Thinking about a new Frontier......but.....

BigBamBoo

Observer
So I am looking for a new adventure rig. And the local Nissan dealer has a some 2016 Frontier Pro-4X crew cabs at a pretty good discount.

But....I owned a 2009 Xterra that was not good but a headache. Within 35K miles I had the following items fail on it:

Rear axle
Alternator
Radiator
And it had a gear whine at Hwy speeds that they could never track down.

Along with the "normal" issues....hood latch squeak, wet box rattle, etc.

I pretty swore I would never own another Nissan product after that. But we come back to the price. If I wanted the equivalent type rig in a Toyota or Chevy Colorado, I would have to fork out another $10K+.

So for those who have the newer Feontier's or Xterra's, please chime in.

Thanks

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have a 2014 Xterra that I purchased new and it has been flawless through 50K miles of very hard driving, aside from self inflicted breakage.

Edit: I take that back, I cant categorize the ABS wiring failure as self inflicted. One of the wires from the ABS module to the left rear wheel speed sensor broke somewhere in the harness.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
my dad picked one up last summer, probably 40K on it and I haven't heard about an issue yet, he loves the thing and got a great deal on it too

BigBamBoo

Observer
Good to hear. I just don't want a repeat of the Xterra. I sold the Xterra right after the warranty expired.

I also remembered that the Xterra had a problem with the tire pressure monitors. It would randomly say the tire pressure was low. Had two sets of sensors installed under warranty and it never cured the problem.

Still thinking and shopping. Keep the input coming.

JakeH

Adventurer
I've had my Frontier pro4x for almost 4 years, almost 90k miles & not a single issue. I plan to keep it for at least 200k. Tire pressure monitors do go bad every now & then but discount Tire replaces them for free. Pretty well sorted vehicle

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I've got 173k on my 05 Frontier and it's been almost entirely without fault. I've had to change out a few sensors here and there and a u-joint or two, but otherwise it's been excellent.

Last edited:

PGtroll1

I've sold Nissans for the last 5 years, out of all of the vehicles in the line-up, I've seen the Frontiers and Xterras come back the *least* for issues. The Frontiers are solid trucks, I've seen them abused and just keep on going with no issues.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I've sold Nissans for the last 5 years, out of all of the vehicles in the line-up, I've seen the Frontiers and Xterras come back the *least* for issues. The Frontiers are solid trucks, I've seen them abused and just keep on going with no issues.

That's been my observation as well.

OP, I'm really surprised your X gave you so many problems. That's highly irregular. There's a guy on TheNewX that has 350k on his with almost NO issues to date. I'm really shocked that yours was so problematic. Perhaps you bought one that was made on a Monday after a big drinking holiday down in Tennessee?

BigBamBoo

Observer
Yeah, not sure why the one I had was such a problem child. I am a member on the TheNewX and would post when I had problems.

I went and drove one of the 2016's I have been thinking about. Not much has changed on the interior except the radio has a nav system now.

Still thinking. The thought of spending $30K on a new vehicle makes me pause.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
My 2015 Pro4x has 35k km on it. Only issues so far have been a rear pinion seal leak sunroof that wouldn't close the day I brought it home, and a squeak in the dash. The sunroof has a learn procedure and when my dad bought his 2015 Pro4X after mine he had the same issue. The squeak in the dash was fixed right away as well. The pinion seal went early on and was fixed easily by the Nissan dealer. My dad is also having trouble with his head unit. Every new vehicle I have ever owned has had some issue under warranty as build issues get sorted. I would have to say that the Frontier has had the least. The rear diffs on these trucks, at least the Pro4X versions are the same as Titans. Pretty strong but not without their issues. Doing the vent mod is essential early on as well as following the proper break in procedure. No full acceleration towing or heavy payloads for the first 1k km.

deuxdiesel

Observer
I traded in my '10 Xterra with 165,000 miles on a '16 Frontier P4X. I made sure to get the manual transmission which eliminates the most worrisome issue (SMOD). I look long and hard at a Tacoma and 4Runner, but the value a Frontier offers can't be beat.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Our 07 Xterra has 250000km on it, and aside from replacement of regular items (hubs, brakes, couple of minor things, etc) it has been great and very reliable. The Wife and I gave been chatting about what our next vehicle down the road might likely be, and we've really settled on the Frontier Pro-4X. It would allow me to swap over many of the goodies I have on the Xterra and get into a mid sized truck.

Sent from the Mountains

jhberria

Adventurer
I have a '14 Xterra Pro-4x nearing 56k miles. The only issues I've had (that weren't self-imposed) are a broken front sway bar link and a squeaky belt. Both were replaced under warranty. I've since removed the front sway bar and the belt or tensioner is now squeaking again on cold days. Otherwise, the truck is mechanically perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles