Fear of the highlift?

lugueto

Adventurer
Everything with proper measures can be safe. Its when you take safety for granted that you're in trouble.

Why does taking safety into consideration and reading the instructions make you a "ninnie"?

I've used it a bunch of times, for winching and lifting the vehicle, and I do have huge respect for the tool.

I saw a guy once who knocked himself out while lowering the vehicle, scary sight.

I also saw a friend of mine who insisted on changing his tire with the Hilift have his vehicle drop to the floor damaging his rear brakes and the tire that was beneath the rear axle as a failsafe. There's a reason why the instructions on the handle tells you not to change a tire with it.

dumprat

Adventurer
I never said don't be careful with them.

What gets me riled a touch is the guys who slam ya for using or having one in your vehicle. Like the bloody thing is gonna jump out and hit somebody on its own.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used mine to lace the tracks on a snowcat a few weeks ago. I use it around the shop regularly. They are a great tool.

lugueto

Adventurer
I never said don't be careful with them.

What gets me riled a touch is the guys who slam ya for using or having one in your vehicle. Like the bloody thing is gonna jump out and hit somebody on its own.

Hm. I've never seen anybody say you shouldn't use one. On the contrary, I've even read its become mandatory equipment for vehicles in off road parks (We dont have those so I can't say for certain).

Whoever says you shouldn't use one or have one in your vehicle clearly hasn't used one or maybe doesn't even know how to use one properly.

the4x4dude

Wow, what a thread. I too get a kick out of the Hi-Lifts mounted on all these cool looking rigs. I have kept and used several over the last 40 years. Winches are great, never go without them, but my Hi-Lift is a staple for me. Only forged, no stamped steel, or imitations. I have mine pinned at the bottom so the base and mechanism stays inside in it's own denim bag (old overalls pants led sewed shut). The mast can be used for a sand spike, or a gazzilion other things. When I need the jack, quick assembly with a clean working mechanism. Many times on my old CJ, I could use it on my solid mounted side bars to lift one whole side at once. Kinda hard to do with a winch.
Not trying to start a fight. That's one reason I hardly ever respond on forums and such. If you are truly going out much, a Hi-Lift, bottle jack, winch (rated appropriately), and shackles, snatch blocks, straps, and chains, etc are a must.

PassRunnerZJ

Used properly, you can use a Hi-Lift to easily change fork seals on motorcycle forks, uses beyond four wheels and ranch/farm work. Make do press after removing the inner spring, c-clip, fill with more oil, recap, press and pop. Then pour the oil out into a container for recycling of course.

I have used them for years with my dad and his friends while hunting and in my truck, Land Cruiser and now Grand Cherokee. Accessories make them useable by most vehicles, even with plastic bumpers. Sometimes you can't get a bottle jack under an axle.

Yes, I have had them slip, but logic and caution prevented any injury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I saw a Hi-Lift just this week mounted to a roof rack on a brand new Grand Cherokee. Given there isn't a single point on that vehicle where the jack could be used, it's an easy assumption to think the owner doesn't know how to use it.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
I saw a Hi-Lift just this week mounted to a roof rack on a brand new Grand Cherokee. Given there isn't a single point on that vehicle where the jack could be used, it's an easy assumption to think the owner doesn't know how to use it.
Perhaps he pulls a trailer with it, and has to carry the jack somewhere? I used to throw my Hi-Lift in the back of my truck whenever I would pull one of my trailers ( it'll lift them anywhere on the frame), then would forget it on other trips. Luckily, I never needed it when I left it behind. I just this week made a locking mount to keep it in my truck bed (to the side, over and behind a wheel well hump), so I won't forget it on next month'trip. I'll have to remember to oil the moving parts, now exposed to the weather full-time. Maybe the Jeep owner doesn't want to forget his jack, either. If that's not it, then, at least, a highly visible Hi-Lift should set this Jeep apart from the soccer moms' Grand Cherokees out there.

ClovisMan

Observer
The Hi-Lift. Defeating mother nature since 1905.
1ec16b101fe05be51867924c90ed386d.jpg

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Never understood the point of those. Obviously they cant be used to change a tire.

The wheel hooks are great for lifting a corner of the vehicle to either add or remove something from underneath the vehicle. Depending on the suspension travel, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than lifting from the body. I've used it a few times to add rocks under a buddy's tire so that the diff wouldn't hang up at a narrow point on the trail or where re-positioning the vehicle for approaching from another angle wasn't practical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne