03 Montero Rotella T6 Question

MoabRefugee

Observer
A point that has been brought up in certain forum discussions about Rotella T6 is that it's higher phosphorus content could possibly have long-term detrimental effects on a catalytic converter. My assumption would be that this could really only be an issue if you were burning excessive amounts of oil for a long time (valve stem seals anyone?).

Good point. I would caution folks that haven't buttoned up their motor. Most of the diesel oils have additive packages high in zinc, that are bad news for cats. So if you are burning oil, maybe not the best choice until loss sources have been addressed. Officially though API SM rated oils, like T6, are safe for pre-2011 gasoline engines. As stated, my engine just seemed to like the oil, that, in combination with the UOA, have ended my oil search for the Monty.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Been running Rotella for maybe 15 years, always ben a solid performer for me. I run the standard 15W40 on my oil burners (gas and diesel) and 5w40 T6 on my good (gas) engines.

AZPAJERO

Observer
Going to pickup some T6 15w40 for my Gen2 and am curious if I need to use a different kind of oil filter if I go the Rotella route?

Thanks.

alex9528

Observer
Ok gonna try rotella t6 for my 01 limited pls tell me what oil weight and good deal to get and pics of the actual product you are using thanks .

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Going to pickup some T6 15w40 for my Gen2 and am curious if I need to use a different kind of oil filter if I go the Rotella route?

Thanks.

Too heavy, in my opinion (and that of bobistheoilguy.com ). I'm in Phoenix and I'll run 5W-40. The 15 part doesn't flow well enough at start-up and causes excessive wear.
I like NAPA Gold oil filters or if you're planning ahead, buy Wix filters through Rock Auto, as those are the same thing.

John B.

snare

Adventurer
Have run Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W 30since Ive owned it (since November) and the Wix XP filters.
Have always run Rotella T6 in my motorcycle.

Will try the Rotella in the Montero at the next change (which will be soon)

2to4wheels

Adventurer
So recommendations for a 3.8L that does burn a little oil if T6 is out? I also have a some leaky valve covers that need to get addressed.

MoabRefugee

Observer
Use T6. Why wouldn't you?

I think the concerns over contaminating the catalytic converters. I use 1.25-1.75 qts within a 5k interval.

I think MM says oil consumption of 1qt per 1k miles is normal. I have around 13k on Rotella with that consumption, and no issues with cat function, based upon monitoring O2 Sensor voltages on Torque Pro.

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Use T6. Why wouldn't you?

I think the concerns over contaminating the catalytic converters. I use 1.25-1.75 qts within a 5k interval.

I think MM says oil consumption of 1qt per 1k miles is normal. I have around 13k on Rotella with that consumption, and no issues with cat function, based upon monitoring O2 Sensor voltages on Torque Pro.

Mine uses a little more than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94