Roof rack questions

bluesquirrel

Hello all. I'm new here, and have spent a little time searching posts about roof racks and roof storage.

I just bought a used 100 LC,and will be making my own roof rack. I'm looking for experienced opinions on the operational differences between a flat rack and a basket type rack (~6" tall). Which is best, more versatile? Why?

colorado matt

Adventurer
flat rack might get you in the garage where a basket may not .... basket seems to be able to use a variety of brackets to attach things to it (awning ,lights .shovel axe jack) ... personally I like baskets just because I do ... you can kind of cram things up against the edges and strap it down easier than a flat rack .... but never had a flat rack so what do I know ... that's all I got ... Matt

downhill

Adventurer
Flat racks are great for hauling lumber home from Lowes. Baskets really help keep things on your truck on rough roads.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Since you are making your own you could make a flat rack with the ability to add sides to make it a basket for travel. There are so many options with a rack you make it bogles the imagination so that yours might be one that inspires others.
I have a '07 LR3 with a Front Runner full length rack that allows me to travel the way I want ...but looking back, if I had made one that would allow a RTT it could have been much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94