2013 Tundra "Clifford" Entirely possibly overboard

Dblack

Observer
Changed out the bfgoodrich ko2 for a slightly larger toyo open country at2 extreme. 285/74r17.

34" tire and that's about as big as I can get without some creative trimming. I get just a hair of touch against the mud flaps on a hard turn, but not enough to worry about.

Everyone else seems to love the ko2's but mine didn't balance worth a damn after about 50,000km. Hopefully I'm just lucky, but these open country's should be ok. Time will tell.

a961ad04f43b18ea74528fd52dcf6a2c.jpg

2ffe2897e419a87d3482b6e75ccc5170.jpg

Dblack

Observer
Slapped together a water system... For lack of a better term. 2 Blue Scepter water cans from princess auto, some hose and hose clamps and this should do us for a week at most.

a04fef9571151107c9f80dd8a767e635.jpg

Dblack

Observer
Toured around Swan Hills, AB a bit this past weekend. Got snowed on, Day one was a mud day, and day 2 was a snow day.
start.jpg
Nice view up in the hills. A bit socked in and chilly.
1.JPG
So I went up the Grizzly Highway (33) to The Grizzly capital of Alberta (Swan Hills), headed north west to the grizzly range and... Of course we saw this guy. Had lunch while we watched him grazing. Very cool.
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Camped for the night
5.JPG
The road the next day had a lot of water across it. Soft in a lot of places. The tracks in the slush on the water are from determined Ducks swimming around.
Muskeg falls?
6.JPG
Below is Jim's hill in the distance. Local legend has it that Jim was climbing it in a water truck when he got stuck and started to slide backwards. Brakes wouldn't hold so he bailed, and the truck ran over him. Brutal. Safety first! You can still see where the truck plowed a path into the trees half way down.
7.JPG
Clifford gained 500lbs of ice.
8.JPG
Cool little trappers cabin near the Freeman river:
9.JPG

Dblack

Observer
Headed out for a day cruise to the Limestone Mt. Area with my parents, and an Aunt. Together they're pushing 240 years of experience. :-0
1.jpg
1.5.JPG
Saw some wild ponies in the area. 2 different herds, and a VERY new born. Cute little guy could barely stand on his own.
2.JPG
Was making good time up Limestone Mt. when we started to hit some snow.
3.JPG

The progress came to a halt with a trail obstacle. Some nice jeeper guys that were having some troubles. I Helped this guy out a little with some shoveling and pushing. He had slid off the tracks and had a devil of a time getting straight.

4.jpg

The black jeep got up the hill over the next rise when he slid off the trail again. Trying to follow Side by side tracks in the snow was not working out for him and the snow was only getting deeper.

The black jeep in the front was up to his doors in snow, so the blue jeep behind him rolled his winch out to pull him out... No go. Didn't have enough battery to run the winch. Plus the housing of the winch was cracked, and smoking for some bad reason... Apparently these things don't work so good once he let the smoke out. Oops.

No problem, I turned around in the trail, backed in, and pulled them both up the hill a little bit. Sometimes being a little fat and heavy on the trails comes in handy.

5.jpg

It was clear I wasn't going to make Limestone summit, so I went to see another area to the north that's been on my radar. I wanted to see a cross country exit and see if I could fit a truck through it, and hit a different peak to the north of Limestone.

This is Limestone from the north, and the road is a 25% grade. Too much fun. :)

6.jpg
Nice views up there too.
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Dblack

Observer
The North exit of that valley will have some water crossings and the water is pretty high now, but not too bad. I think it's very doable in the summer.

10.JPG

Next time I'll check to see where this goes. Closed off road but on the maps looks like it heads into another valley west of Limestone. They took the bridges out, but left the road... Challenge accepted.
Next!.JPG

Dblack

Observer
Nice touring, great territory to be able to explore

It is nice to explore the area. And funny that you mention that. I watch you guys exploring the deserts around you and think how nice it would be to be able to explore it.

Oh. Btw. I totally used your build thread as a template building mine.

Dalko43

Explorer
The more I read your thread, the more I find myself liking the Tundra as an overlanding platform. It seems to offer a good compromise between a mid-sized truck or SUV and a 3/4 ton pickup. Now if Toyota would just find it in them to put a diesel into that thing, I would be sold.

Dblack

Observer
After tearing a mudflap off a couple times I tweaked the tie back to a double chain.
b1eb4599d6471f88bd0cb1e0b69be311.jpg

Stickers, stickers, stickers!!! Who doesn't love stickers!?!

Well, I don't like stickers. But I like Canada so I'll and an exception for these.

4e2469ff7a3ec74344acd7cc1d57c666.jpg

3ab263408c5021c5864207963d6df217.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000