Chevy Express 4wd Conversion - Frame Swap?

jknight

I have something rolling around in my head, and at this point i believe it is possible, but i'm not 100% sure that it is.

My Thought: Putting an Express Body on a Suburban 4x4 Frame.

Suburban Frame will need to be stretched - due to wheel base differences

Steering may have to be adjusted a little bit

Body to Frame mounting locations may need to be moved around some.

Everything else will be little, such as wires, brake lines, and fuel lines being stretched as well, and the harness being dealt with.

As of right now, those are the only obstacles i could think of. I dont have any hard numbers as far as measurements at the moment, but i'm thinking with someone willing to try it (Me) it may be possible.

Part of the suburban frame could be spliced into the van frame as needed also.

Someone give me some feedback, on why or why not this is a possible or an impossible thing to do. The motors would be the same. So either it would be a pre LS (2002 or older) van matching with a pre ls (1999 or older) suburban. Or the other way around. Open to all ideas/criticism/exprience on this one.

FYI: i am seriously considering doing this. or trying to do what quigley does. I have a lift, welder, and all the tools and experience needed to make it happen if possible. I just have never compared the frames or taken measurements, but in my head i can see it working

bdog1

Adventurer
Everyone needs a good project, but, why not pick up an AWD express? You could swap the t-case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Des Bennett

I have an AWD GMC Savana, I am really happy with it. Unless you wanted to go with a solid front axle, I don't really see the point, and if you did, I don't think you need to do a frame swap, just an axle modification.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

macexpress

Observer
Anything is possible if you want it bad enough. I have a friend that put a duramax in a 3/4 ton suburban frame and put an avalanche body on it. It turned out really nice and everything looks factory.
If you do it do a duramax van to a 3/4 ton frame for the ultimate 4x4 van!

Choff

Adventurer
Life is to short to take on such a project,
you will run into all kinds of stuff to work out , not saying you can not do it!! But
buy a AWD Van or 4 X 4 Ford and enjoy VAN life!!!!!!!!

zuren

Adventurer
Anything is possible with enough money and time. While I have never attempted such a project, what I always read from others attempts is that the devil is in the details. Lifting the body off one and onto another is the easy part; creating mounts, making sure everything lines up, and connects properly is the hard part.

I have no proof, but I would think that you would be money and time ahead by adding 4x4 to a van or doing a Colorado Camper Van conversion to a Suburban/Expedition/Excursion. I know I've seen pics of a CCV top on an Excursion.

There was an "upfitter" site that had detailed drawings of Chevy and Ford truck and van platforms. If the Suburban shares the same frame as the trucks, they are different from the vans. This might be a show stopper for you.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'd pick up some 05+ superduty axles, coil springs and radius arms and put them under the van frame. Then swap a 4wd trans/transfer-case into the van, build driveshafts, run brake lines, and call it good....

303Dizzy

Like what you're saying here. VW is in the process of buying my tdi. I'm on the fence over a Suburban or a conversion AWD van. I love all the room in the van. My 3 dogs are always travelling with me. Still not sure what I want. I like the room in a van, but not sure it will be rugged enough. Even thought of a suburban and have someone install a pop-up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94