How Do You Carry Your Bicycles? Pics Please

Josh41

Adventurer
Looking to get input on how you carry your bicycles. Looking to get mine on the rear of the vehicle and still able to access camper door. I'm running them on a front hitch with a Yakima rack, but don't like the blocked headlights.
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-18%20at%207.12.35%20AM_zpsgwnnt1cg.png

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You are a prime candidate for a small trailer. put your kayaks, bikes and gear in that...and your good to go!

Josh41

Adventurer
I want to avoid the trailer because we are taking a 5 week trip on and off road this summer (no kayaks). I really like being compact and able to park anywhere.
I looked at RakAttach, really cool solution, a little more than I wanted to spend (somewhere in the $400's just for the swing)
Current idea is a Yakima Swing rack with 12" extender (the camper is about 12 inches longer than the truck.

schmugboy

Observer
With bikes that size/weight having them on an extender may not be the best idea, especially if going offroad. The bouncing and dynamic load may cause more problems or so I've heard, no personal experience, just something I considered with my old Jeep. I think the swing away carrier would be your best option, maybe you could find a gently used one. The one last viable option would be hanging them vertical to the back of the camper, I've seen a hitch rack like that, not sure you want to drill in the back of your camper, plus the size of the bikes may preclude that option.
I want to avoid the trailer because we are taking a 5 week trip on and off road this summer (no kayaks). I really like being compact and able to park anywhere.
I looked at RakAttach, really cool solution, a little more than I wanted to spend (somewhere in the $400's just for the swing)
Current idea is a Yakima Swing rack with 12" extender (the camper is about 12 inches longer than the truck.

zoblo

Observer
I use an older Yakima Swing Daddy. It's great and pretty tough. It has a bolt tightening system for the hitch pin so you can eliminate the play of the rack in the receiver hitch when it's tightened down. You could buy the actual 'hitch pin' and put it in your receiver extension to reduce the play. altho' I did try and do that with a Harbor Freight receiver extension but it didn't work as the inside dimension of the extension was a little too small. But perhaps with a different brand it may work. Here's a link to the hitch pin http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y8890185.html?feed=npn&gclid=COuk28HBttICFZ23wAod468FOQ

If I'm only carrying one bike I put a yakima fork mount on the back of the camper and strap the rear wheel to the bumper as in the attached picture.
IMG_1225.jpg

Clintnz

Observer
I made a rack that clips on to my swing away tyre carrier:

rP1040927_zpsqghjuxjj.jpg

The idea was to have something solid enough to handle mild trails without the bikes wobbling around. It works well. Mounting the bikes by their forks makes for a rock solid attachment, but you do need to have somewhere to put the front wheels.

r20150807_142458_zpsopwhpban.jpg

The alu top section also bolts to another base frame that bolts on in place of the tow hitch on my Subaru.

Cheers
Clint

justrom

Adventurer
If you're not taking the boats on your big trip why not put the bikes on the rack on top of the camper?

We use a Yakima SwingDaddy, it'll open up to clear the tailgate, but I doubt it would clear the camper.

Jason911

Adventurer
There are a couple states in our union where those front mounted bikes will earn you a summons from local law enforcement. I do not know if the "legal in the state of ownership" will allow it to be valid in other states - as per say a drivers license. You might want to check into that. Not trying to be a knob..just letting you know of the possible outcomes.

GHI

Adventurer
I didn't see Northshoreracks listed here yet so I'll throw that out there just in case you haven't considered or heard of them. I have their NS-4 or something close to that which stores 4 bikes in a vertical fashion. I normally use it on a 2011 Chevy Express 3500.

Last season I carried a Salsa Mukluk, Specialized hard tail, tricycle and a bicycle trailer on it. The swing down is adjustable and if I remember correctly I was able to open both rear doors with the rack adjusted to the complete down position with all that stuff on there. Worst case scenario you take your bikes off, but it literally takes seconds.

Josh41

Adventurer
@Clintnz - awesome rack, just need to find a good swing for my rig. Best I can find is the Attach Rak, between that and a used hitch tray rack I'm close to $700 (ouch).
@Jason911 - I worry about that too. Last month we took a trip to NH and drove both ways in the dark, besides a ticket, I could see anything with the bikes blocking the lights, maybe I should have gotten a ticket.
@GHI, Cool rack, I used to work for a bike company and we had a rack custom made for a Ford Tauras that could hold a slew of bikes and wheels, I by the the time I put swing arm on, the cost will just be too high for me. My amatuer physics brain also says that one good bump and the whole thing is coming down.
@Justrom - good question, why not Just put them on top, (especially since I already have the rack? Just a pain in the @ss getting up and down. Also, My rig is only 7'8" and this would put me up to about 10'6" (I should really reconsider this idea). I am considering a Swing Daddy with a 7 inch extension it should clear just fine. I found a device that will stiffen up the connection and precent sag between the hitch and extender.

I have a few months to make my final decision.

Thanks for everyones input.
Josh

XJINTX

Explorer
I don't have a pic handy but I use the RakAttach swingout with a Thule XT2 bike rack on my Superduty with FWC. I like the fact my bikes are supported on their wheels for the washboard and rougher roads. Just swing out of way at basecamp. That said when I take the Jeep and want to ride and paddle I made a boat/bike trailer from a Jetski trailer and love it!!!

mmp3823

Observer
I think it would be easier to off-road with a small trailer than having a bike rack sticking so far back from the wheels. Going over inclines the rack would end up dragging on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94