Fear of the highlift?

dumprat

Adventurer
Since when did we all turn into ninnies and be deathly afraid of the highlift jack? They are a staple in industry and off road and since the advent of the internet everybody is afraid of them.

Or is it just a sales pitch for all the goofy crap they sell to try and replace it? Blow up doll exhaust jacks and stuff?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think it is mostly lack of education in the proper use of the thing. It can be misused and to that end one should exercise caution. Sometimes they sit so long on a vehicle that proper maintenance is not followed and parts become rusty to the point of not working properly.

eggman918

Adventurer
A highlift like ANY tool has dangers connected with it's useage..........It's just that as time goes on people seem to have less and less common sense when employing tools we have a second and third generation of kids being raised that never had the opportunity to take shop classes or learn from their parents that took shop classes. Add to that the fact that the last generation or so were brought up in bubble wrap by "helicopter parents" in a world dominated by trial lawyers..............it's a wonder that they are still on the market at all :(

AFSOC

Explorer
Since when did we all turn into ninnies and be deathly afraid of the highlift jack? They are a staple in industry and off road and since the advent of the internet everybody is afraid of them.

Or is it just a sales pitch for all the goofy crap they sell to try and replace it? Blow up doll exhaust jacks and stuff?

I agree with your point, however may not have articulated it in the same manner. Hi-Lift jacks has functionality, versatility and record of success. The Hi-Lift jack is THE industry leader and for seven or so decades and has not been unseated though many have tried. I can't think of any other product with that kind of reign. I don't think it's the perfect tool but I don't think it's fair to criticize it just because it isn't "Dummy Proof". Like any other tool, you need to use it in the manner it was designed to be used and in the manner in which it can be safely used...that advice works for any number of things, tools, firearms, automobiles, ATVs, bicycles, kitchen appliances, etc. etc.

eggman918

Adventurer
I agree with your point, however may not have articulated it in the same manner. Hi-Lift jacks has functionality, versatility and record of success. The Hi-Lift jack is THE industry leader and for seven or so decades and has not been unseated though many have tried. I can't think of any other product with that kind of reign. I don't think it's the perfect tool but I don't think it's fair to criticize it just because it isn't "Dummy Proof". Like any other tool, you need to use it in the manner it was designed to be used and in the manner in which it can be safely used...that advice works for any number of things, tools, firearms, automobiles, ATVs, bicycles, kitchen appliances, etc. etc.

When they originally came out EVERY vehicle used a jack of that design the highlift was just taller so everyone was familiar with the limitations of the basic design.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hi lift jacks are bumper jacks and bumper jacks are pretty much useless for anything made in the past 10 years or so, with the exception of the Jeep Wrangler.
Around here the primary function of a high lift jack is to be bolted to the hood of a primer-painted mid-90's Cherokee in order to look "salty." :rolleyes:

downhill

Adventurer
LOL,
It's hard to imagine anyone "overlanding" who lives in fear of simple things. Internet fear is something that has evolved as a sort of pseudo wisdom. If you don't have anything actually "wise" to say, you can always advise caution. Hard to go wrong there! Of course everyone should be cautious, right?. Using a high Lift jack, like everything else in life, is about managing risk. That is all. Crawling under a truck supported by a jack is probably not such a good risk. Abandoning the whole concept because you fear it might somehow chase you down and beat you to death??? Probably not such a good risk assessment either. My personal opinion is that the world has become far too safe. Thankfully, I got to ride bikes without a helmet, stand up in the back seat of the car, explore the back country without a cell phone, and install chains using a bumper jack. I'm better for it. It was a lot more interesting when doing something stupid was your fault, instead of the fault of a company who could not imagine how stupid you could be.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Maxtrax are kind of the nouveau Hi Lift anyways. Limited usefulness but everyone has to have it.

There are very, very few situations that either a Hi Lift - or Maxtrax - will get you out of that a winch will not.

As for changing a tire, a bottle jack is far smaller safer, and more effective.

dumprat

Adventurer
Try changing a tire with a bottle jack while stuck in a mud hole. Ripped the valve stem off buddy's truck, he then got really stuck.

dumprat

Adventurer
Winch to what? There was nothing within range. And an early bronco doesn't have enough weight to pull out a full size.

High lift wins.

And where do you wheel in New England? The state is tiny and has more people than my entire country?

SheepnJeep

Hi lift jacks are bumper jacks and bumper jacks are pretty much useless for anything made in the past 10 years or so, with the exception of the Jeep Wrangler.
Around here the primary function of a high lift jack is to be bolted to the hood of a primer-painted mid-90's Cherokee in order to look "salty." :rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with this. Had a Hi-lift in my Cherokee for years and I never used it even 1 time. Nothing to hook it to properly on the car.
I found an awesome giant scissor jack at a swap meet and use that instead. Works and is compact compared to a Hi-Lift.

As for "work around the property" I much prefer the stamped steel bumper jacks cars used to come with. They don't weigh 2 billion pounds :)

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Highlifts can be winches assuming there is an anchor and you have accessories (which you should).

You can also jack n tumble your way out of some stuff. Not for dummies, and not possible with a bottle jack.

Carrying assorted sized lifting slings, straps, padding (for the nice paint crowd), and lifting base can adapt a HL to almost any vehicle. I have a manual I printed off the web in the glovebox of HL use/tricks.

Yes, along with YETI coolers, they are the a status symbol thing for many people... just like winches. I have a PU and keep it in back out of the weather so it works... also doesn't get stolen. Paid 5 bucks for it.. between truck use and carpentry/home use, don't know what I'd do without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94