Van as a primary vehicle pros and cons

radyohead

Hello everyone,

I do apologize if this has already been discussed in another thread. I did some research and I did not find exactly what I was looking for.

I am at the start of a conversion project (my first van), deciding van type, size and conversion options. I am looking at new or used vans with low mileage. I am leaning towards making the van my primary vehicle, therefore small enough to park in standard size parking and good average MPG is a necessity.

I will be using the van for regular weekend trips, 1 or 2 nights long. But I also need a vehicle for my daily commutes (let's say about 30 miles/day - work and errands). Making the van my primary vehicle would help me save on costs of owning two vehicles (insurance, parking, maintenance), and allow me to finance the van with the sale of my car. The downside is that I will be putting some unnecessary miles in the van every time I drive around town or go on a non-outdoor related trip.

Would you rather keep two vehicles and use the van only when it's really needed? I hope I can learn from more experienced members in order to make the right choice.

Alex

radyohead

DD it! Regular use is how you know you can trust it.

Good point.
Plus it prevents having the van idle for a couple months during the slow season, or if work because too intense for a bit, or if I get injured and need time to recover so I don't go out as much.

Choff

Adventurer
I have been driving our 2005 GMC Savanna AWD daily for 8 years, If you drive it daily you learn a lot on how to drive park and take care of your van!!!
I would rather stick money into having it nice for vacations and fun time.
Its our go to vehicle for most of our running, great on hwy and sitting up high when snow flies and you can see over snow banks.

Would i love to have a sports car ??? sometimes yes, but cannot sleep in one!!!

Big plus , no insurance and upkeep for another car !!!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke