Sewing and Sewing Machine Recommendations?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Finally Chose!

OP back... I finally picked up a machine. A Husqvarna Viking 6430. It was a $100 craigslist find. It works, and comes with the original case, operators manual, a ton of accessories, and what appear to be service records from a local sewing repair shop.

I'm pretty excited by it, even though 20 minutes of cutting a t-shirt into strips and sewing them together constitutes about 99.75% of my worldly sewing experience.

Here is a really good feature... it is heavy. Buying equipment by the pound has usually worked out well for me.

Here is the best feature ever... it smells like the interior of my 1973 Jaguar did. There is just something about old leather, oil, and fabric smell that says quality. With that in mind, I sure hope this thing runs better than my Jag did...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Great machine. Now tell us what colour ! I remember Huskvarna offered a freaky orange back in the day...

Sadly, not orange. I saw those on YouTube and it would have been awesome! If I ever have to tear it down to the frame there may be a respray in the cards. This machine has been used enough that the paint is worn in some spots.

burningac1d

Ask family, friends, coworkers if anyone has a sewing machine they no longer use. Often very easy to find someone who just wants to give one away so it will be used. (Then ask them if they will show you how to use it!!)

There a lot of threads on various brands/models and reviews of sewing machines. Here is one model that a number of people have (including me--got mine for $99 on an Amazon flash sale). If you go into "Advanced Search" and use keywords "sewing machine" and choose "Search Titles Only" you will find LOTS of information on what people are using.

There is also this thread, where folks show and comment on what they are using.

I agree that finding instruction will decrease your frustration level immensely by having someone there to show you how to handle common issues. A class at community college would be great if no one you know can help teach you.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Nice old thread on a subject I like!
I started sewing in the late 80's on a $25 Brother / garage sale sewing machine. I did it out of necessity due to there not being any of the tactical gear available in those days(other than army surplus). Over the years I made everything from tacvests to off-road gear, bags,etc...after retiring in 2012 I invested in a REX commercial walking foot machine that was built in 1964 in Japan. That machine did everything ATC needed until our business outgrew it. We now have a small fleet of Juki 1541's, Bartackers, Labelers, etc...I have an 1541s in my Development cave where all custom and product development gets done. Love the power, speed, precision of the Juki machines. I still have my old REX in the corner of the cave and use it from time to time. Goodluck with whatever machine you go with!

Last edited:

pigeonfarmboy

Nice old thread on a subject I like!
I started sewing in the late 80's on a $25 Brother / garage sale sewing machine. I did it out of necessity due to there not being any of the tactical gear available in those days(other than army surplus). Over the years I made everything from tacvests to off-road gear, bags,etc...after retiring in 2012 I invested in a REX commercial walking foot machine that was built in 1964 in Japan. That machine did everything ATC needed until our business outgrew it. We now have a small fleet of Juki 1541's, Bartackers, Labelers, etc...I have an 1541s in my Development cave where all custom and product development gets done. Love the power, speed, precision of the Juki machines. I still have my old REX in the corner of the cave and use it from time to time. Goodluck with whatever machine you go with!
Cool insight. I keep meaning to pick up one of your waxed gear bags!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier