Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Fear of the highlift?

I've used my HiLift countless times... wouldn't go offroad without it. I've also used my winch countless times. Without the proper training both are deadly and best not used. Take an extraction course, learn how to use them properly and safely and they'll be your best friend.

HiLift has been great to pull up fence posts, winch down lodged branches, etc. It's a great powerful tool when used properly. But like any tool, if not used in it's proper intended manner it can be very dangerous.

Always maintain it too... don't let it sit out in the weather year after year without cleaning and lubrication. I also carry a full set of spare parts for it.
    2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Full Size Bed
    Bak Ind. Tonneau Cover | Lim Slip R. Diff | TracRac Ladder Rack (soon to be modified to a load/gear rack)
    Use: Camping, Hunting, Hauling MX Bikes, Light Offroading, General Hauling Duty, Daily Driver

Hi-Lift is a swiss knife functionally speaking... Just like the knife, it can bite you. I cuss the Hi-Lifts every time I use them, but every time, they get the job done.
    Thean Bellocchi
    "What sound does an Italian Helicopter Make? WOP!, WOP!, WOP!, WOP!" - unknown

Count me as a fan of the Hi-Lift. I still carry one, have used it for recovery/repair in places where I would have been in a really bad situation without it. I also carry a bottle jack, Winch (with all accessories) and various other tools. My Hi-Lift has never inured me and I don't intend to allow it, as I practice the appropriate safety measures. I lean toward carrying too much equipment, but I like having the appropriate tool for the job, which the Hi-Lift sometimes is and sometimes isn't, but you can make it do a lot of things. I have owned one for almost 30 years and the extent of maintenance I have performed is to hose it down with some PB blaster before each use. Other that that it sits hidden, but exposed between my tool box and bed wall.
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO
    2016 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    2002 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4
    2002 Ford F-250 V-10 4x4
    1982 Jeep CJ-8

Default spray away your rust before it starts

Quote Originally Posted by NitroExpress View Post
    ... the extent of maintenance I have performed is to hose it down with some PB blaster before each use. Other that that it sits hidden, but exposed between my tool box and bed wall.
    • I do the same thing, after it rains, just to make sure it will function when needed. I spray the pins and every place a moving part attaches. I carry a can of PB Blaster (or WD-40) in my truck always, along with just about everything else for minor maintenance.
    • Hi-Lift jack mount & lock.jpg

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112