Yakima rooftop tent

beadblaster

Observer
I see that Yakima has released a new roof top tent and it looks like it is only available thru REI.
ucing the Yakima Rooftop Tents Only at REI | View with Images

REI CO-OP

FREE SHIPPING on your order of $50 or more>

Camp & Hike Climb Cycle Paddle Run Snow Travel Yoga REI Garage
CO-OP EXCLUSIVE - Perfect pitch Shop now YAKIMA®
The Yakima SkyRise tent is lightweight, secure, comfortable and easy to install, with no tools required. Only at REI.

Park.
Securely stow above, hit
the road and drive to your
favorite view.

Unfold.
Easily pops up over the
car—off the ground and
close to the stars.

Explore.
Spend less time
setting up and more
time hitting the trails.

Solve your packing puzzle

Organizing your gear correctly will make
for a successful getaway. Review our tips
for getting everything into the car just right,
so you can spend more time relaxing.

Read more

Kade.Tang

I am interested in the awning the yakima slim shady. I have the core bars which are aerodynamic and the mounts look perfect for them. Curious at the durability vs a tepui awning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

. Curious at the durability vs a tepui awning

"Made from the same lightweight and breathable materials as backcountry tents - 210D nylon"

Back country gear is made to keep the weight low, so the durability has to suffer, at least somewhat. I wonder if they will offer replacement tents, at a fair cost?
Knowing you could replace the tent at least once and double the life (assuming all other components would be in good shape), would sway some potential buyers.

I think for some buyers, this will be a sensible option. We did a month travel out of a small station wagon and a family tent, never staying in a hotel.
If one were doing a long enough trip, AND, this option was enough to eliminate enough hotel stays, the additional cost vs. a tent and mattresses could have it making financial sense. Of course, it's still more money than a ground tent and mattresses, but it will likely have appeal for some.

It's goods to have options.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I am interested in the awning the yakima slim shady. I have the core bars which are aerodynamic and the mounts look perfect for them. Curious at the durability vs a tepui awning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

At 16lbs that awning sounds like a good option. Sometimes it's better to sacrifice a bit of durability to shed some weight (especially up that high on the vehicle).

Kade.Tang

At 16lbs that awning sounds like a good option. Sometimes it's better to sacrifice a bit of durability to shed some weight (especially up that high on the vehicle).

the corebar mounts+ the option to buy at REI with my dividend+20% off coupon really has me thinking. I am a "weekend warrior" so it would be seeing fairly light use.

87Warrior

GP'er
I am curious about the tent simply because I've had good luck with Yakima gear in the past. I look forward to hearing some first hand opinions.

Some of the questions posted on the REI website are quite amusing and worth a read :)

CMARJEEP

Observer
Seems like this tent is definitely catering more towards the hippie-granola-prius crowd (nothing against them). Judging from the comments on the REI website they aren't too interested.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Seems like this tent is definitely catering more towards the hippie-granola-prius crowd (nothing against them). Judging from the comments on the REI website they aren't too interested.
Not by any stretch. The crossover between what we might call traditional overlanders, and the core REI audience (hippy granolas like me) is significant. The employees and managers within companies like Yakima, MSR, Thermarest, Sea to Summit, Thule, La Sportiva, Patagonia, and dozens of leading bicycle brands don't identify as "overlanders," and good on them for that, but they probably have as many Defenders, Mogs, Tacomas, Sportsmobiles and Cruisers as anyone here. I think you might be surprised to learn that the majority of "overland gear" does not get bought by "overlanders." If not for consumers outside of our tribe, many overland-centric companies we favor would not be able to sell here. Overlanding is pretty niche, even for niches.

krax

Adventurer
Truth. You may see some common gear and vehicles, but where "the journey is the destination" for many here, for many others the destination is mountain bike trailheads, climbing sites, and fishing spots. I had always thought of living out of the back of a Tacoma as something you just did as an unemployed rock climber. It was only recently I learned it was called "overlanding".

Lc80series

Went to my local REI today and saw this tent. It was light weight but it seemed well made. The mattress, however, was not good. Hip was on the floor in no time just testing it out.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Some of those questions on the rei site really have me wondering how we as a species has managed to make it this far?

FJOE

Regular Dude
I think you might be surprised to learn that the majority of "overland gear" does not get bought by "overlanders." If not for consumers outside of our tribe, many overland-centric companies we favor would not be able to sell here. Overlanding is pretty niche, even for niches.

I agree. besides the vehicle-centric stuff, the rest of it is just camping/backpacking equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles