LED Headlights - heated, or not...

wwddnnone

I believe the "heated" lights are simply using a small fan to move some of the heat from the LED heat sink at the back of the light to the front lens preventing them from freezing over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I actually just installed a set of JW Speaker 8900 LED lights on my XJ. I love them so far. So much better than the stockers.

I just looked these up. $500 a set? Holy crap. According to the KBB private party sale value, my daily driver 1996 ZJ with 255xxx mile on it is worth $655. I can't imagine spending almost the value of my truck on a set of headlights.

I just put the top of the line Sylvania Halogens in my 01 XJ. Got them out of a wrecked XJ in the junkyard for $2.50 each...

unkamonkey

Explorer
I just looked these up. $500 a set? Holy crap. According to the KBB private party sale value, my daily driver 1996 ZJ with 255xxx mile on it is worth $655. I can't imagine spending almost the value of my truck on a set of headlights.

I just put the top of the line Sylvania Halogens in my 01 XJ. Got them out of a wrecked XJ in the junkyard for $2.50 each...
So, you have some sanity and didn't go for an overpriced headlight. Good for you.

I believe the "heated" lights are simply using a small fan to move some of the heat from the LED heat sink at the back of the light to the front lens preventing them from freezing over.

No, they do have a thin heater element in the lens, a finer version of a rear window defroster.

Septu

Explorer
Do you often find yourself cleaning your stock headlights of accumulated snow or ice in the winter? If so, I would go heated.

It's not quite the same with non-heated LEDs. Because they do not give off any heat, snow doesn't stick to them - at least the regular stuff. I would have cleaned the stock ones a dozen times by now. All I've done so far this winter is clean the dirt off a bunch of times. Not really sure how my non heated ones would do with wet sticky snow - we just do not get it that often up here.

I ve had the 8700 evolution for 2 winter now, an i live in canada. So i get used to snow and ****ty temp. never had any problem what so ever.

These are the ones I have too. I used to have the TLs before too. I'm just not entirely sure how these would work if I was in a really heavy snow fall where it's all wet. We've had that a few times up here and I've driven in it and never had an issue, but I'm hesitant to say it couldn't happen to someone else, elsewhere due to how dry/arid it typically is up here.

ApexWrangler

The heated version of the Truck-Lite's are completely worth it if you have to do any sort of driving in snow or icy conditions.

I've had the JW Speaker & the Truck-Lite's in my XJ, and I've driven Wranglers with the heated 7" round Truck-Lites. They really do make a difference in the snow. Without the heating element in the lens, the LED's just don't project enough heat to keep the headlights free from getting packed with snow.

Check out this video we did for them a little while back

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
With my trucklite 5X7 LED headlights, I've delt with two weeks of snow last year and I haven't had any issues regarding snow and there were some heavy snow falls. I keep them extremely clean with multiple coats of wax.
But just in case I have a pair of Hella 700FF...

Coachgeo

Explorer
People say..... works for me and I live in snow country..... others say no it doesn't work for me and I live in snow country........ and the correct answer probably is...... BOTH

Snow country varies. Average type of snowfall in some places I'm betting is very different than the average type of snowfall in other places. Wind direction may even play a part.

UtahGuido

The OEM LED headlights in my 2027 JKU get coated over pretty quickly in any sort of snow storm, this in Northern Utah. Must be because it’s “the greatest snow on earth”. Pain in the neck and I has me looking around for other options/solutions.

Justincredible

Adventurer
The OEM LED headlights in my 2027 JKU get coated over pretty quickly in any sort of snow storm, this in Northern Utah. Must be because it’s “the greatest snow on earth”. Pain in the neck and I has me looking around for other options/solutions.

I switched from LEDs to Hella H4s for that reason. The light isn't as good, but it's better than the factory halogens and they don't pack with snow.
It only took me 1 work commute and 1 trip home from St. George in snow (stopping every 20 miles or so to clear the headlights) to figure out I needed to switch.

Lmg

I switched from LEDs to Hella H4s for that reason. The light isn't as good, but it's better than the factory halogens and they don't pack with snow.
It only took me 1 work commute and 1 trip home from St. George in snow (stopping every 20 miles or so to clear the headlights) to figure out I needed to switch.

I have been wanting to make the same switch.

Do you mind stating what components are required?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
JW Speaker has two rectangular LED headlights on the market right now with heated lenses and will release a heated 7" round sometime in the future (soon, I hope).
I'm still running their prototype 8700-J lamps and we had a 22 hour wet snow event recently. I drove about 25 miles at oh-dark-thirty and had to get out (in my gym shorts) 7 times to scrape the ice off them.
Dry snow doesn't stick to them in my experience.

The original JW Speaker model 8700 did that; they had a glass lens and very large body. The JK had to be modified (grinder and relocation of the airbag sensor) to fit them. But the fan thing worked great.
Those lights were phased out long ago and replaced with the 8700 Evolution, plastic lens, small body, two more projectors. Better light but no warm lens.

JWS and TL use a heated grid now.

The Hellas work quite well. But, if you like them, you'd probably like a Cibie better.
I had the Hella Vision Plus' installed on my 1998 Jeep TJ back in 1999. Still running the same exact pair of headlamps and same bulbs for almost 20 years.

Only issue I have had was with dirt collecting in the reflector inside the housing due to high water crossings in the Pine Barrens of NJ.

I removed them and then the bulbs and used a bottle brush to clean them and then reinstalled just as new.

Replacement LED's might be the cats meow to some, but money wise and performance wise I'll stick with my Hellas and save the cash for something else like maybe auxiliary off road LED's.

I would think that street legal headlamps would only be allowed to be so bright by federal regulation or am I wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles