well i pulled my transfer case to seal it up, found a whole different issue.

wagex

Adventurer
2001 discovery 2 sd
i thought one of the seals up top was leaking so i figured id pull the t case and reseal everything. when i pulled off the access under the center console i was not very happy with what i found. the rear extension on the transmission was cracked most of the bolts were loose. luckily i found one on ebay by some miracle it should be here friday and i can button everything back up i also ordered a new input shaft seal for the tcase. while i had the tcase out i went ahead and made some brackets and hooked up the CDL, il probably just have it sticking out by the center console.

i think the PO had it out before because all the cover plates on the top were siliconed, i think they just didnt get everything tightened back up.

16930737_10158216541410537_782084995_o.jpg3927560155050543016-account_id=1.jpg20170224_192218.jpg6764513301180328807-account_id=1.jpg4278238581548332064-account_id=1.jpg2509115426607154464-account_id=1.jpg

wagex

Adventurer
ended up getting everything back together drove it to work today everything seems fine, and the CDL linkage seems to work great :)
disengaged locker2.jpg
engaged locker1.jpg

MLu

Adventurer
Hah, that's a pretty neat solution for the CDL. Maybe paint the nut/threads red so you know when it's engaged? Is it just a straight bolt on directly down to the 10mm nut on the TC, or did you need to make some sort of adapter/lever?

Last edited:

wagex

Adventurer
Hah, that's a pretty neat solution for the CDL. Maybe paint the nut/threads red so you know when it's engaged? Is it just a straight bolt on directly down to the 10mm nut on the TC, or did you need to make some sort of adapter/lever?
fashioned up these brackets and used a heavy duty cable i think its for a pto on a tractor or something. i basically replaced the big black knob with the bolt / bearing for a handle because the handle didnt reach all the way up through the plastic from the access plate i mounted it to.

also i like the idea of painting that red! i have some red finger nail polish in the garage that i use for such occasions.
i did notice that i dont get any kind of dash light when the cdl is engaged which from what ive read i should. idk
2509115426607154464-account_id=1.jpg

Last edited:

MLu

Adventurer
Ah, of course, now I see. It looked like just a knob to turn the thing with at first look... haven't had the pleasure of digging into to that part yet. Nice and simple, I like it.

wagex

Adventurer
also note, a standard choke cable will not work. tried that first you could yank it hard enough to lock it but it didnt have the back bone to push the lever back. this one has a 1/8" dia wire.

wagex

Adventurer
ok, so now that its been together for a few weeks im noticing a vibration between 25 and 30mph (probably what broke it in the first place). removed the front shaft the vibration almost all went away, removed the rear shaft it was just as bad.

it gets pretty noticeable at around 27mph and fades out at 31mph ish seems too fast to be tires or anything else but drive line. at high way speeds i get a really loud hum which im assuming is that. but with just the rear shaft in i dont hear anything at highways speeds that sounds bad.

i sent the front drive shaft to powerdrive to get rebuilt and re balanced. but i dont think that's gonna fix my issue it should be back today though. i also bought a new rotoflex for the rear drive shaft, though idk if that's gonna help anything as the vibration is there with the entire rear shaft gone. unless the vibration is a combination of both who knows.

anyone have any suggestions other than rebuilding the front shaft? trying to be proactive on this as i have a 500mile trip coming up soon. il report back and let you know what the rebalanced / rebuilt front shaft does plus the rotoflex.

Last edited:

b jeepin

Adventurer
Did you put your hands on the front shaft and manhandle it to see if any play from the front axle/pinion? Possible bearings in the front end?

wagex

Adventurer
Did you put your hands on the front shaft and manhandle it to see if any play from the front axle/pinion? Possible bearings in the front end?

yep, i also tried to wiggle them with the shaft removed. everything sounds fine everything is spinning straight.

i think i have figured out the issue, i believe the E brake drum is out of round, willing to bet it got whacked on something and in turn that is what snapped the ears off the back of the transmission, makes sense to me atleast. gonna pull that drum off and attach the shaft with it gone and see what happens. when i pull on the brake handle it amplifies the vibration sounds especially at low speeds.

wagex

Adventurer
pulled the brake drum off yesterday and bolted the drive shaft directly to the output shaft and no more vibration :) going to have a guy at work put the drum in a lathe and see if its warped or what if it is im gonna buy a new one, if it isnt im gonna have them just cut the center out to use as a spacer and remove the entirety of the e brake mechanism, i dont have any use for it so no point in chasing an issue and spending $$ on it.

also since driving it around for the last couple weeks with the cdl engaged the light has started coming on, think it just needed wore in i guess since it hadnt been used in the 16 years the vehicle has been going lol.

Last edited:

wagex

Adventurer
output shaft on the transfer case is tweaked a tiny bit. what i ended up doing was pulling the entire brake mechanism off, took the drum into work and had the center machined out to use as a spacer for the drive shaft, put it back in and that eliminated 90% of the vibration dont notice it anymore till about 85mph and that is way faster than i ever really drive.

brake.jpg

303861159069449513-account_id=1.jpg

769516383925763549-account_id=1.jpg

then to finish off the long day

17857187_10158427903580537_1838116950_n.jpg

ok it wasnt that long took like 45 minutes to take the brake off and put it back together. nothing like a noon beer on a sunday though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior