Privacy Curtains for JKU?

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Hello all, I'm in need of a little help/inspiration. I'd like to make a set of privacy curtains to cover the rear windows of the cargo area, tailgate glass, and front cockpit area to give myself a bit more privacy when camping near other folks. I know it can as simple as tossing up a sheet or extra clothing, but I'm hoping for a more refined solution. Curious as to what others have done. Thanks in advance...Jerry

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Adhesive Velcro on vehicle. Sheets with Velcro. Attach when needed. Light and packable.

Bam2413

Observer
I recently was thinking about this as well. Going to make something up with magnets instead of Velcro. Post pics if you come up with something good!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
James Baroud has an Isothermic kit for the Jeep JK that covers every window and has a reflective side to keep heat in our out. It attaches with suction cups and is reversible, top notch James Baroud quality as well! :)

jbjk1_zpszrczswup.jpg

jbjk2_zpsg92u2t4t.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Wow, Rin. That is a really nice setup. Just checked them out on your web site.
You are right on about the quality craftsmanship. :)

I've always just hung some towels or fleece blankets over the roll bars and front seats, but that would be awesome for cold/hot weather camping. :beer:

Septu

Explorer
Adhesive Velcro on vehicle. Sheets with Velcro. Attach when needed. Light and packable.

This. I made bug nets for the rear doors by just cutting, folding and gluing some really fine mesh together to fit over the doors/windows. But for the rear window and privacy from the front cabin area, I think the only way to do it is with velcro. Remember that it doesn't have to be something super heavy - even a really light mesh will be enough to block the light/view from the outside.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Rin, Those are great! I especially like the added benefit of the insulation/reflective material. Thanks...

Bam2413

Observer
James Baroud has an Isothermic kit for the Jeep JK that covers every window and has a reflective side to keep heat in our out. It attaches with suction cups and is reversible, top notch James Baroud quality as well! :)

jbjk1_zpszrczswup.jpg

jbjk2_zpsg92u2t4t.jpg

Rino - How good is this kit at blocking the light out. Say for instance one would try and sleep in the jeep during the day would you say it works like blackout curtains or do you get light coming through around the perimeter of each panel?

jbjk1_zpszrczswup.jpg

jbjk2_zpsg92u2t4t.jpg

OMGs that's a great Idea Love it! but what I was going to say, is goto your local sign shop and pick up one of those exterior pinhole color matching vinyl sheets and stick to your windows..

Right @FrenchieXJ That though crossed my mind also.. To bad either the roof or window didn't have a metal edge so one could use magnets. The roll up version like those Jeff Scherb describes in many of his post could be something to consider. But I've though about instead of placing the vinyl on the outside of the window you could place it on the inside as a permanent fix. Couldn't see in or out.. so might create a wider blind spot.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Wow, Rin. That is a really nice setup. Just checked them out on your web site.
You are right on about the quality craftsmanship. :)

I've always just hung some towels or fleece blankets over the roll bars and front seats, but that would be awesome for cold/hot weather camping. :beer:

haha no doubt! They are super handy hiding my 5lb tank when going through the tunnels :)

Rino - How good is this kit at blocking the light out. Say for instance one would try and sleep in the jeep during the day would you say it works like blackout curtains or do you get light coming through around the perimeter of each panel?

I've never actually tried all the covers during the day, but I would assume you will get a little light between the panel and window edges.

Gonzzo

Observer
I got some cardboard from work, traced the front and side rear windows, cut to shape, going to glue black auto carpet to one side and reflectix to the other, summer time i will have the reflectix out black carpet in. Opposite for winter. As i get older i find I'm annoyed by bright light more and more so these are a perfect solution for me. I will do the same with the front windshield as well as the rear window.

My last mode was a 2003 ZR2 Blazer, had a spare mounte high up on the back, made the rear view mirror useless so i got used to not having one, so i don't use the back window in the jeep either, whent as far as removing the mirror, gonna place a dedicated GPS there instead.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier