Anywhere in the US to get a fiberglass propane cylinder re certified?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have a Ragasco fiberglass propane tank from Norway that is out of date. None of the local propane companies where I live will even touch the thing. They act like it's a nuclear device or something. Nobody has ever even SEEN these things. Is there ANYWHERE in the US that will inspect and certify these tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

screwball48

Explorer
Check with a welding supply shop. They deal with having tanks re certified. They may can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perterra

Adventurer
Vikingcylinders.com

Dig around for a requalifier, should be some around. There was a recall on a different brand so therefore may be confusion between the two

tncamp

What is the manufacture date stamped on the cylinder? These have a 15 year service life from date of manufacture. Here is the DOT special permit relating to these cylinders (http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP12706_2011100204.pdf). Read section 7.(b) Requalification Testing. You will see it has to be tested every 5 years visually or at 10 years both visually and proof pressure tested. I suspect it will be more cost effective to replace the cylinder than to requalify unless you have an approved testing location nearby.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Wasatch Propane in SLC. Going there in June. Sweet. Finally. Hopefully the know they're on the website as a requalifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downhill

Adventurer
There was a big issue here in the US with a company called LiteTank, or something like that. Apparently they got into a pissing match with DOT. They claimed they were mistreated somehow, and eventually declared bankruptcy. I never saw any proof that there was actually a problem with the tanks, just the bureaucracy . The stink that came down from that has caused a lot of confusion. I would keep your cert documents to show at filling stations, and some may still refuse to fill your tank.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
There is officially not one place in New Mexico that will touch a (any brand) fiberglass tank to do a recertification. Ridiculous. I've even shown places the DOT document stating Ragasco tanks are approved. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94