Re-rigging a pull using a manual winch

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Just a random thought, but what about using extensions in lengths slightly shorter than the range of your come along? So if you're come along has a 21 ft usable range, use 20ft extensions. Setup you're pull, and pull until you run out of room. You anchor the end of your extension to whatever the come along is anchored to, then the far end of the extension is now within range of your wire rope. If you had one long strap you'd need to tie loops at appropriate intervals to hook into. Knot's will weaken the strap by some margin, but if that's you're only choice then it's possible

I can just say I've tried a Tifor style winch once, and I've tried using a hi-lift jack as a winch one time (for practice) That was all I needed to convince me to get a winch. Even doing it in a simulated pull with no stress and perfect conditions, I realized I never wanted to be doing it in a real life stuck situation. I'm sure they work and will get you unstuck, but if you've got to pull a truck 20 ft in the mud that $300 for HF winch will seem like a deal.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
With hand winches/ come-along you pretty much need to use chains to avoid the stretch tow ropes have that wastes half of your reel taking up the elasticity (new synthetic ropes excluded of course). The cool thing with chains is that you can walk along them with a 3rd chain (with Clevis hooks) that is just a bit longer than the extended come-along.

So you have:
--------------Chain1 <-> Come---------------along <-> Chain2----------------

Winch in the Come-along:
---------------Chain1 <-> Come-Along <-> Chain2-----------------

Add the 3rd chain at full extension:
---------------Chain1 <-> Come-Along <-> Chain2-----------------
______^----------------Chain3----------------------------^_______

Release tension on the comealong until chain 3 is bearing the load. Then reconnect it all at full extension:
---Chain1 <-> Come-------------------------Along <-> Chain2---
______^----------------Chain3----------------------------^_______

Start Reeling in the comealong while Chain 3 goes slack and can be removed to repeat:
---Chain1 <-> Come-Along <-> Chain2---

I did this once and it worked but I also realize it's worth just getting a Winch and chucking all this crap out. Still, it's good to know for emergencies, works with Hi-Lifts too.

These are the clevis chain hooks for people who haven't seen them. They're made to clip on a chain link so you can add the 3rd chain or loop a chain back on itself to shorten it.
http://amzn.to/2m0usfC

Vinman

Observer
Why couldn't one use a Whey-scott type come-a-long with a much longer synthetic rope but use it like a capstain style winch?
Instead of spooling all the rope on the drum, simply wind several layers but leave the end loose so you could pull one end of the rope off the drum while the other end wraps on? It certainly works in my head.:victory:

trasko

Adventurer
I like the capstain-style winch idea. I wonder if that would work. That would get rid of the main short-coming which is the constant re-rigging.

trasko

Adventurer
Also @Kerensky97 That's a good idea with the chain. It's similar to what I've done with a hi-lift: capture your progress with a chain. Sure gets heavy (I carry 2x 20'), but effective. I can't imagine carrying a third!

The "captain" style sounds like the ticket.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Kerensky97,
I am not sure what type of tow straps you are referring to, as none of mine stretch an appreciable amount. If you are referring to a snatch/recovery strap which does stretch, those shouldn't ever be used with a come along.
I personally like chain and use it all the time around the house and keep one in my one ton truck, but for the Tacoma I currently daily drive I don't want the weight penalty of the chain. I currently have 3x20'and 1x30' 20k rated tow straps in the Tacoma, which all together don't weight more than a few pounds.

Trasko,
I did secure the line at the end of the drum, but I don't know that I would try to use it with less than 2-3 wraps still on the drum. The idea of using a capstan style come along could work, but it would certainly complicate using the come along, especially trying to keep the synthetic line clean and out of the dirt.

FrenchieXJ,
You are exactly right about needing to stop and think. All tools, especially ones capable of generating forces capable of lifting or pulling a vehicle, are much more dangerous that most people think. I find both familiarity and ignorance breed contempt. Having appropriate knowledge, practice, and a healthy amount of fear for what is involved is necessary for any tool, Winch, Come Along, Tifor, Capstan, Snatch Strap, High Lift, Bottle/Scissor Jack, etcetera.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
an appropriately sized tirfor or capstan winch is basically powered winch money, you might as well get a bumper/receiver and winch at that point

trasko

Adventurer
I just wanted to thank everyone again for their thoughtful replies. I still haven't gotten a winch (don't have a place to put it and I don't want a heavy bumper... new suspension, etc). I'll have one some day, though. Kerensky97 specifically, I think your post got buried behind the Wyett-Scott-as-captain winch post but your write-up of using chains (and ascii-art) is excellent. I think that's probably the most accessible and functional solution short of a real winch.

My assessment from this thread, however, is "just get an electric winch." I want to learn from other people (the easy way, not the hard way). ;-) Thanks again everyone.

Clintnz

Observer
Having used a few different types of portable & manual winches for vehicle recovery I would go for a Tirfor. They work really well compared with the other alternatives. We have an old '750kg' capacity Chinese Tirfor copy that has recovered many stuck vehicles. I've used a 2500kg one that was very impressive in terms of pull vs effort.

If use is only going to be very occasional, you usually have a couple of able bodies in the vehicle & the vehicle isn't too heavy then a Tirfor can be a perfectly reasonable option. Versatile too as you can easily pull from any direction.

However if you're planning on fitting up a new bumper anyway & you often expect to do a few recoveries in the course of a day's adventures, then an electric winch on the front is preferable.

Cheers
Clint

E.J.

Explorer
I just wanted to thank everyone again for their thoughtful replies. I still haven't gotten a winch (don't have a place to put it and I don't want a heavy bumper... new suspension, etc). I'll have one some day, though. Kerensky97 specifically, I think your post got buried behind the Wyett-Scott-as-captain winch post but your write-up of using chains (and ascii-art) is excellent. I think that's probably the most accessible and functional solution short of a real winch.

My assessment from this thread, however, is "just get an electric winch." I want to learn from other people (the easy way, not the hard way). ;-) Thanks again everyone.
ae9e58aac95f06b05092d14fcab57382.jpg

https://wambumpers.com/store/custom...17/20052017-Nissan-Frontier-Winch-Carrier/719
This might meet your needs for a mount. To be honest though this company has a shady history but seems to have their s#!t together since new ownership took over a year or so ago.

trasko

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip. I saw them on here or ClubFrontier one time and put it in my notes. The price seems quite reasonable.

MOguy

Explorer
If you rig it right you may even be able to pull it out by hand.

What you have to realize is that if you are using a 2:1 mechanical advantage you will pull 10 feet to move your load five 5, 3:1 you will pull 12 feet to move your load 4 feet, 4:1 you will pull 12 feet to move your load 3 feet.

You do not gain true mechanical advantage by using snatch blocks or pulleys unless they are within the system or rigging, not at the anchor points. Pulleys at the anchor point are only good for change of direction.
images

Get an electric winch. Doing it by hand sucks. Unless you are doing some elaborate rigging you will probably be hand winching between you load and your anchor point. This is a very dangerous place to be. How much value do you put in your own safety?

If you are worried about weight and space, the appropriate chain and other equipment that you should use for this will negative any weight and space savings.

I had an 8k come along, and it did work but it was huge and a PIA, I used it one a real hard pull where I had to stabilize my load and reset. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! TOO much can go wrong. I love my Hi Lift and use it for recovery but not for winching.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles