofs) or you want you have a lower awning above it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Im coming from stairwell in a box to not.

Box, keeps mud/dirt/snow in the box pretty well. Less stairs to climb.

No box, more floor space, but more stairs. Need handrail for more stairs. Wiht no box, your door will feel shorter as there isnt a "step through" it if that makes sense.

At 4'8 I dont think its going to make a huge difference. Your stairs are going to be tall either way.

Ramdough

Adventurer
That is a very good point, having a mud room of sorts may keep the rest of the camper cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
B85,
I was this close....(holding thumb and forefinger almost together) to buying a 1078, 2 yrs ago when I sold my CJ-8. It had worn out tires and much of it was striped. Jeanie took one look at the pic and said no. Meanwhile, I've been working on optioning the best way to ascend to the inner sanctum of my Lance Camper on a 3" lifted RAM 2500 on 35's; shown with current free standing Little Giant 4-step, steps. Our pickup bed with the lift and taller tires is 48 inches from the ground. The overall height, loaded, is ten feet, 6 inches. Tall, yes, but narrow enough (86 inches) to circumvent most obstacles.

For ideas, here has been the train of events:
1. Factory aluminum steps that hung and bolted onto an "L" bracket at the rear. These were O.K. but rather narrow and a bit rickety and did not work well on uneven ground or on an up or down hill position. They did open and close easily. Note the added 4 straps to make the steps flat for entry; but there was no landing.

2. A second set by Tork Lift called Glow Steps which were wider and deeper, but also heavier and stiffer to unfurl. So stiff that it caused the bolts holding the "L" bracket to the bottom rear wooden frame of the camper to come apart. The ones below actually were pulled off the camper on a creek crossing that had a steep exit pitch and the departure angle caught a submerged rock and they were gone. Never did find them but Tork Lift sent me another set anyway.

3. Then an assortment of free standing steps/ladders. I didn't measure real well for the clearance altitude for this lightweight with the top cut off: You couldn't close the camper door without moving the ladder.

4. Then the current winner, the Little Giant. My idea was to have a stable platform from which to enter the Cazbah and could be hung on the camper's rear ladder for the night from the doorway for a bit more stealth when traveling. I measured correctly this time. With and without the upper hoop:

And finally, sleeping in the camper in the semi-stealth position with the steps bungied to a hook on the camper ladder.

Just some ideas for your MilSpec ride. I'm thinking you want as much interior space as possible so an inset landing would eat into that precious space. At one time I was plotting, as you are, on what kind of camper to apply to the M-1078. A thrifty option was a used pop up trailer, sans frame, known as a "Hi-lo" which cranked up and down similar to an Alaskan. Rare but they are out there. And the 14 foot frame rails of the 1078 could accomodate the longest Hi-lo and not be too tall for remote railroad underpasses or passing trees. This could solve the problem of 'too tall'. Keep us informed of your decisions.
jefe

Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
What about a fold down ramp in place stairs? Would take quite a bit less space. Easy to sweep or run water down to clean.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Been working on a floor plan for my build.

The question is, have a stair well in the box and lose some floor space or have a outside landing and long stair way / ladder ? The drop from the box to the ground is 4'8".
Randy

Combination of inside and outside wins my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior