Sewing and Sewing Machine Recommendations?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hey All,

I've never owned a sewing machine. Recently, I've wanted to take on a few projects that really required fabric work to make life happier. I'm looking at things like canvas work, straps and buckles, etc... I like to build with a lot of other materials, so I could see myself getting into fabrics as well.

Knowing nothing, I decided to go chat up ladies at JoAnn Fabrics. It took the sewing machine lady about 15 seconds to tell me which model I wanted, I had barely opened my mouth. she said the Husquavarna Viking Emerald 118 was the most popular model bought by men. She claimed it was simple, robust, could sew through 6 layers of denim, and would be just fine for canvas, webbing, camping gear, etc...

So, it has an attractive price point, and it is almost impossible to find a used one (I generally think that is a good sign for a product). The question is, does anyone think this is a good choice? Why or why not?

As a side note, when I reached out to my group of "car guy" friends, I discovered that I was the only one without a sewing machine. Five of them had at least 2 each. Two of them had bought other machines on Craigslist then gave up on trying to get them working and bought the same model I'm looking at for sewing seat upholstery and similar items. Certainly that speaks strongly for the machine, but I like to investigate before spending $500.

Please share your experiences and opinions.

Thanks,

Nate

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have Artisans, Older Mitsu double needle and a highlead. Also look for used Consews, Jukis or duerkopp adler. I do automotive upholstery and restoration for a living. Let me know if you have questions.
Kevin

Seumas

Nate,

You really can't go wrong with a Husquavarna. Outside of that, look for an OLD Singer --one with the all-metal case and gears and few frills --tough as nails they are. At the very least, find one with metal gears --not plastic... :)

Last edited:

samer0214

What machine recommendation will also work for sewing leather. I have a couple of leather car seats I would like to patch. Not planning on sewing up a full seat, looking to replace a couple of panels only where the seam has come undone. Would a decent regular machine with the proper needle and thread, handle repairs like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
What machine recommendation will also work for sewing leather. I have a couple of leather car seats I would like to patch. Not planning on sewing up a full seat, looking to replace a couple of panels only where the seam has come undone. Would a decent regular machine with the proper needle and thread, handle repairs like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You really need an industrial walking foot for this kind of work. The issues is with box store machines is needle sizes and thread sizes. Min you would want to use poly 69 industrial thread. I generally use 92. Most Box store machines will jam up with the thicker threads. I have a home machine for zippers wife buttons etc. It will sew leather but I would not trust the thread stitch over time...
Kevin

Lucky j

Explorer
I have purchase a Baracuda made by Reliable.

Walking foot, beefy needle stongly built, can be hand operated with the crank kit. Made for sailer who want to fixe sails on extended trips.

Tested at first with 10 layers on denim, like I was sewing 1 layer. Made axe holster thrue more than 1/4 of leather. Wilf fit in a standard sawing machine chest, but with a hd carrying handle. Come with about 10 needles and steel line spool for inner feeder, kit for big thread spool. Will do straight and zigzag. Simple as can be. Will also go thrue soft plastiqu sheets, paper pads. With adjustment, can increasse the thinkness of material to just under 1/2", put a pain to do. Did it, it worked. But have to be patient to make it right and adjust it back to original after for standard use.

Just love the thing. Purchase it the same year I purchase my Husquvarna chain saw. Lol.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I do quite a bit of sewing for random projects and the best advice I can give you, for time, money, and advice, is find a local sewing machine repair shop. My two current machines (Necchi 539 and Consew 220B) I picked up from my local repair shop for dirt cheap. I picked up the Necchi for about $75 and the Consew for about $200. This was after both machines were fully services. I have two machines because they do different things better or worse. The consew is a workhorse and can punch through 1/4 leather, but it can't back-stitch or bar tack. The necchi I use for about 75% of my projects. It has a ton of different stitch patterns and has enough power to go through 4-8 layers of canvas.

Grab some fabric you're looking to use and head over to your shop. Explain the projects you're looking to do and then fold your fabric to about double what you "think" you'll sew (aka; if you think you're only going to be putting together 2-3 pieces, get a machine that can stitch through 6-8).

Car leather shouldn't be too bad. Most times that thinner and softer and you have to worry more about not marring and scuffing the leather and making it look like junk than punching holes and thread in it.

Also, best advice I can give you: Buy good thread. Seriously.

For $3 more a roll you'll have less breakage and frustrations. Plus you wont have to clean your machine as often. Learn to match your thread and needle to your fabric. Learn what TEX is. Then check out Filtec (you'll wanted a bonded nylon <- You can find "small" spools on ebay for about $10-15).

Then have fun making stuff. You'll have nifty carry bags for all your toys soon!

Here's a carry bag for my folding grill I recently made up quick.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Awesome

This is awesome information! Thank you and keep it coming.

That bag for your grill is exactly the type of stuff I have in mind. Those things that are custom, and really difficult to source commercially. There are lots of people in my city with the skills and abilities to do that sort of stuff, who would do it for cash, but I don't really have a way to contact them, and much of that isn't really patterned and planned, so I would rather be able to do and adjust it myself.

I didn't realize that there were "industrial" machines out there at such a low price point. It this a case of someone just using the word, or of actual high strength machines with simplified purpose being offered at a low price? I.E. is his a Harbor Freight effect? How many of their "industrial" tools hold up to more than a few uses?

I will also check out sewing machine repair shops. I think there are 2 here, so maybe that is a good way to go. I'm just wary of a Craigslist purchase of something someone else gave up on, but used through a repair shop might be a good idea.

Keep the info coming! Thank you!

The Artisan

Adventurer
CL is fine if you can see it run. If it runs but not great, I would suggest as with any other used machine to take it to a sewing repair shop. Have them oil and re-time the machine. Sewing machines are very simple in nature, usually its a timing issue is all.
For new and for what you want it for that sew-line would work for what you need. Guys name is Doug, I have bought 2 machines from him. Only one of my machines is made in Japan the Artisans are made in China but well made. I have used them since 01 and have done thousands of interiors.
Kevin

SnoViking

Adventurer
I didn't realize that there were "industrial" machines out there at such a low price point. It this a case of someone just using the word, or of actual high strength machines with simplified purpose being offered at a low price? I.E. is his a Harbor Freight effect? How many of their "industrial" tools hold up to more than a few uses?

Take terms like "heavy duty", "industrial" and "commercial" and throw them out. "Heavy Duty" is tossed around these days like "diet". And just a heads up; You may actually want to avoid "commercial" and "industrial" terms when shopping. You may run into two problems; The seller might just be blowing smoke and saying it's beefier than it actually is, or it may actually be industrial/commercial. Industrial/commercial machines are usually manufactured to do one type sewing really well and really quick but it may not do anything else you need.

Take my Consew 220B for example; It's a GREAT straight stitch machine. It can take heavy thread and sew heavy fabrics. But that's all it can do. It can't bar-tack (which I do a ton of; google 42 stitch bar tack to get started) and it cant reverse stitch. My Necchi is great at everything else but it cant punch through heavy canvas or leather. Also, if I'm not careful the Consew can easily punch a needle through any of my digits.

I buy all my thread online from a manufacturer in MD (Filtec) and I source all my Cordura from a company up in Mass. The Codura can be sometimes hard to find but I buy it by the pound as remnants from ebay seller "tarpsandcodura" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-lbs-1000...616231?hash=item23545389a7:g:YX4AAOSwiLdWBARc) They have all different kinds of cordua which is nice to sew, super tough, and functional.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I'm a sewing hack ... but bought a Sailrite LSZ-1 about 6 years ago for sewing a variety of projects including seat back organizer, this/that neoprene bags/pouches, heavy fabric projects, etc. (this machine isn't really a neoprene machine but with a ball needle it gets it done for my casual projects) and haven't regretted that decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke