How Do You Carry Your Bicycles? Pics Please

CDN38

North Shore Rack 4 bike rack. Fits into the receiver hitch, rock solid.

Attachments

• NSR.jpg
    NSR.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 87

Mo4130

Adventurer
Bout ready to pull the tricker on an isi. They are out of Australia and are a little pricey but they look super saweeeet

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
bike rack.jpg

Etrailer's cheapest option. It's pretty solid but I cant open the Forester hatch with it mounted, no tilt.

ericvs

Here is another thread with more ideas:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/115422-Good-overland-duty-hitch-racks-for-bicycles

I currently use a NorthShore rack (like CDN38), but I am about to sell it and get a ReconRack. He has a swing out rack in the works, so I am going to hold out for that. It should swing well out of the way so you can still access the back door.

http://recon-racks.com/

Bout ready to pull the tricker on an isi. They are out of Australia and are a little pricey but they look super saweeeet

I saw one of these in Seattle and talked to the guy a bit. he was stoked on it and it looked awesome. I think you will be happy with it.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
That's cool and all, but I'll be dangled if I'm going to spend $10,000 + to STILL sleep in a tent, a fancy one, but still a tent. I'd buy a $2,000 utility trailer, a $1,000 tent before I went that fancy route.

I use a Thule hitch mounted swing away 4 bike carrier. It's about $400.

I have an older model that converts to hold skis from bikes.

I think the new model is called the Apex.

Just swing the bikes out of the way so you can gain access to the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jkilgore11

Adventurer
We have continued to upgrade our bike carriers over the past few years on our truck with four wheel camper. Our bikes go with us everywhere. We started out with a Thule hitch rack. During a trip down an old dirt/sand road in Moab, we thought they were going to fly off the rack. Our friend ahead of us had a 1UP rack and his bikes didn't budge. We sold the Thule, immediately purchased one when we made it home, and use it on our truck and Jeep. It was a bit tight going in the camper so we mounted it to an extension/step with a hitch stabilizer. Love the extra step getting in the camper and the bikes don't have to be tilted down. It does decrease the departure angle and has a little more movement, but it is still pretty solid.
We were tired of worrying about theft and continuous salt spray while traveling the coast. We purchased a short walled 5x8 enclosed trailer with side door. After lifting it, installing a roof rack, and some new Jeep takeoffs from Craigslist, we have our final solution. All new with less than $2000 in it. The extra storage and being able to use the back seat for passengers is worth it. Kayaks or roof top tent for extra people can go on the roof rack.
The 1UP rack is still the go-to for local trips. A little long winded. Hope this helps.

Profire78

I have a couple different ways of carrying my bikes on my truck but I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures on here. I'm new to this site and it isn't allowing me to post links to images. Is there a minimum post count before linking to a photo storing site is allowed?

Lucky j

Explorer
North Shore Rack 4 bike rack. Fits into the receiver hitch, rock solid.
Wow, that is a long and low overhang!! I would have modified that 2" bar a long time a go to make the bikes higher.

But nice LR!!

Last edited:

Profire78

I built my hitch mounted carrier and the rack system above the bed.
IMG_5252.jpg

Now I have a cap on the truck so I will likely build onto the hitch mounted rack to carry multiple bikes.
IMG_1492.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

bajarat

Explorer
Profire,

Do you have any dimensions, notes, drawings from your rack build?

I am looking for a similar solution and I like yours

i-NdjcbcD.jpg

i-McFqvGr.jpg

Profire78

I do not but I can take some measurements for you. Unfortunately I'm at the firehouse for a 24hr shift today and leave tomorrow for the UK for a week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke