SPDT switch wiring

shortround13

Looking for some electrical help. Rocker switch will be an on/off/on (3 position, up middle down)
First, here is what I hope to achieve:
Up (on) will turn on the roof light bar
Middle (off) will be....off!
Down (on) will turn on both the roof and a bumper light bar.

I'll be the first to admit my electrical experience is limited, but I see 2 options. Not sure if they will indeed work or if one is better than. The other.
Option 1: use a 5 pin relay for the bumper light with 2 power outputs (87 and 87a) run a jumper to the roof relay with a diode so that when the switch is down, it powers both lights. The diode should prevent power from traveling back to the bumper relay when the switch is up for the roof light.
1688a61cfcd6c9672505e0731afc3f60.jpg

Option 2: same concept but run the jumpers and diode on the switch terminals. This seems like it would be better because of lower current at the switch.
Here is the wiring diagram for the switch I'm thinking of using. Note that it does not reflect the use/wiring I'd be doing
18755ba7c66269c3dae68b24af699fc8.jpg

And for posterity, here are 2 other switches in case somebody with more know how sees a better way to wire it up.
0175a03be941c9e116d89c6c7b2b0384.jpg

6b9120f77459197c494544731f1b81f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer
You could also consider a double pole double throw switch with one set of poles for the roof light bar, and the other set for the bumper light bar - no diodes needed.

shortround13

You could also consider a double pole double throw switch with one set of poles for the roof light bar, and the other set for the bumper light bar - no diodes needed.
Do you have an example of how to wire it? I looked at those as well but like I said, I'm still learning and my visualization of how they would wire up didn't happen. My basic understanding of the DPDT switch was for powering multiple accessories for each position, not necessarily what I want to do.

Rando

Explorer
DPCO-double-pole-centre-off.gif

A and D both go to +12V. B and C both go to your roof light bar relay. F goes to your bumper light bar relay. E is disconnected.

shortround13

Why not two separate switches for ultimate versatility?
A few reasons:
1. I think it'd be kinda neat/different to have it wired that way
2. Don't really see much of a need for just a small bumper bar to be on without the roof
3. Planning on using a 6 switch housing and that would make 7!
That's probably the biggest reason. But it's not set in stone, maybe I'll end up with 2 switch panels.

So far I have in mind for: roof/bumper/fog/left & right alley/rear/rock lights

I will have a rocker for temporary battery combine, possibly another for inverter power....

Maybe do a 6 and 3 switch panel.....decisions decisions

mr2autoxr

where are you finding your 3 way rocker switches? I'd like some of the nice ones that have text and a small icon on them. But those I see like that are always just a on-off. I'm looking for the on-off-on switches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles