Sewing and Sewing Machine Recommendations?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I used to work at an auto upholstery shop years ago. I have stayed friends with the owner over the years. He now just does marine upholstery. I have watched his workers sew through some pretty thick clear plastic to replace boat canvas windows with a Consew. He told me he sold his Jukis a while back. Not that they are bad, he just found the Consews more fitting for his work. It is nice to have friends that do that stuff! He is going to show me how to get started. My buddy picked up a couple of old Singers from the 60s for $30 I can beat on. I will step up in the future when I get to know more of what I am doing.

captadv

Spectator
Sailrite! I had one on my sailboat. Loved this indestructible machine, which you can also use without power..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GeoBruin

I have the Singer 4432 mentioned earlier in the thread and while I get a ton of use out of it and push it harder that it should be, it's really not a heavy duty machine.

If I had the money right now, I'd get the Sailrite LSZ-1.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Josh41

Adventurer
I have a Sailrite LSZ-1 as well, amazing machine with great support from Sailrite. They will talk you through any issues you have. I have had mine for about 10 years. Boat covers, cushions, bags, etc. Expensive but worth it in the long run.

I've got a Brother industrial machine. Got it from a friend who had a garment business in NC. Dang thing even has a oil pan under the machine. Best part, the machine was free, but I had to buy a motor. His were 3 phase clutch motors. I bought a 110v DC servo motor for $128 shipped. I'll be using it to make my side panels and cushion upholstery for the 4 Wheel camper I'm rebuilding.

Jsilverado

I do upholstery by trade and I have a consew industrial machine. You probably won't be able to find one less than 6-700 + used. A new one is around 1500 with motor and table but you will be able to sew almost anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
That is what my old boss replaced his Jukis with. I know they go through some pretty thick plastic with canvas!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My buddy got me a big time score! He picked me up a Pfaff 138 in great shape for $150. I can't wait to get familiar with it and start making some stuff.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I messed with it a little bit but I am going to have a friend that knows how to give these things the once over twice before I do anything more. It seems to work ok. Probably clean it up some more too. Anyone recommend a good oil for these?
19055011_10207115090276207_760465866066284359_o.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
I messed with it a little bit but I am going to have a friend that knows how to give these things the once over twice before I do anything more. It seems to work ok. Probably clean it up some more too. Anyone recommend a good oil for these?
Any sewing machine oil will work.
Kevin

Lucky j

Explorer

10w40 if you install a v8 under the table! ;)

Nice setup!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I took the Pfaff over to my old boss's place to have him take a look at it. He said it is a great starter machine. He is going to teach me some sewing stuff on one of his Consews Wednesday. I think it will be frames for boat canvases. Whatever it is, I am anxious to start figuring things out. I have some good ideas plsu have been getting some offers on some upholstery jobs already. Some nice easy camper cushion recover jobs. Plus I have to recover a ser of seats for a '73 SS Chevelle. They are a kit of replacement seat covers. I haven't done any in a while but they should be pretty straight forward.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Well, the old Pfaff must have been sitting a while. I really hadn't had much of a chance to use it. I had my friend's machine mech come over and give it a once over. The clutch motor was just about ready to crap out. I ended up finding a Consew servo motor that should work. I got started mounting up tonight. It is a super-light unit and is a jump from 1/3 hp up to 3/4. I should have it going in a day or so. I have a couple jobs lined up as soon as I get it straightened out. I am anxious to see how this servo motor works. It is supposed to be much smother once I get it dialed in.

I may have a line on a Consew machine. I am waiting to find out if it is a walking foot or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne