Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Away We Winnebago

From Sedona we made a fairly short drive back up to Lake Powell across the border in Utah. I had wanted to get back here and explore more of the slot canyons. Lone Rock makes a great base camp and the full moon views of the lake were pretty awesome.

IMG_4286 by ssichler, on Flickr

IMG_4316 by ssichler, on Flickr

The first canyon I hiked was the longest and deepest in the Southwest with the bonus of being named one of the top ten deadliest hikes by Backpacker magazine - Buckskin Gulch. Fortunately the weather was almost perfect with no rain.

DSC03624 by ssichler, on Flickr

Water Hole Canyon is close to Page, AZ and on the Navajo Reservation. Not as big and scary as Buckskin Gulch but I enjoyed exploring with my wife.

IMG_4366 by ssichler, on Flickr

We also did a very long Jeep trip up from Lake Powell to town of Escalante. This Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is an area I would definitely like to see more of.

IMG_4322 by ssichler, on Flickr

Terrific posts and blog. My wife and I, when we were about your ages, did something similar in 1992 - we sold off most of our stuff and stored the rest and headed out for an unknown period of time in our Lance camper and truck. The Lance didn't have the amenities of the new ones and our truck was a 4x2 but we ended up doing 16k miles over six months all over the west and BC and Alberta. It was a great adventure but I envy the luxe way you guy are traveling.

Since the camper, we had kids and traveled in the Lance until they started growing and we ended up with two fifth wheels, one of which we still have. I never liked towing them, however, and when we got back from our last great adventure in 2007 with our then young kids, I parked the thing and bought a camping van. I'm retired now but my wife is three years away and I wonder what the next rig will be. Like you guys, we like boondocking, not campgrounds. I would have never thought of a class A as an adventure rig but you're proving us all wrong!
    2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LLC)
    2002 Pleasure Way Traverse Class B pop top van
    2001 GMC 4x4 2500HD EC, LB
    2007 Nash 27-5B fifth wheel

I saw that link from you earlier in the thread. We've spent our RV *career* just winging it as to campsites but modern technology has certainly made life on the road easier!
    2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LLC)
    2002 Pleasure Way Traverse Class B pop top van
    2001 GMC 4x4 2500HD EC, LB
    2007 Nash 27-5B fifth wheel

Default Lake Mead

From Lake Powell we made our way to a great free camping spot on Lake Mead.

IMG_4411 by ssichler, on Flickr

stewpointnv-1 by ssichler, on Flickr

We had didn't know too much about the area but ended up really loving the spot.

GOPR1788 by ssichler, on Flickr

Nearby Valley of Fire State Park was really beautiful.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456