Dual XGPS150A

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just curious what the concensus is with these units. I'm looking to use with Samsung Tab S2 running BCNP with the Accuterra maps. Having WAAS/GLONASS capability is an added bonus.

Thanks!

captadv

Spectator
Have you tried using the built-in GPS and found it to be inadequate?

I've have used the Dual with an early generation wifi only iPad that did not have GPS and it worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
Have you tried using the built-in GPS and found it to be inadequate?

I've have used the Dual with an early generation wifi only iPad that did not have GPS and it worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've seen it lag and be off set from my actual route. WAAS/GLONASS is a much better chips etc than what we get in our tablets. Plus, if I were to get the ADS-B unit, it would pull double duty in the tail dragger :)

bigskypylot

Explorer
I've been using mine for a couple years now with no problems.
Very Accurate even when running 2 mapping apps at the same time!

Good to know. I think the 160 is WAAS/GLONASS. The 150 is WAAS/EGNOS. What app are you using to connect? Dual's or a third party? Thanks for your input!

SnoViking

Adventurer
I've been running one with an iPad mini for about a year. I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't noticed any lag, but I don't usually watch the display like a hawk. It works for my needs. I picked mine up used on ebay for about $40. Wait for a used cheap one. (I use mine with Hema explorer.)

junglecaptn

Question about navigation maps using the XGPS150. New to this so bear with me. I guess I can't use the 150 with Google Maps on my iPad that does not have cell service? The location from the 150 moves along the map but as soon as I leave the area of my house in my truck the map ceases to refresh, I guess because I'm out of wifi range. So, the question is what map download do I use where the map stays refreshed as I travel? Do maps like Gaia, Avenza, Galileo, etc. maintain the route image with a wifi only iPad? I will be using for both highway and some backcountry/forest roads.

junglecaptn

I will answer my own question thanks to the info here on ExPort. I have downloaded Gaia to my iPad for these purposes. Will test this out soon.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have Hema NA. Don't care for it. Just picked up Gaia and learning it. My favorite so far has been Backcountry Navigator Pro. I purchased it b in 2011 with the Accuterra maps for $20 each. Now Accuterra is 20/year or $99 lifetime. I also have the POINT and Montana BLM maps. Really like it. As for Google Maps, you'll have to predownload just as you will need to with Gaia. Or if your phone can act as a mobile Hotspot etc, you can run off that and the Dual Unit.

Google Maps or Navigator however they wish to call it. On Android devices I know you can download a designated area you wish to download for offline use. Limited only by the amount of storage space you have available. If you have starred places in Google those will also be downloaded. Google maps will allow you to do navigation routes within this downloaded area. On Apple devices I do not know the app but would assume it does offer you the same feature set as it does in the Android app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier