Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Fear of the highlift?

Default Highlift fear

Airmapper.. Much, much more fear of clowns than the Highliftjack

I'm not afraid of clowns or the hi lift...

Quote Originally Posted by verdesard0g View Post
    I'm not afraid of clowns or the hi lift...
    What about clowns with hi lifts?
    2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 34X10.5 ARB front and rear, winch, belly up and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
    What about clowns with hi lifts?
    Depends on how they are using them....

Yikes there's an awful lot of saltiness here. I bought mine when I lifted my jeep and my standard bottle jack no longer reached. Knock on wood I haven't had a flat but its cheap insurance and it tucks away behind my rear seats in my JKU. I don't even remember having it 90% of the time. Bottle jacks are far nicer for changing tires if you can get them underneath. Mine paid for itself the day I had to help my buddy get unstuck on a tight trail in a deep rut when he rubbed against a root of a tree and popped the bead on his tire. We ended up dragging him a solid 30 feet before we could even fit the hi-lift under to swap out the tire. Are they dangerous? Sure, but so is the steel winch cables... and the roll-over potential offroading... and the list goes on and on. Just like everything else in life, be aware of the risks and act accordingly. Now don't get me started on the guys who leave theirs bolted on hoods or bumpers with no coverage and the damn things look like they're about to rust away to nothing...
    Boldly going where... someone else has probably gone before...

Rigs:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Dedicated Wheeler (too many mods to list)

2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - DD and adventuremobile

^yes exactly. Sometimes it is the only tool for the job. Dangerous or not. But judge from this thread the number of posters who posters who have parroted the sentiment that they would never use one because they are so dangerous.
    08 Tacoma DCLB. Stock for the next five minutes.....

At the risk of getting absolutely spanked, is there any tool more universally useful than the hi lift?

I think most folks would agree that an electric winch is better for winching, there are better/safer ways to lift a vehicle to change a tire or do trail work, clamps are better at clamping and so on and so forth. I can see where folks with those specialty tools wouldn't find much use for a hi lift but I can't say that I've come across a single tool that fills as many niches as the hi lift does.

Quote Originally Posted by dumprat View Post
    But judge from this thread the number of posters who have parroted the sentiment that they would never use one because they are so dangerous.
    As in zero?
    Steve Carlson
    1995 Isuzu Trooper LS - well equipped
    2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser, overlander in training

Maybe I read it a little differently. About every fourth post is "I don't carry one because...., and they are dangerous"
    08 Tacoma DCLB. Stock for the next five minutes.....

Quote Originally Posted by proper4wd View Post
    Put the f*cking handle in the upright position please.
    Saw someone severely injured when it jumped a peg (or something) as he was jacking and it smacked him in the eye. Knocked out, convulsing, helicopter ride lost his eye.

"Always put the handle in the upright position when not lifting or lowering a load! This is a very real safety issue."

And always assume the handle will swing up and never get your head or anything near it, stay back!

Anyway, I used mine to jack out some tree stumps.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast