98 K1500 Extended Cab Z71...what would you do?

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Here is the situation. I have an opportunity to purchase for a well cared for 1998 Extended Cab Short Bed Chevy Pick (half ton). I know the full history of the truck (its my dad) and he is meticulous about his vehicles.

Specs:
- 187k miles, 4x4, Z71, 6' bed Extended Cab / 3 door
- All Original / bone stock
- Garage Kept / conservative adult driven/never offroaded
- 3/4 of its life in VA/MD, balance in AZ
- Smoker (so it stinks)
- Fully Optioned/leather/rear defroster/etc
- 90% of truck is in mint condition...

Truck Needs:
-Likely needs brake bleeding (brakes are weak, maybe master cylinder), new brake lines
-New bump stops & crank of torsion bars
-Steering is weak - may need new pump and/or idler
-Some A/C work & windshield wiper controller/motor
-Front driver seat is split / needs to be re-upholstered
-Rear springs are tired (and light duty)
-New headliner & full detail to get rid of the heavy smoke smell
-Bed is slightly wrinkled - never been in an accident, cause is unknown.
He has no idea how it happened as he is so anal about overloading his truck. I think he bottomed out due to tired springs and hit the bumpstops hard while carrying a moderate load.

My uses:
- Occasional daily driver (currently have '07 JKU manual, Rubicon)
- Heavy house remodel planned this year.
- May take it on runs to the backcountry for camping (its may be a bit awkward as I have a 16 month old - I think the carseat will fit in the middle in back) I also have a large dog. I could see getting a lightweight popup truck camper for it...

I already have a small dump trailer that I use for all my needs hauling currently - it can handle easily 3x the payload of the Z71 and handle sheet goods with ease. If I were to buy a pickup for the remodel, it would be a K2500 or K3500 regular cab beater. Normally, i wouldn't consider an older half ton because they are so under built/easily overwhelmed (needs bigger brakes, more payload, etc).

For trips, we pack very light in the jeep and will may tow a small jeep trailer for camping.

However, the truck is in good shape, would get a good deal on it...what would you do?

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey VTsound this might just be the truck for you. After all its your dads old truck so it has some sentimental value to you. I new set of springs in the rear is not going to kill you. Look into some slight lift BDS springs with a couple of extra leafs in it. You could probably get a cheap camper if you keep your eye on craigslist. The truck is only a half ton so dont expect to do any heavy wheeling with it. Just keep a low budget and have fun with that rig. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Ivan

Lost in Space
I'd fix it up to make it road trip worthy, and enjoy it.

If you get the itch later on, just something as simple as a leveling kit and some 295/70r17's will make it look quite well and still be useful.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Hey fellas...Thx for the response. Opted to pass on it. Pops can get more money for it than I'm willing to pay for it ( given the number of comprises)...And he could use the money. Wife and I went back and forth for a while on it, but rather add a vehicle that lets us all explore together. Cheers!

sent via the cone of silence

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Ow well, could have been a cool build. Perhaps we see a surburban in the future for your family to hit the trails with. Here is to hoping you get new ride soon. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior