LED Headlights - heated, or not...

As anyone with a JK/JKU with standard headlights knows, they are marginally better than a whale oil lamp. So I'm looking to upgrade to LEDs. We live in Western Washington so we don't get that much snow and ice, but when we do it's that wet sloppy stuff that builds up on everything. Heading out over the passes there's a lot of snow, but still pretty sticky. We really wouldn't need the heated very often, but when you do, it's in bad conditions and its at those times you don't want be wishing you didn't cheap out on something, especially when it's my wife's daily driver.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for heated ones, (seems Rigid is attaching their name to Truck-lite now?). Looking at the review of the Quadratech non-heated ones by EugeneThe TJ (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ights-Writeup-and-Review?highlight=headlights), it made me start reconsidering if it's worth it for the heated. Seems people are happy with the Truck-Lites, although not specifically the heated ones. Are the Truck-lite ones a good option, decent cut-offs, anyone have any experience. Functionality for 99% of the time is more important, than good thing to have for less than 1% of the time (and more money... too).

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
As anyone with a JK/JKU with standard headlights knows, they are marginally better than a whale oil lamp. So I'm looking to upgrade to LEDs. We live in Western Washington so we don't get that much snow and ice, but when we do it's that wet sloppy stuff that builds up on everything. Heading out over the passes there's a lot of snow, but still pretty sticky. We really wouldn't need the heated very often, but when you do, it's in bad conditions and its at those times you don't want be wishing you didn't cheap out on something, especially when it's my wife's daily driver.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for heated ones, (seems Rigid is attaching their name to Truck-lite now?). Looking at the review of the Quadratech non-heated ones by EugeneThe TJ (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ights-Writeup-and-Review?highlight=headlights), it made me start reconsidering if it's worth it for the heated. Seems people are happy with the Truck-Lites, although not specifically the heated ones. Are the Truck-lite ones a good option, decent cut-offs, anyone have any experience. Functionality for 99% of the time is more important, than good thing to have for less than 1% of the time (and more money... too).

Truck Lite now owns Rigid, for what it's worth.

A lot of new headlamps—even from the factory—are coming with LEDs including Toyota Corollas, Cadillac Escalades, and so on. I actually just installed a set of JW Speaker 8900 LED lights on my XJ. I love them so far. So much better than the stockers.

I've lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin and never really had to worry about the headlights getting totally covered by snow—halogen or not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, frankly.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Do you often find yourself cleaning your stock headlights of accumulated snow or ice in the winter? If so, I would go heated.

Dexter612

I just put a set of Truck Lite 27270C on my JKU. I'm not happy with the spotty light pattern. I added the horizontal adjustment screws. That help a lot, but the beam is still spotty. The hi beam shifts up and left of the low beam. I contacted customer service. They quickly passed me off to someone that hasn't responded back. I will most likely return them and look for another option. I have no idea if snow would be an issue.

Coachgeo

Explorer
If you live in WA yeah get heated. Regular head lights and Halogens warm the lens and help but LED does NOTHING to temperature of lens. Thus; IMHO if you live in snow country, unless your trying to cut down energy loss of headlights I'd say get Halgons. They melt snow better than regular Headlights and possibly as good as heated LED's.

Consider off road Halgons and aim them little lower. Technically not road legal (hince the lower aim to not bother oncoming drivers as much). You'll increase your light off road siginificantly and have toasty warm maybe even snowless clear headlights in winter.

wADVr

Adventurer
I went with HIDProjectors.com HIDs. The last thing I want to worry about is pulling over to clear my headlights off in a snow storm at night. I see several JKs with the LEDs that look like they are running projectors as only a small portion in the middle of the light is projecting light though the packed snow. Maybe that's enough to see but not sure. The difference I see with all the cars running LEDs is they are not in vertical snow catching housings.

Just my opinion, I would really like to run LEDs in my XJ though but no one makes a heated lense for 5x7. As I said above, maybe the small portion that still shines may be enough, I do see truckers running LED conversions...

I'm leaning more towards the un-heated ones for us. We don't have to deal with bad enough conditions that often to justify spending the extra on it (which means I can spend it on something else we really don't need either). I am putting some halogen driving lights on the front, so if we do get into those types of conditions, then I can always use them. I haven't really heard of any of the OEM LED headlights being heated, which makes me think it's less of a real issue than some of us armchair quarterbacks (i.e. - me) think it is.

DailyJeep

Adventurer
I think the question is do the heating elements really do a bang on job of keeping the lens clear? I had TLs on my XJ (thus non-heated) and they did get snow covered during one snowfall last year. However, stock halogens would have been covered too. It was a heavy, wet snow and low 20s. The stock headlight bucket just makes it impossible to evacuate snow, I'd wager even heated lights couldn't keep up once at speed and dealing with low teen windchills. I think heated sounds like a nice idea but not sure if it's worth any extra money. Afterall, how often do you drive in a snow storm at night? If the answer is frequently, then maybe give it a shot. If not, getting out to clear headlights off isn't the end of the world. I'd just make sure to regularly coat them with Plexus or Sonax Polymer Net Shield as either product will help prevent moisture build up. I LOVED these headlights. Between my two XJs, it was my favorite upgrade.

Regarding headlights on JKU, which I now have, I have JW Speaker headlights and fogs. The headlights are good but honestly, I think it's the fog lights that make the biggest difference. This is partially due to the fact I'm sitting so much higher on 37s, but if I just had the headlights without the fogs, I'd be pissed I spent that much money on headlights (they were on Jeep when purchased). They just don't throw enough light onto the ground close to the vehicle. I always end up driving with headlights and fogs on. It probably helps that I have an ARB bumper so my fog lights also sit wider than stock location so my fog lights also help cast a really wide beam. FWIW, my advice would be get a cheaper set of LED headlights like the Quadratec, but still spring for the JWS fogs. The fog lights are the cheaper lights anyhow.

20160323_085920_zpsgb4ar1wk.jpg

20160323_085935_zpsidlqvyyq.jpg

Last edited:
In reality, it would take a lot of buildup to drop the level of output of some decent LED headlights to get them down to the level of the stock ones. They seem to be more of a marker light than something to be used for illumination.

SEREvince

Adventurer
I've been running 2017 OEM LED headlights on my 14JKU all winter. It's snowed, sleeted, rained, freezing rain, graupeled, in fact it's snowing as I type this. (I don't ski, I'm over it). In short, I've had zero issues. the increased illumination is AMAZING. I researched headlight options till my eyes burned. Just buy the 17 OEM LEDs and be done. You can thank me later.

Dexter612

Truck Lite sent me aiming directions for the lights. It helped. Pattern is better, but still spotty. It snowed on my way in to work tonight. The lenses covered up with ice which diffused the distance the light projected. Definitely go heated. I will be removing these. IMG_5898.jpg

ivers

Observer
I ve had the 8700 evolution for 2 winter now, an i live in canada. So i get used to snow and ****ty temp. never had any problem what so ever.

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 31

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Truck Lite sent me aiming directions for the lights. It helped. Pattern is better, but still spotty. It snowed on my way in to work tonight. The lenses covered up with ice which diffused the distance the light projected. Definitely go heated. I will be removing these. View attachment 389221

Try Rain-X on them first. Shame to spend the money on a second set.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles