How much range should you build into an expedition vehicle?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I travel a lot in remote areas in the US and some Mexico and mostly solo. Previously I had ~315 mile range but after 3 times I had to change my plans because of low fuel I addressed it. I know have a ~500 mile range and I seem to have zero issue or concerns. If you travel in groups I dont see as big of a need because there is always someone that will need to stop for gas. Also having range I able to avoid the high fuel cost and wait for a lower cost.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I built my own fuel system with a 60 gallon storage tank and 21 gallon fuel cell. I have a fuel nozzle so I can fill bikes, etc. I got rid of the in-tank pumps so I can also swap lines around and change the AEM external pumps easier. I won't have 81 gallons on board all the time but I have the capacity should I need it; like when travelling to California. Filling up in Arizona will save a lot of dough.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Certainly a good topic.

And is the primary reason I stick to a diesel rig.

Even with stock fuel tanks, my rig has a range of more than 500 miles.

If it were a gas rig with the same sized tanks, it would be more like 350 miles.

That said, running 100% stateside, I've only once had to change my plans due to (potentially) running out of fuel.

500 miles in my experience is just about perfect.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
One thing to consider also is if something happens like you get stuck or have to help someone else, it's nice to have a cushion. We spent a whole day one time winching and pulling out a friend who was stuck. We had to spend the night and it was unseasonably cold. Having the fuel to run the truck all day and then fire it up for some heat at night was crucial on what was supposed to be a day trip; you never know what might happen.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
This dilemma has been broached a lot over time with the expedition community. Wait, there are no more expeditions, unless you are going to Mars. The term; expedition is a sham, only to induce wonderful memories of the good old days, not anything happening currently. We are reduced to being a remote travel community. Especially with an old clunker, gas gulping, chrome boat 4WD, your only hope is to do one of the following;
1. Spend a lot of money having either a replacement custom tank or add-on tank made. The older your rig is, the harder it is to find upgrade parts, including fuel holding capacity. The other thing is; is your suspension and frame up to hauling that amount of weight around?
I did this three times; once with my old V-8 powered 1949 Willys Ute Wagon, adding a second tank with a switching lever and carrying up to six, five gallon cans to a bolted on roof rack; Bahia San Quentin, Baja, June 1965:

once with my 1970, V-8 powered FJ-55 replacing the factory tank with a 53 gallon tank and adding, as needed, six, five gallon cans on the roof or attached to my ConFer Toyota jeep trailer.

somewhere south of Puertocitos on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja:

The last was a 24 gallon replacement steel with steel skid plate to my 1982 Jeep CJ-8 rock crawler. This set up really took the abuse.

If your payload rating is not up to hauling that amount of weight, a jeep trailer is a good idea. I've owned five of them; three with pintels, a stone age attachment device that can stand the off-road rigors, and has traditionally been good enough for the Military.
2. Add two, five gallon jeep can holders to the tailgate. This is the quick and dirty way to add fuel capacity without overloading the rig.
I like your missionary zeal about your destinations and can say with vigor, "go for it". Any faulty parts or reasoning will rear their ugly heads soon enough.
Currently Jeanie and I travel in a second generation Cummins/Dodge with a 34 gallon tank and the ability to add two five gallon yellow, low profile plastic tanks on a rear rack.

With a 2700 pound loaded Lance Camper aboard, we can get around 420 miles on the 34 gallon tank, and maybe another 100 miles with the spare cans, IF MOVING SLOWLY ENOUGH. The slower you move with a diesel, the better the mileage. A contributing factor is wind resistance with the big white box. Only once, in Death Valley, plying all the back roads with glee did I have to use any of the extra fuel.
So it's a matter of convenience having enough fuel vs. the weight penalty of having that luxury.
jefe

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Since you are talking about lots of long road trips I will echo the convenience of having lots of fuel. An old truck I had ('79 Chevy) held 56 gallons. I used to go back and forth to CO from MA a lot. It was always great to be able to pick and choose where I stopped for gas. Today I can do the same with the Gas Buddy app....I can find the cheapest fuel along a route and stop to save $ when I want to. For me (I also belong to Sam's club) I can plan my trip using Sam's gas stations which tend to be very cheap as my stops. Save lots of $. Even just knowing what each state charges for gas tax helps if you're crossing between states.

Another thing to consider if you don't keep it full "around town", although a little different than the condensation comment - I'm not sure if you have a typical engine mounted fuel pump (I figure you do but just in case)....my Yukon has the electric fuel pump mounted in the tank and the fuel cools the pump so its better to keep the tank 3/4 full or better in the heat of the summer to keep the pump from wearing out faster.

lugueto

Adventurer
With a 4 cylinder Toyota, I don't need to worry too much about fuel consumption, but I suppose your range requirements might vary according to your travels.

I have 40 gallons of fuel on my rig, using a 24 gallon main tank and a 16 gallon aux tank. This is good for a little over 1000km (625 miles). I also carry jerry cans for generators, outboards and what not. Maybe 8 extra gallons.

That's enough for me to go out and back to the nearest gas stations on our regular trips where fuel gets scarce. It also helps reducing our planned stops for fuel when on roads with plenty of available fuel, which in turn reduces our driving time. The latter may help you most driving in the states.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
As far as where I want to go... I want to go every where. Prudhoe bay, canadian rockies, baja, darien gap, southernmost point, all over the western united states, and I expect to live and work out of the thing for months doing wildlife biology field work.

Gabe, I hope you actually do all of that. It sounds amazing. Too many of us get saddled with work responsibilities, a mortgage and so many other things that tie us down and prevent us from doing what we all come to this forum to do.

Dalko43

Explorer
If you plan on going anywhere off the main highways in the Canadian north you won't have enough fuel. Nor do you have anywhere to put it without pulling a trailer. An SUV sounds like a good idea but only if you stay in the states or on the pavement.

On one of my last trips in the north in an F250 super duty that likely got better mileage than you wagoner(not being rude but they are known for being thirsty) we carried 14 five gallon Jerry cans. After a ten hour trip by logging road and a weeks exploring we had 1/4 tank of fuel left in the truck when we got back to the nearest town.

I will agree with this. Here in the states, we take it for granted that fuel stations will always be somewhat close by (perhaps with exceptions in Alaska and certain parts of the west). But you get into northern Canada, or heck you just start driving into the vast expanses of crown land that lay beyond the main cities, and you can very easily find yourself in an area where there is no fuel close by. I'm of the mind that you shouldn't be driving into certain parts of Canada unless you have at least 350 miles of range in your vehicle....not that you're necessarily going to be 350 miles from the nearest station, but if you come across washouts or roads that are impassable and have to backtrack or find another route out, the extra range will be crucial.

Personally, I'm a fan of how the Aussie's approach fuel capacities: auxiliary fuel tanks. They keep your COG low and centered as you don't have to fiddle with extra jerry cans hanging off your rear bumper or strapped to your roof. I think there is a company called Titan that makes some here in the states. That said, the extra tanks, and the fuel they carry, will eat into your available payload, so plan accordingly.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Personally, I'm a fan of how the Aussie's approach fuel capacities: auxiliary fuel tanks. They keep your COG low and centered as you don't have to fiddle with extra jerry cans hanging off your rear bumper or strapped to your roof.

But their spare wheels are probably hanging out back.. it's a shell game. I like cans. Easier to help someone else out or throw in the back of a passing vehicle to go and get gas if need be.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
But their spare wheels are probably hanging out back.. it's a shell game. I like cans. Easier to help someone else out or throw in the back of a passing vehicle to go and get gas if need be.

Aussie Toyota did it right. On my 80 series Land Cruiser I have the factory Aussie 15 gal Aux tank and it is designed to fit above the factory spare tire without issue.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Since you are talking about lots of long road trips I will echo the convenience of having lots of fuel. An old truck I had ('79 Chevy) held 56 gallons. I used to go back and forth to CO from MA a lot. It was always great to be able to pick and choose where I stopped for gas. Today I can do the same with the Gas Buddy app....I can find the cheapest fuel along a route and stop to save $ when I want to. For me (I also belong to Sam's club) I can plan my trip using Sam's gas stations which tend to be very cheap as my stops. Save lots of $. Even just knowing what each state charges for gas tax helps if you're crossing between states.

Another thing to consider if you don't keep it full "around town", although a little different than the condensation comment - I'm not sure if you have a typical engine mounted fuel pump (I figure you do but just in case)....my Yukon has the electric fuel pump mounted in the tank and the fuel cools the pump so its better to keep the tank 3/4 full or better in the heat of the summer to keep the pump from wearing out faster.

heh I did something like this on a road trip from L.A. to Albuquerque a few years ago. I deliberately left with just enough gas plus a couple gallon margin to drive from L.A. to Kingman AZ and topped up everything there, saving about .55/gal. Not a major deal, but the money saved paid for lunch for everybody and I got the satisfaction of denying CA their egregious fuel taxes. Did much the same on the return leg, topping up before I crossed back into Mordor.

lugueto

Adventurer
Aussie Toyota did it right. On my 80 series Land Cruiser I have the factory Aussie 15 gal Aux tank and it is designed to fit above the factory spare tire without issue.

This is true. Adding an aux tank on a Land Cruiser is extremely easy because every single model came with the provision for one. The downside is its expensive to do so. Most other vehicles start getting tricky (or impossible) to modify this way.

Dalko43

Explorer

They don't have to. The UTE's and pickup's have the option of putting spare tires in their beds. Which is the approach I would take if I were to install an aux tank on a pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior