How much range should you build into an expedition vehicle?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I had a 1996 FZJ 80 with the factory 25 mid mounted tank and a 24 gallon that went where the spare went. Spressomon (similar capacity in his 100 series) and I left Tonopah, NV fully topped off. Two days later after spending some time and lots of miles in central Nevada; we returned to Tonopah, as it is the only fuel in that area, on fumes (we were both very nervous the last few miles with the low fuel light on).
I use this as an example as your Wagoneer and an LC are similar in weight and thirst for fuel. I started carrying an extra 5 gallon can with me after that trip. On my current truck, I installed a larger main tank (52 gallons). I prefer the single tank over the dual. I had a square body chevy with dual tanks back in the day and factory or aftermarket, I prefer a larger single tank, YMMV. Having said that, I am contemplating adding an auxiliary tank in place of the spare eventually. Not totally set on it, but as you can tell, I like having plenty of fuel on board. Been on too many trips where plans have changed due to having to find fuel versus going where I wanted to go.
Jack

Maninga

Adventurer
I'm planning on having 1600km range on my camper, should give us plenty of range for extended trips or to wait out cheaper pricing. Last car had ~500km range, always managed to find something however pricing and quality has been questionable. Being able to bypass stations with enough to get to the next one will be a great luxury to have

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If you can carry it then more the better. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Nikkormat

Well thanks guys! That settles​ it. Mo range is mo better. And given the platform will carry the weight fine and the spare tire hole will be empty anyway with the advent of larger tires I no longer see any down sides.

Nikkormat

Gabe, I hope you actually do all of that. It sounds amazing. Too many of us get saddled with work responsibilities, a mortgage and so many other things that tie us down and prevent us from doing what we all come to this forum to do.

Thanks Tom! I hope I will get to do it all eventually. Trying to take as many classes as I can that will help me make enough money seasonally, or alternatively be able to work in these remote areas. It's alot easier to make time to explore a place when it's your back yard.

MOguy

Explorer
I am in MO and have traveled into the woods here and down In Arkansas. I am a weekend occasional "overlander" but even then I have been on trails that are 150 plus miles and maybe even another 50-75 miles to town.

I would get as big of a tank that you could fit. My concerns would be protecting it and weight distribution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke