How Do You Carry Your Bicycles? Pics Please

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Clintnz has the right idea. Anything in a trailer receiver seriously cramps off roadablility. We recently picked up a Kuat rack used.. works great, but damn spendy. Can carry four bikes with wheels on if you expand it (more$$$). I am going to build a bumper/swing away gas can carrier that will have a 2" receiver to plug the rack into. We were recently in Utah, and our friends with a Kuat 2 bike rack in trailer receiver could hardly go anywhere other than dead flat roads.... big money hanging off the back in the rack alone much less the bikes to taco in a dip in the road.

4xdog

Explorer
As noted above, the racks from 1up USA look interesting. I've seen a few in person, and surprisingly they seem to show more weathering than one might expect from anodized aluminum. Maybe the ones I've seen have led hard lives...

Image from the 1up USA website:
10.jpg

I'm a seriously tall guy (6'6"), so my bikes are up HIGH when roof mounted. I'm delighted with this setup on my Tacoma. (Yeah, it's relevant only to truck folk, but this thread is useful enough that it's worth sharing here).
i-vJFCF4C-X2.jpg

i-JFFV5jH-X2.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
Kinda old now (as Rabobank stopped being a UCI pro tour team years ago), but here's the rack system on one of the team cars as spotted outside my hotel in NL one morning. Interesting custom work. I lost count, but I think this might have held seven bikes on top of that Skoda.
i-Sv4RsXs-XL.jpg

i-XdJbt7K-XL.jpg

i-cFbps2q-XL.jpg

i-78mVzmx-XL.jpg

i-r7CGjZ6-XL.jpg

i-5cwjnqd-XL.jpg

Choff

Adventurer
LIKE THIS !!!!
ON A NEW HITCH MOUNTED "SARIS" BIKE CARRIER

AND YES THE RED ONE IS A VINTAGE BIKE I BOUGHT NEW IN 1986 YES I AM THAT OLD!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3105.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 32

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
High clearance, solid off road, room for two, and I can open my tailgate when bike is off.

Attachments

• IMG_7899[1].JPG
    IMG_7899[1].JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 45

Lucky j

Explorer
I am going to build a bumper/swing away gas can carrier that will have a 2" receiver to plug the rack into.

Just make sure when you built this that the hinge/pivot point is big as... tought. Big off road tire, sometime back rack and well a bike rack that bring the weight way back specially if you go with 4 bikes, put a lot of stress on the rack construction and the pivot and clamping system. And if the system brakes, you bike could be draging down the road a long time before getting to a stop.

Washboard and bad road put a lot of stress in an overloaded tire rack.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The OP might want to consider having a custom roof rack made, bikes upright, kayaks racked between or outside them. And a front mounted whip antenna as a height / clearance reminder.

Josh41

Adventurer
Finally decided on a Yakima Swing Daddy, Swings away easily to open camper door, even found a way to use Quick Fists to mount a shovel. Says it can hold four bikes, but three is much easier and all we needed anyway.
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%209.05.49%20PM_zpsfwfhf45c.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%209.11.28%20PM_zpspbgqtncd.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%209.11.44%20PM_zpsm61i8xug.png

CDN38

Wow, that is a long and low overhang!! I would have modified that 2" bar a long time a go to make the bikes higher.

But nice LR!!
Need the length to get out past the spare, but also for the length of the dual crown forks. It looks deceiving, but that receiver bar is over 24" off the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94