Awesome U2450 camper

Wyuna

Observer
Great UniMog Camper,

Lots of light in the living areas for a european build

2 x 400 liter diesel tanks?.. i'm not the best german translator.

Nice truck to build a camper on.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Nice write up! I also drooled over this mog, looks amazing. The owner build the box out of stainless steel... Even though it's super solid and will never rust, he says he would never do it again LOL

thebigblue

Adventurer
Yes, twin 400 l. stainless steel diesel tanks.

The frame for the camper is normal steel, the outer skin is 0,6 mm. stainless steel. Insulation is 30 mm. XPS. The build took 4.000 hours. The windows are his own design/build out of 12 mm. acrylic. Box dimensions: Length: 6.900 mm. Width: 2.400 mm. Height: 2.190 mm. Total vehicle height: 3.200 mm. with the 4 point sub-frame.

Wyuna

Observer
i ended up getting google to translate it all, read the build all the way through. its a great build

Am i right that they derated the mod to 7500kg GVM. i'm sure i read that in the build, just can't see how they managed to keep it under 7.5T

thebigblue

Adventurer
Am i right that they derated the mod to 7500kg GVM. i'm sure i read that in the build, just can't see how they managed to keep it under 7.5T

I´m pretty sure this is not the case. The owner, Oliver Jahn, previously had a U1200, and with this build specifically looked for a heavier Mog than even the U1300L in order not to be restricted by the 7,5 ton. limit.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Sorry, I stand corrected, far down on this page: https://gelberunimog.wordpress.com/fahrgestell/ is a mention of a technical gross weight of 13,8 ton, and reduced to 7,5. Strange because of the fact that the owner looked for a bigger Mog than the U1300L. Maybe the 3,8 meter wheelbase was the original reason. Oliver mentions that the 0,6 mm. SS skin has roughly the same weight as a 1,5 mm. aluminum sheet.

On the contact page: https://gelberunimog.wordpress.com/fotos-innenausbau/ someone asked the exactly same question a year ago, - it has not been answered yet.

Last edited:

LandyChris

The registered max. weight is 7500 kg. Fully packed? ;)
A really nice Mog.

Chris
(Although steel in contact with stainless steel without isolation may be a good battery ;) - see electrochemical series or Land Rover Al vs. Fe) ;)

thebigblue

Adventurer
Right yes. I think the SS skin is glued on with tape, also SS on steel is not as bad a combo as the aluminium on steel. (Remember the periodic table?)

Wyuna

Observer
i still can't see who they managed to keep it under 7.5 ton,

Iain struggled with his 1250 unimog, and then bumped it up to 8 ton

LandyChris

Right yes. I think the SS skin is glued on with tape, also SS on steel is not as bad a combo as the aluminium on steel. (Remember the periodic table?)

Yes this combination is (a little bit better) and without elektrolyde and a good isolation will work. Unfortunately they use a lot of salt over here in winter ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles