Thinking about a new Frontier......but.....

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Now for self inflicted breakage.... 2 front diffs, 1 rear diff, 1 rear driveshaft CV, rear swaybar links, a couple of batteries.... I think thats it. But every failure has been an opportunity to upgrade. ANd nothing that has been upgraded has broken since. I'd drive it anywhere in North America tomorrow.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Now for self inflicted breakage.... 2 front diffs, 1 rear diff, 1 rear driveshaft CV, rear swaybar links, a couple of batteries.... I think thats it. But every failure has been an opportunity to upgrade. ANd nothing that has been upgraded has broken since. I'd drive it anywhere in North America tomorrow.

How'd you manage the front and rear differential? LoL

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The first front diff was my fault. Too much wheelspin in deep snow with heavy snow chains in Vermont. One front chain grabbed a tree stump hidden under the snow while spinning at probably 25mph or so.

The second front diff was an anomaly. The pinion sheared in half while climbing a gnarly trail in Colorado at 12k feet.

The rear diff (C200k) was in Moab shortly after the second front diff. When the front broke, I definitely abused the rear diff in 2WD to get off the trail and likely weakened it.

I since upgraded with an M226 swapped in the rear and M205 in the front, both with ARBs and 4.56 gears.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
As for breakages, I've only really broken a front diff. Wheel spin in the snow, 33s, and suddenly smashing the brakes. Not a great combination. I replaced it with an M226 and don't expect any further problems with it going forward. The M226 is very solid. There's a guy on ClubFrontier running one with 35s. He's broken plenty of CV shafts, never the diff.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, not sure why the one I had was such a problem child. I am a member on the TheNewX and would post when I had problems.

I went and drove one of the 2016's I have been thinking about. Not much has changed on the interior except the radio has a nav system now.

Still thinking. The thought of spending $30K on a new vehicle makes me pause.
Especially when the same truck can be found far far cheaper a couple yrs old. I honestly do not get why people buy new when the new rig is no different than a 8 yr old rig.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I had something with my rear diff (M226) go bad, caused a bunch of lights to go off, I had been chasing it for a while with a paper trail at Nissan. They finally caught it just out of warranty but Nissan corporate did a goodwill replacement with the newer (2009) M226. I also had my trans go out (non smod) was an anomaly. Sent it to Level Ten and happy with it :) also replaced both front wheel bearings and a radiator with a Griffin unit.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Especially when the same truck can be found far far cheaper a couple yrs old. I honestly do not get why people buy new when the new rig is no different than a 8 yr old rig.

For me it was because it was cheaper. When I bought mine the Canadian dollar took a dive. I was able to sell my used truck for more in the us before exchange rate, then I was asking locally. Then used Frontiers, less then 3 years old and low km, were the same price as what I bought my new one for from the dealer, and I got .9% financing.

bigskypylot

Explorer
For me it was because it was cheaper. When I bought mine the Canadian dollar took a dive. I was able to sell my used truck for more in the us before exchange rate, then I was asking locally. Then used Frontiers, less then 3 years old and low km, were the same price as what I bought my new one for from the dealer, and I got .9% financing.

Gotta work the system to your advantage

p nut

butter
I can see the Tacoma being ~$10k more, but a Colorado? They discount those pretty heavily. I would expect the final price to come out around what you pay for a Frontier, or maybe even cheaper.

colodak

Adventurer
I can see the Tacoma being ~$10k more, but a Colorado? They discount those pretty heavily. I would expect the final price to come out around what you pay for a Frontier, or maybe even cheaper.

Not sure who told you they discount the Colorado, a fully loaded Z71 Colorado Crew Cab diesel short bed is $45K, take it or leave it priced. The new ZR2 Colorado's are expected to be $50K.

Local Napa auto talk show on Sat. mornings, the one host does vehicles tests as well, in his opinion, the Frontier is the best of the bunch, it's the cheapest, and quite frankly the most underrated, BUT, you have to be willing to overlook it's also more "plastic" on the inside. Expo Portal via their FB page did a long term test on the Colorado, they hyped it pretty good, before buying my Frontier I looked at them, no thanks. Highest price, smallest platform, least interior space, most unproven platform. In theory, the Tacoma and Frontier are at least based on a world wide platform.

I currently have 40K on my '15 Frontier, warranty items: paint (bumper paint began peeling), XM will occasionally tell me the antenna is unplugged, they check it, it's fine, a glitch. Replaced the front brakes at 36K.

p nut

butter
Not sure who told you they discount the Colorado, a fully loaded Z71 Colorado Crew Cab diesel short bed is $45K, take it or leave it priced. The new ZR2 Colorado's are expected to be $50K...

So you're comparing a fully optioned out Colorado Z71/ZR2 diesel to these trucks? Not a fair comparison or "equivalently" optioned like the OP said. Talk to Chevy dealers. There are some good discounts on those Colorado's.

gnarshredder

2008 Frontier CC SB 4x4 SE. 179K and owned since 5K Had to replace timing chain at 100K which was a common issue 05-09. Bearing Failure on rear diff also at around 100K. Currently check engine light is on for a bad catalytic converter = $700 for new CA approved cat. Other than that, I have some paint failure on the roof and a few misc. replacements here and there.

Bottom Line - I am considering a 2017 CC LB 4x4 SV in the near future. It's been a good truck. Seating position is way better than tacoma too. I've owned both and like both but the tacoma tax is brutal.

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
My brother works for a commercial lease company/ resale dealer & he can literally havr any truck he wants. He couldn't get out of his Tacoma fast enough. Terrible seating position if you're over 6 ft

02pathfinder

Observer
I too have been shopping frontiers, as well as 4runners and tacomas. The frontier is a hard bargain not to buy. My area (indiana) seems to be flooded with off lease 1-2yr old frontiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior