2016 JKU Backcountry AKA "The Goat"

Eagle05

Adventurer
After lurking and searching and reading on here for a while, I guess it's about time I push out a little bit of my own information. I've learned a lot and had a load of fun researching all the other rides and topics on this website. So first things first, thanks to everyone out there in this digital community for taking the time to post pictures and type up great threads.

Over the last ten years I've been searching through trial and error for my perfect vehicle. While I don't know if this new escape hatch on wheels is forever, it's definitely it for the present and foreseeable future. At this point in my life I've found the vehicle which will become a part of our family and be that Jack of all trades, and master of fun to help us get out there and keep exploring. The road to the Goat has been filled with four Tacomas, three Subarus, a Eurovan and then a Westy Vanagon, a Transit Connect, a Winnebago Class A (Great to live in - minus the whole cheap and breakable RV industry thing, but terrible to drive and park), and a few other random experiments. All of those vehicles have had their ups and downs, but I think (I hope) the Wrangler will finally scratch that itch for which my bank loves me, but my wife does not. The one that has been insatiable and is always driving me to keep looking to greener pastures for a "better" or more perfect vehicle. With any luck, this one will be the one that I (we) form that unbreakable bond with, perfect to our exact needs and desires, and then drive the wheels off exploring every chance we get.

I needed a daily drivable ride that was capable of fitting in a garage, allowed me to crawl into the back with minimal effort to sleep, still tow a trailer even if I had to install the 7-pin adapter, haul crap around town, be functional getting groceries, or moving across the country and still be able to take gravel and snow packed roads in stride. Also, it should look cool because that's rule number one after all. (But not so cool that people never leave me alone when they see me. Don't you hate all the dumb questions you get from random people? Kidding. That's one of the fun parts too.) So I scoured the webs and found a used 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with about 18,000 miles for a decent price not too far away. I even waited until my wife was out of state on the other side of the country so there would be no way she could say no. Now, it wasn't a great price, but it did have everything I wanted in a Wrangler - used with lower miles, an automatic (for the Mrs.), heated seats (for the "cold" days in Alabama, or in case I end up in Alaska again), towing package, and even the Mopar/AEV bumpers that I would have purchased later anyway. The fact it was the Backcountry edition didn't mean a whole lot, but the trendy graphics have somewhat grown on me over the last few months. There's even the trademark little Jeep hidden in them climbing up a red graphic hill that I like to imagine is me exploring some day when I live somewhere actually hilly again. Eventually... We call the assignment here "Resume Building."

I've already put in a lot of time researching and tinkering on this vehicle, and my wallet has been single handedly supporting the economy the last few weeks (You're welcome, America.). Well, I'm pretty sure that's what my UPS guy thinks anyway. I'm probably going to need to chip in for his medical coverage pretty soon if he has to lug any more boxes up my driveway. Either way memorizing your credit card number is probably never a good thing. Anyway, I'm not usually a long winded guy and have always subscribed to the two ears one mouth theory of listening more than speaking. As such I will attempt to post more pictures than anything else with a focus on the stuff that I was hoping to find when doing my own searching. I (have to) talk almost non-stop at work for seven to nine hours a day, and I certainly don't wish to come home just to keep doing it on here. I've seen the look on my students faces when I get on a roll, and the information overload is a killer. Plus, you're all just going to scroll to the pictures anyway. I mean who reads just for the articles, really?

Enter the Goat.
Why name it the Goat? Well, it's the Backcountry edition. Backcountry's mascot is a goat. For an overloading/exploring vehicle it just seemed fitting. And, my wife loves goats so it was a way to win some favor with her. She hasn't always loved our other vehicle names. Except for our short lived Miata. She named it Susie Cream Cheese. I'm not sure why, but it made her laugh so I went with it.

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
Good to see another Alabama guy around here... Sadly for the time I am in Mass. I really miss the Alabama weather...

Eagle05

Adventurer
So it Begins

Where to start on modifications? I suppose I'll post pictures and fill in the gaps.
I'd like to post the pictures inline with the text, but that seems to be taking forever today. Hopefully I can improve on that in future posts.
For now, I'll make due.

Day one with the factory hard top. I pulled that off in order to sell it on Craigslist and put on a Bestop Trektop NX. For now...
Day One.jpg

Then came the Genesis Dual Battery system. Here you can see the mess that was the install. I'll make sure to actually get some complete pictures in there soon enough.

I decided I hate moving stuff to get to other stuff. Enter the Front Runner JKU shelf. I have one of their roof racks on my KL Cherokee, but never did I imagine this shelf would be built out the same exact material. It's heavy duty and awesome - once it's installed that is. This picture is it mounted with the factory flooring still installed and at its lowest mounting height. I don't think it's designed for use with this soft top as I had to keep it low and not attach the outer/rear portion. Once I get the next top on, it should complete the system nicely. The picture is just a bunch of random junk to see how much I could fit back there. As you can see one could go gypsy mode pretty quickly.

Then it was to OK4WD for a pallet of stuff.

The tire swing, fuel caddy, rear vision/brake light went in easy enough, but the back up light was certainly a pain in the rear. As shown by it not being shown in the picture. For now it's wired to a manual switch because for the life of me I cannot figure out why it blows fuses and doesn't work when connected to the factory back up lights. In reality I don't need them to be, but it does seem silly. Most likely I have a short in the wire back to the taillight, or possibly I was distracted and spliced into the wrong wire. Who knows? Plus the switch that came with it is awful and needed replacing. It reminded me of the long throw shifter in my old Ford Ranger and was not something I wanted on my dashboard. You could poke an eye out on that thing.

The rear of the AEV 2.5 lift kit went in easy enough once I had the right tools at hand, but I ran out of time for the night. So for at least a few hours I had some wicked rake going on. I couldn't help but think of a few "Do you even lift, Bro?" jokes during this process. Fortunately the next day found the front lift complete along with the geometry correction brackets.

Knowing I was ordering the floor plate and 60 floor from Goose Gear, I called up Adventure Trailers in AZ and had them send me a seat delete bracket. I should have also had them send me some super human strength and patience to get those seats out. What a pain. Seriously, Jeep. FYI - the rear seats fold up once the floor bolts are removed making removal and really life in general much easier.
The bracket is solid, but I did have to drill out the seat just a bit to use the provided bolts. Not a big deal except that's when my ten year old DeWalt drill batteries decided to both die. They were like a old married couple who just couldn't live without the other and stopped working within minutes of each other. Strange.

The last picture shows the Weathertech window visors and the metal vents I got from Series Defender. They are both extremely valuable additions to a vehicle with people and dogs inside. The rear vents are something I have been casually searching for most of my adult life. They're so simple, but functional. Even if they cost a couple bucks more than I'd like to pay for them.

Attachments

• Bumper .JPG
    Bumper .JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 103
  • AT Seat Delete.JPG
    AT Seat Delete.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 101
  • AT Seat hole.JPG
    AT Seat hole.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 97
  • Fold up seat.JPG
    Fold up seat.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Rear Lift Only.JPG
    Rear Lift Only.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Shelf Test.JPG
    Shelf Test.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Sunset Camp.JPG
    Sunset Camp.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 115
  • OK4WD Gear.JPG
    OK4WD Gear.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Dual Battery.JPG
    Dual Battery.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Eagle05

Adventurer
More of this and that

Goose Gear - I've lusted after this set up since I first came across it. It looked like the perfect idea in form and function. Something durable, simple to install and with plenty of features for otherwise wasted, or at least inaccessible space. I placed my order and four weeks later it all arrived.

The installation wasn't easy, but that was mostly my fault as I either misplaced the instructions or they didn't make it into the box and I attempted to do the stubborn man thing and try and figure it out. Plus, should you ever get this set up, Jeep put some extra caulk or sealant on the lower edge joint where the passenger side wall met the floor of my Wrangler. This quarter inch think bead of goo caused me an hour of headache until I tried a new tactic: start over and notice the elephant in the room which is the caulk blocking going on. The stuff was not allowing the side panel for the cubbie to drop down far enough to clear the rear door swing/hinge. The holes were all just a little bit off and it was maddening. I got the phone and was on with Brian from GG for a while and he talked me through some steps and emailed me those simple instructions I should have just asked for to start with. I finally just pulled the floor out and saw the cause of my problems. After that, it was a snap. Lesson learned: install cubbies then floor.
The pictures I'm including are the ones I wish would have been out there when I was researching. The ones that show the nuts and bolts so to speak.

From there it's back to the OK4WD folks for an Alu-Cab tilting fridge slide and Tailgater. We talked a lot about getting a slide with a drawer from GG, but once my wife saw the tilt down version from Alu-Cab we knew that was the one for us. The installation wasn't as simple as a GG slide would have been, but did go well enough with no issues. After some test fitting to make sure the tailgate, seat, and fridge all got along ok, I marked and drilled eight holes in the floor plate and two in the fridge slide. One of the Goose Gear holes lined up but the others I had to do myself. I picked up some T nuts and bolts to use and they work just great. From a storage point of view, the floor plate and the fridge slide did cost me almost three inches of vertical space. Once I reinstall the rear shelf I had hopes of having 3.5" above the fridge to allow a drawer to be installed to the underside of the shelf. Pretty much the same idea as TheKSmith has installed in his Jeep (Thanks for that by the way.) The drawer will still work on the passenger side, but will reduce my available space for other larger gear. Fortunately I have loads of Tetris time under my Arcade belt to help with that. (It's capitalized because my belt is from a company called Arcade. They're amazing with outdoor pants if you've never heard of them.)

Of course every good vehicle needs a prep table. It would seem these models are so popular, Jeep should just offer them as a factory option. (Same goes for that AEV back up camera. If it even saves one tire from a hazard or a kitten from The Goat, it was worth it.) Plus the tables look fantastic with that bamboo cutting board.

Attachments

• Goose Gear Parts.JPG
    Goose Gear Parts.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 92
  • GG1.JPG
    GG1.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 95
  • GG2.JPG
    GG2.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 91
  • GG3.JPG
    GG3.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 93
  • GG4.JPG
    GG4.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 91
  • GG5.JPG
    GG5.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 92
  • GG9.JPG
    GG9.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 92
  • GG7.jpg
    GG7.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 83
  • GG6.jpg
    GG6.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Eagle05

Adventurer
Another Mother

While I was at it, Goose Gear makes these top plates for the Alu-Boxes. Combining two great products? Why yes, thank you.

The inside of The Goat with the floor pieces, side cubbies, table and the titling fridge slide. Once the shelf is back in there, and I wire it all up with lighting, it may just be perfect.

I put a pair of the Rigid D-SS spot driving lights on the Jeep and functionally the lights work wonderfully. The installation was simple enough and they look good while being bright and not having a giant draw on the auxillary battery. My main beef with them is the design is intended to provide a wide pattern. Well, the pattern is so wide (B-52 pattern wide for you fixed wing guys out there) that it becomes a nuisance while driving. If they were mounted to the bumper you would never know the difference. But by the windshield like they are, and I'm going to need to acquire a set of horse blinders for the inner edges if I hope to truly maximize their potential.

Here's the as it sits now photo of the rear end with the lift kit, tire carrier and all it's add ons, and the mud flaps. I think it looks great and is very functional. Which is really the main point of this build out.
My one complaint with the back up camera/third brake light is mounting my Trasharoo. I love these things as they are so functional for a myriad of reasons. The problem is they cover up the entire wheel unless I get all 1990's style and sag it off the bottom of the tire. I guess I can live without the camera on trips, but the brake light is more of a legal requirement. I suppose the new top will just have to have one built into it. (It does and is coming soon.)

Thanks to Dan at The Road Chose me for all of his updates. Because of him I found this hood lock that works with the ignition key, and also made a similar to his utensil storage rack for the Tailgater. Both have been really great so far.

Attachments

• AB2.jpg
    AB2.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 76
  • AB1.JPG
    AB1.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Inside Rear Floor.jpg
    Inside Rear Floor.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 94
  • KC2.JPG
    KC2.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 82
  • KC1.JPG
    KC1.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 84
  • KC3.jpg
    KC3.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Hood Lock.jpg
    Hood Lock.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Rigid DSS.jpg
    Rigid DSS.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Rear Complete.jpg
    Rear Complete.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Eagle05

Adventurer
Littering and...

So you don't think I just hang out in my driveway all day, we did actually get out for a three nighter at Cheaha State Forest a few weeks ago. My wife had to work on her laptop most of the weekend and her power hungry laptop tried it's hardest to eat away at the dual battery the entire weekend. Fortunately I think we all know who won that battle.
I did get some exploring in and lots of beers and views with the thinner winter foliage. Alabama can actually be sort of nice this time of year.

Last thing for the moment: I don't want to give up too many secrets on all the good deals, but Amazon warehouse is the place to shop. I picked up this ARB portable air compressor for nearly half price because the box was returned and damaged. Sure the flimsy tool box was cracked, but the compressor works just fine.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 91
  • ARB Portable Air Compressor3.jpg
    ARB Portable Air Compressor3.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 79

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
Well I must know. With all the items going into the back for storage and such, why the move to a soft top that takes away storage area?

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Well I must know. With all the items going into the back for storage and such, why the move to a soft top that takes away storage area?

I was actually thinking the same thing. I assume soft top for easier top down driving but why the slanted roof?

Eagle05

Adventurer

I was actually thinking the same thing. I assume soft top for easier top down driving but why the slanted roof?

Well, I have a new hard top ordered and should be shipping in the next few weeks. So the soft top was a short term solution to allow me to sell the factory hardtop. As for the slanted roof, I like that it is frameless as I had originally planned on driving to pick up the new top and wanted to be able to easily pack it up in the back. Plus, Amazon Warehouse had a sweet deal on this returned but never used one. So it made the decision easy for me.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Other Stuff

In the rear of the center console I wired a Blue Sea 12V/USB outlet with circuit breaker. It's been pretty handy so far and nice to have it wired direct to the auxiliary battery. I also ran an extra line to the right rear for another outlet and switch bank. I plan on mounting them into the wall of the Goose Gear side cubbie once my new top is installed. The switches will be for a red/white interior light, some outside undercarriage lighting, and a spare for further expansion. I used 10 gauge Anchor Marine grade duplex wire that I'm pretty happy with and should allow a decent amount of use without fear of melting.

I thought a lot about switches and really considered a set mounted along the driver's side windshield, or like the sPod above the rear view mirror. In the end I couldn't justify it and I sort of like how my current setup turned out. It looks a little scattered, but didn't cost me anything extra. The best part in my opinion is that the steering wheel hides all of it. No matter what switch is lit up at night, it doesn't become a distractor.

The GPS antenna needed to be relocated for the new top addition. It was simple enough removing it and running the wire along the passenger side and under the wipers to its new location. A zip tie and some 3M double sided tape has held it in place for more than six weeks now through various road trips and storms. Since the relocation the signal isn't quite as omnidirectional as when installed on the roll bar, and the satellite radio does cut out on occasion when facing north.

Backcountry graphics - Here is one of the little Jeeps. They almost make we want to do some more designs with a Where's Waldo style them to them. Could be a fun project some day down the road.

The last picture of The Goat is as it sits currently. It's displaying the head of my most important exploration accessory, the true and original off road machine, and man's best friend.

Attachments

• 05MAR171.jpg
    05MAR171.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 05MAR172.jpg
    05MAR172.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 05MAR175.jpg
    05MAR175.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 05MAR173.jpg
    05MAR173.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 05MAR177.jpg
    05MAR177.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 63

Eagle05

Adventurer
"caulk blocking" That's good stuff. Nice job with the jeep.

Thanks. One of the best parts of being a grown up is combining my inner 10 year old sense of humor with a little bit of wit. No sense being crude like the old days when you can dress it up and still get a laugh. I'm glad someone else can appreciate it.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Good to see another Alabama guy around here... Sadly for the time I am in Mass. I really miss the Alabama weather...

The weather down here has been crazy and uncharacteristic this year. The other day was in the 80's and miserable. Just 48 hours later it was upper 30's and steady 20 MPH winds. If these strange patterns keep up, I fear what the summer has in store for us.

Small Dog

I also have a 2016 Backcounty, and think it is a pretty good base on which build an Overland vehcial. In addition to the AEV bumbers, the skid plate, under armor, and rock rails are nice, plus the KO2 is solid tire for overlanding I think.

I took those decals off, using a hairdryer. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Also, love goats. Nice name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne