01 wrangler roof rack antenna install

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
I'm in the process of installing my Yaesu 7800 and need some advice. It's going in a 01 jeep wrangler, soft top, and Garvin roof rack.

I would like to install the radio in my Tuffy overhead console. The radio can get warm, has anyone done this? Is the heat going to be too much?

How are people routing the coax from inside the jeep to the outside?

Finally I was thinking of using a foldable mount on my roof rack, any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

Ryan

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
I mounted the base of my FT-7900 under the passenger seat of my JKUR, and used a gopro bar mount to put the head above the rear view mirror. I used a lip mount and put it on the right side of the spare on the tailgate and routed antenna cable along factory cable to radio under seat. I am running into trouble finding a place to mount in my new WK2.

For your application, I am not sure if the 7800 has a detachable face which may require you to mount in another fashion.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like your previous mounting setup is a little different than what I'm looking to do. I've found some info on ham sites that is useful. Maybe that's the direction for your wk2 install? I haven't had any luck on vehicle based sites.

Thanks again,

Ryan

PhulesAU

Explorer
Look At K0BGs website, for good information. Personally I wouldn't even consider putting my antenna on a cargo rack, unless it was the only option.

MOguy

Explorer
Whatever you mount your antenna to becomes part of the antenna. Racks, doors, fender etc that attach to your body will have paint or powered coating in-between them and the body making your antenna ground (Radio Frequency ground) not as good as it could be.

The best option is high and in the middle of the vehicle. with a soft top that isn't possible. With a roof rack that isn't possible.

You will have to compromise and have a less than ideal setup but do you really need the ideal setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne