Adventure Silvy's LX470 Budget Overland Build

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
pardon my ignorance, but what's the point of purchasing the override system when you already adjusted the ride height sensors?

Being i didn't chop the sensor linkage like instructed in the iH8mud thread i was only able to achieve a little bit of lift by bottoming out the adjuster. The override system would give me the lift i was looking for without having to chop down that linkage. I just finished the install on the Slee AHC controller and i have to say i'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'll post about it later in the week when i have some time to sit down.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
How do you like those Baja Designs lights?

I love them! I have them on my other vehicle as well and its been very difficult to get into vehicles that don't have them just because i've been spoiled. The XL80s i have on the LX are perfect for what i'm doing as well, they produce an amazing amount of near and mid field light. I would totally recommend them to anyone that's building a rig, i've had china stuff in the past and it just doesn't compare. If you and a few others are interested in why i went with these, how i wired them and possibly some night shots i would be happy to do a write up on these as well. I think i'll be going out this weekend to test the AHC controller and i can definitely snap some cool light shots as well!

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Here is my AHC Controller write up a week after the install with the perfect amount of time to play around with it. (MY APOLOGIES FOR BEING SLOW ON THIS I'VE BEEN HELLA BUSY.)

So i got it in the mail the product itself came in a zip-lock baggy with everything you need! Nothing was floating around in the box.

View attachment 395146

So began by pulling the underside of the dash out, and the top piece decided to come out as well. No worries though it was just on clips. When pulling out the underside of the dash i would just recommend being cautious to not crack any of the plastic tabs as well as plastic plugs for windows, and mirror switches.

View attachment 395147

Also under the dash they instruct you to unbolt the metal plate that looks somewhat like a heat shield. For some reason mine was rusting so i sanded down the coating a bit and just hit it with some black spray paint.

View attachment 395148

They indicated that you should solder the wires together for the AHC controller and the Vehicles computer but when i went to go get my soldering iron fired up it was broken so i used splice connectors instead and zip tied them up so they wouldn't be pulled on.

In regards to the wiring on this kit, i don't consider myself to be extremely skilled when it comes to wiring but i've wired a lot of different things and i found this to be a pretty easy install. Cut two wires, install four, pretty simple stuff. In regards to the accessory power i played around with a test light in the connectors for the window controls because i assumed their would be a back light or something that would have acc power. So that's where i tapped into. The ground was grounded to somewhere on the steering column i forgot but i just crimped a ring terminal onto it and called it bueno.

IMG_2769.jpg

The indicator light has a red/green LED. RED when the controller is on and Green when the system is working as factory.

I drilled out one of the dummy switches and epoxyed it in.

I went to go mall crawl in a parking lot to test it out!
IMG_6453.jpg
IMG_9409.jpg

Overall thoughts on the kit: I really enjoyed how easy it was to install and the look was perfect for what i was looking for. I am building this truck on somewhat of a budget so this was a good place holder until i can afford the OME cheese and maybe upgraded shocks. SLEE made a quality little product that gives anybody with AHC the option to get a little bit more out of their truck for a great price.

Last edited:

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
WELP i finally made it to the desert and i had failure! Didn't let me slow that down though. Coming down into Borrego the brakes on the LX470 gave out. It started with the ABS and Parking Brake indicator going off being i still had brakes i thought i was a sensor. After trying to fiddle around reseting computers etc.. I got back on the road. I had one good pump in my power brakes and lost them. I didn't let this stop my trip being i had already driven multiple hours through the night. I offroaded through the night and enjoyed my trip out on the truck heaven side of Anza. (Side note: If anyone has any thoughts to what the issue with the brakes are please let me know. My assumptions are the brake booster took a dump but i could be completely wrong) So the lights, the controller and the 35s KICKED A**. The lights were able to light up canyons and were perfect for mobbing down the wash. I really enjoyed using this car and sleeping out of it in the desert. Here are some photos from my trip!

IMG_4958.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well I really hope for your sake it's not the brake master/booster. The price on them is unreal. I was quoted over $4000 for the complete master for my '99 LC. Of course I only called for a laugh as I had just rebuilt my master for $75 (it only needed the piston kit). I would be scouring wrecking yards and hoping that if you find one, the yard doesn't know what they're worth!

Good luck getting it sorted out!

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Good looking rig so far!

You should do a write up on your lights and how you mounted them.

I will haha, the way they are mounted is super temporary and i have some goodies that will change the way its mounted that is why i've been waiting to do the write up! I'm happy to hear there is interest though!!

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
Followed you on Insta a few days ago, happy I found your build thread. Currently no cruiser photos yet on my Insta, but I am Connor618

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How horrendous is the rub and power loss with the 35s? I don't recall you putting many miles on with the stock set up, so I guess the power is not as noticeable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke