Adventure Silvy's LX470 Budget Overland Build

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
1999 LX470 Build On a Budget

The goal for this build is to keep it under 6.5k and build it as something that my Dad and i can connect with. We've always fantasized about trips that we were uncomfortable taking our vehicles on and when this deal came up all the stars kind of aligned so i couldn't pass it up!

IMG_4458.jpg
IMG_4541.JPG

-Lighting
x1 XL80 Pair Driving Combo

-Wheels and Tires
Stock for now until lifted

If you have any questions let me know! I will try and post installs and a little bit about adventure in this thread! Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Just wanted to give a quick update on the lx470. I'm in the process of purchasing some used wheels that i've been very interested in for a long time. They are one-off weld racing wheels. The person i'm purchasing them from allowed me to test fit them. (checking for hub clearance) I lifted the AHC system to about an 1.5" until i do a diff drop kit. Right now the weld's have 35 Inch toyo M/Ts on them. I think it looks great but im trying to do this build with practicality in mind so i will probably sell the 35s and do 33s. But here is a sneak peak of what the sexy lexy looks like on 35s.
17156348_954717658006238_4863128950023620382_n.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
33's is probably the more sensible choice but it does look bad *****!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
33's is probably the more sensible choice but it does look bad *****!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree totally! I don't want to kill her though she's got 234K miles haha. I'll rock them for a little bit and take a few pictures!

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
So i ended up pulling the trigger on the wheels, went through and put three wheels on and found that the wheel studs on the driver side rear wheel were just toasted on there. I tried just about everything before deciding that i was going to attempt and break them off. 3/5 studs decided they no longer wanted to be apart of the car after being on their its entire life. A little bit of a poo-poo on my parade but hopefully by the weekend i will be back one the ground for a weekend up at Holcomb Valley Big Bear area! Here are some pictures from the last fews days!

IMG_4587.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

Also if anyone is interested i do have the stock wheels with tires that are at 90%. Not trying to hoard crap on this thread but i figure i would make it known that they are available!

Hopefully will have some content off my actual camera in the snow this weekend if i'm able to throw this all back together! :]

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Well i fixed the wheel studs late Friday night into Saturday morning, i drove the truck around on the 35s just to make sure she was good to go and with 4 hours of sleep we were on our way to big bear. I have to say windows down, sun roof open, i was the happiest camper ever cruising up to big bear with the spring weather. Here are some pictures of the trails and land cruiser. The thing preformed like a champ besides me getting a little too over zealous and burying it in the snow right away trying to prove a point to my buddies. The truck drove like my FJ80 i had in high school and brought back so many memories!

Enjoy the pictures!

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Looks good.

A 100 series, a little lift and a decent tire make for a very capable overland rig.

Looking forward to seeing how you build it up for your intended budget.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
So, i purchased a SLEE AHC controller this week and i have to say they were very very helpful. I spoke with both Christo and Ben and they were able to answer all the questions i had with ease. Hopefully will have this by next week and i'll do a small write up on the install if anyone is interested! I'll be sure to get pictures as well.

megahoser

I lifted the AHC system to about an 1.5" until i do a diff drop kit.
I'm assuming you mean an additional 1.5" of lift to the stock system...Can you explain how you accomplished this? I'm planning to get the Slee override switch too. Looking forward to your write-up.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The V8 is way more enjoyable than the I-6. I liked my J80 but the 100 is just that much better reagarding power. The IFS gets lots of bad press but I rarely ever hear of real cases of failure due to being IFS.

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
The V8 is way more enjoyable than the I-6. I liked my J80 but the 100 is just that much better reagarding power. The IFS gets lots of bad press but I rarely ever hear of real cases of failure due to being IFS.

I totally agree! I had the i-6 in the 80 and it was a dog! Not that i wasn't impressed with the torque and stuff off-road it just made it a bit difficult while commuting back and forth from san diego to san clemente.. So far the 100 series has just been all around a bit better in my book just for my needs and a bit more cushy! The IFS seems to be a pretty sturdy system the only thing that does bother me is that AHC being i know nothing about the internal workings of it. Hopefully it'll last me until i can afford all the OME cheese!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles