Yakima rooftop tent

surferdude78

Observer
I saw today the first review on REI's site. Overall a positive rating but sounds like quality control needs some improvement.

The actual tent is great. Very sturdy, durable and comfortable while still lightweight. I spent just under a couple hours assembling everything I needed to mount the tent to my roofrack. The mattress inside is super comfortable, and the rainfly is really strong. The cover that keeps everything packaged and protected is really legit. It's strong and thick, before I was worried that the cover wouldn't be as protective as I would like for the rainy WA weather, but I'm confident it's going to keep everything nice and dry.

I have only a few, minor issues: The cover was missing a buckle, the associate at REI gave me one of their stock buckles off the shelf for free to replace it. One of the rods that props open the awnings doesn't fit into the slot on the bottom of the tent, it wasn't shaped enough so I'm going to have to beat it with a hammer to make it small enough to fit in. And lastly, when I was tugging on one of the cover flaps to secure it, it tore. I wasn't tugging aggressively so I was surprised that it ripped so easily, so be cautious when putting the cover on top. These issues in no way turn me off from the product itself, I love it and the price point on this is excellent.

Allahades

I picked one up yesterday and put it together tonight. Coming from the world of backpacking tents, the Yakima strikes me as sturdy and well made. The fabric is clearly not as heavy duty as the canvas on traditional overland tents, but I suspect it will breath better. What I like about it is how lightweight and compact it is, along with the price and the fact that it can be picked up directly at REI. And it qualifies for the REI dividend.

I need a tent that's not too heavy, as it can't live on my vehicle full time, and the REI is light enough my wife can lift her side up. Folded, the tent itself is 9" tall. The ladder adds a couple of inches more in the center. The Yakima quick release mounting hardware adds three inches to the bottom, but I may mount it straight onto my rhino rack without the Yakima hardware. I'll post a pic of it mounted up tomorrow.

Allahades

Just for fun, here's the Yakima RTT up on top of the Xterra. Using the Yakima mounts and Thule crossbars, it sits too high, but it was very easy to mount. In fact, it took just a few minutes, and didn't require any tools.

I may try flipping the Thule cross bars to run under the Xterra roof rails, as I think the Yakima mounts would still work that way. This would lower the tent to sit flush with the rails, but Xterras are pretty tall and narrow vehicles, and IMO always looks a bit wonky with a RTT.

For mounting to the rhino rack pioneer platform on my Lexus, I plan to dispense with the Yakima mounts (as convenient as they are), and drill new holes to mount the tent flush to the platform.

yakimartt_standardmount_zpsxloqnkkv.jpg

Last edited:

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I saw these tents in my local REI this week, and read the odd questions/reviews. It was set up right at the front door, making me think they are doing their best to promote it as a specialty product. Meanwhile, outside the front door, a half-dozen people were camping overnight in tents and in at least one SUV, to be first in line to buy 2nd-hand returns in the "garage sale" that took place the next morning.

It made me think back to when I worked for REI when they first opened a store in San Diego over 25 years ago. The typical customers were definitely not "overlanders"- at most they drove to a campground or trailhead or park, but rarely went off-road except in hiking boots.

One of our artistically talented sales people drew a clever cartoon depicting the REI "spectrum"- from hard-core big-wall climbers, to aging Sierra Club hikers, to young granola/Birkenstockers, to families with young kids, with a few botanists/geologists thrown in for good measure.

Bottom line: they all loved getting outdoors and appreciated the gear and education REI provides.

But if you ever see a Yakima roof-top tent take flight on a highway, well... you know someone didn't read the answer to that question... and here's another one that makes me think they're just messing with the REI techs:

"jackie27 · 4 days ago
If I put wheels on the ladder can I drive around with it?"

dcg141

Adventurer
The central divide in the outdooring community is the one between off roaders and almost everyone else. Now understanding that there are alot of irresponsible off roaders out there what you never hear about from the other side are all the irresponsible campers, hikers ect. Why groups like the Sierra Club can't see that responsible off roaders are their natural ally is beyond me.

Last edited:

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
The central divide in the outdooring community is the one between off roaders and almost everyone else. Now understanding that there are alot of irresponsible off roaders out there what you never hear about from the other side are all the irresponsible campers, hikers ect. Why groups like the Sierra Club can't see that responsible off roaders are their natural ally is beyond me.

Agreed! Not sure why ORVers and REI campers can't find common cause with one another more often. I grew up with a bit of both worlds: My dad's love of cars was matched by his desire to enjoy the outdoors- the two were not mutually exclusive to him. We had frequent trips throughout the Southwestern US in a 60s vintage GMC chassis-mounted camper (with a super-low "granny gear" we rarely used), towing a Manx buggy and carrying a Honda 90 on a bumper mount.

We enjoyed the mountains, deserts, beaches etc. on many weekends. All those outings lead to my interest in rock climbing, backpacking etc, and later, my work at REI and other outdoor retailers, making it possible to get great deals on otherwise very expensive equipment.

Maybe this roof-top tent is an overture to the ORV crowd?

Also reminds me: I wish I had kept my '71 Westphalia- that was the original "rooftop tent"!

Allahades

Here's the Yakima RTT mounted to the Rhino Rack on my Lexus using the Yakima quick release system. I think it's relatively low profile for a fold-over tent, even with the extra 2" from the quick release system.

yakima_rtt_gx470_zpsvznbdflw.jpg

bobholthaus

Observer
Here's the Yakima RTT mounted to the Rhino Rack on my Lexus using the Yakima quick release system. I think it's relatively low profile for a fold-over tent, even with the extra 2" from the quick release system.

yakima_rtt_gx470_zpsvznbdflw.jpg

How exactly are you attaching this to the Rhino Rack? I'm looking at adding one of these to my JKU (Rhino Rack) and I am wondering how I can mount my Yakima bike mounts to it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Allahades

bobholthaus-- the Yakima clamps are tall enough that they reach down to the cross bars on the pioneer platform. It also helps that I'm willing to drill holes in the floor of my brand new tent to make the clamps line up correctly. May or may not work on your bike mounts.

bobholthaus

Observer
Allahades: thanks for the reply. After looking at my bike mounts, I would likely just drill holes into the planks of the pioneer to bolt the mounts on. I don't need them to be adjustable for my setup. When the day comes, I'll post pics. Thanks again.

Tvv

bobholthaus-- the Yakima clamps are tall enough that they reach down to the cross bars on the pioneer platform. It also helps that I'm willing to drill holes in the floor of my brand new tent to make the clamps line up correctly. May or may not work on your bike mounts.

Have you had any issues with the new holes you drilled into the tent floor to get the clamps to line up in the slat openings on the pioneer platform given the new holes are unlikely now through the internal aluminum framing of the tent?

Tvv

How exactly are you attaching this to the Rhino Rack? I'm looking at adding one of these to my JKU (Rhino Rack) and I am wondering how I can mount my Yakima bike mounts to it. Thanks.

Did you ever add the Yakima tent to your rhino rack and if so how did you attach it given the quick release legs on the tent pose an issue with lining up to the rhino rack slats

bobholthaus

Observer
I never mounted my bike mounts to my Rhino Rack, so I am of no help on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier