FORD OBS.......is it just me, or are prices creeping up?

Clutch

<---Pass
Nostalgic about rough rides, low power, rattle trap interiors, just good ole 90's American quality..........

I was just thinking that...the 90's weren't all that good for American vehicles.

Sure, I get all nostalgic over the old stuff, that is until I go look at one in the flesh. Oh yeah, now I remember these weren't all that good when they were new...and now with a bunch of wear on them...no thanks.

You were saying...$22k...think I rather have a brand new F150 with a V6...and no worries about wrenching on it for a loooong damn time.

my pitch from oregon. trucks here last a long time. they are very popular as transportation,
so lots of supply.lots of demand
and the unrealistic cost of new ,has used prices leapfrogging, sometimes dramatically, the msrp of the rig when new.

i have 2
an 88 dual 4x4 gasser flatbed
an 86 dual 6.9 flatbed
either truck will fetch 4-5K

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Prices here in south Texas have gotten out of control. A few years back they started to make a come back when a lot of people were tired of their 6.0's and 6.4's. I love the lines of the era but the tranny is a major weak point and the frames are junk. Most for sale down here are complete junk with 280K+ on the odo and sellers still think they can ask $12K for them, it's nuts. Im on my second 6.7L SD which I love and I don't see myself ever going back.

Happykamper

Explorer
Don't buy the bio/veggie hype here in the states!! Very uncommon and very hard to find even in eco friendly places like Oregon . I bought a Nissan patrol 3 months ago out of Canada that was WVO. NOT A SELLING POINT AT ALL HERE. But up with the Canucks it's huge!!! I can honestly say they are way far ahead on that type technology there. Plus it seems from all my Canadian friends they are far more dedicated to that culture there. But here in the good ole USA it's ROLL COAL!!! Lol

jrose609

Explorer
Diesel engines are "in" now but even gas powered OBS Fords are very popular. OBS Broncos are in huge demand for desert prerunners. I had never owned a Ford in my life before getting my obs. I wanted a manual trans, and a strong truck. The design of the truck is just pleasing to look at.

I agree. I love the OBS style. Broncos are big here in Idaho, but most of the people buying them are the "Built....Not bought" crowd who like to build big jacked up 4x4 trucks to drive through mud puddles and then show off at the mall. Those are also the ones who like to "roll coal."

The 7.3 does seem to be a great motor. I've seen guys on the forums getting upwards of 400,000 miles and more.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree. I love the OBS style. Broncos are big here in Idaho, but most of the people buying them are the "Built....Not bought" crowd who like to build big jacked up 4x4 trucks to drive through mud puddles and then show off at the mall. Those are also the ones who like to "roll coal."

The 7.3 does seem to be a great motor. I've seen guys on the forums getting upwards of 400,000 miles and more.

New gas motors will do that, with equal torque and more horsepower. Yeah if you can get it cheap than great, but I haven't seen an OBS worth more than 10 grand, to me anyways.

offroadrolls

Observer
The way I see it, the best year for the 7.3 was 2000. I have a 7.3 in a 99 F 450 box truck pushing 300k miles and it's run great since I got it 200k and several years ago. I read somewhere that in 2001 they went from forged rods in the 7.3 to powdered metal rods. Next, the 6.0 had it's issues in 2003 when it was introduced but by 06 they'd worked out most of the bugs and they were pretty decent. I've also read a 6.0 between 05 an 07 is a hell of an engine and the whole bullet proof thing is mostly needed when you heavily modify and run the piss out of them. The 6.4 and 6.7 have got a lot of haters out there. I don't know much about them.....can't afford one!
Anyway, I'm just starting to build a camper so Ive been researching trucks a lot. I'm thinking a Ford truck with a Cummings from a Dodge and an Allison trans from a Chevy might just be a true dream truck. Of course that's not possible and since I just dropped my wad on a new FWC flatbed Hawk I'm gonna use my 97 OBS F350 that I already own. It's a crew with a 7.3 PSD and 163K on the clock. I'm with you guys though. There's no way an OBS is a worth 20k.... They have a little turbo, small injectors, a Dana 50 up front and drum brakes out back with a weak auto trans and xfer case. Heck, you can find a 2007 6.0 F350 Lariat crew with less than 100k miles for less than 24k...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz