Adventure Silvy's LX470 Budget Overland Build

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
How horrendous is the rub and power loss with the 35s? I don't recall you putting many miles on with the stock set up, so I guess the power is not as noticeable?

Not bad at all with the AHC controller locked in hi. The rear doesn't rub at all, the front only rubs when i come down on a bump when the wheels are at half lock. The truck will definitely be getting 33's but for now they're fine.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Well I really hope for your sake it's not the brake master/booster. The price on them is unreal. I was quoted over $4000 for the complete master for my '99 LC. Of course I only called for a laugh as I had just rebuilt my master for $75 (it only needed the piston kit). I would be scouring wrecking yards and hoping that if you find one, the yard doesn't know what they're worth!

Good luck getting it sorted out!

Just checked it and all the relays are working and the pump is not engaging so looks like its going to be a fun time. :[ I'm going to start shopping around for ebay ones with a warranty, or junkyard specials. Thanks for the luck!

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
Hey thanks Connor, send me a couple photos of your LX on insta i'd love to see!
Wow that's a bit embarrassing... can't seem to find your profile now. Mind sharing your new insta name? The one in your sig is no longer there.

Also I'm DirtDawg on IH8MUD if you've seen any of my posts.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Wow that's a bit embarrassing... can't seem to find your profile now. Mind sharing your new insta name? The one in your sig is no longer there.

Also I'm DirtDawg on IH8MUD if you've seen any of my posts.

Haha, it was my bad i haven't changed my profile name in a couple years i forgot that it is now tied to things! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is now @shadetreeluke. I haven't made anything on IH8MUD but i can definitely tell you that that forum has helped me more than once and i don't even have an account. I will most likely go through and add my LX470's build thread over there when i get some time! Sorry about being a bit of a dingus and not keeping my stuff up to date!

Yucaipa Dave

Looks good, the weak link on your LX is the front diff... it's a two pinion for that year (like mine) and will not standup to any kind of slight abuse. I broke mine twice (on 31" A/T tires) before going to the ARB locker, after the first time, I installed a part-time kit from Slee (around $700), this way if it happened again I could still drive it home.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Looks good, the weak link on your LX is the front diff... it's a two pinion for that year (like mine) and will not standup to any kind of slight abuse. I broke mine twice (on 31" A/T tires) before going to the ARB locker, after the first time, I installed a part-time kit from Slee (around $700), this way if it happened again I could still drive it home.

So far its been fine! But i'm very worried about the 35's and i'm working on going down to 33s! With this brake booster thing it's kind of put kink in my plans.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench

So far its been fine! But i'm very worried about the 35's and i'm working on going down to 33s! With this brake booster thing it's kind of put kink in my plans.

Machaiah

I lifted the AHC system to about an 1.5" until i do a diff drop kit???

What do you mean by lifted the AHC system to about 1.5". How?

I mean did the 35's fit without mucking about the AHC.

Sorry newbie here.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
I lifted the AHC system to about an 1.5" until i do a diff drop kit???

What do you mean by lifted the AHC system to about 1.5". How?

I mean did the 35's fit without mucking about the AHC.

Sorry newbie here.

Good on you, don't go any higher until you get the diff drop kit. If you do what i did you'll begin to rip CV boots. Something to note is that the AHC was never really meant for offroading locked in high and i was having issues where my truck would pop up and down from the HI mode to static height.

What i meant by lifting it was i adjusted the sensor bracket so the system read the suspension as being lower. Unfortunately i don't own the truck anymore because i couldn't afford to fix it after the electronic booster went out. The 35s fit with a lot of trimming in the neutral height. The new owner of my old truck ended up going to a OME kit and the truck now is much better suited for the tires.

I'm going to buy the truck back one of these days hopefully! For now i'm happy to answer questions about the stuff i did do.

-Luke

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles