Northstar vs Sun-Lite vs Hallmark for Ford F-150

kdawnz

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on a Northstar TC650, Sun-Lite Sun Valley, or a Hallmark Milner for a Ford F-150 supercrew, 6.5 foot bed. We are so torn! We'd like to stay on the lighter side to keep our payload manageable, and keep the cost under $10,000.

Sun-Lites are cheap and light, which is a plus. I love the reputation of a Hallmark, love the windows, and that they do well in colder weather. But is a Hallmark with the same floor plan really worth the extra $6,000 for a similar vintage Sun-Lite? Northstar seems like the middle ground. Finding the specific vintage (2000-2010ish) and model has been tricky for these.

Any opinion would be immensely helpful!!

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Having owned various Pop-up campers ( Hallmark, Skamper, FourwheelCamper) here are my thoughts

Hallmark- Incredible build quality with nicer features inside but I would lean 2010 and up ( one piece roof) Once you jump into 2010 territory Hallmark's rocket in price compared to similarly aged units. Hallmarks can get heavy with all the extra creature comforts. I currently have a 2010 Guanella and it is by far my favorite camper I have owned. P.S. I haul it on a Dodge 2500 so the weight isnt as much of a concern as your F-150

Northstar- Best bang for the buck! Will probably accomplish 90% of what you want and at a great price. Manufacture still rocking after 50 years or so! Hold value

Sunlight- No longer built, but fashioned in the same manner as all the "other brands" of that era. Bad resale.
Other then some basic parts you can order just about anything you need t keep it running. Most campers share the same crappy Dometic/Suburban/ RV parts carried in every type of RV.

How do you plan to use your camper? Family hauler to the local campgrounds? Backcountry exploration rig? Depending on you budget you should also consider a 4wheel Camper!

We are getting close to "camper season" so be prepared to jump on anything that fits. If you wait it will be gone faster then you can blink!!!

Start here
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7380-used-pop-up-truck-camper-alert-thread/page-260

kdawnz

Thanks so much!!! We don't typically camp in campgrounds with any sort of hookups if we are in a campground at all. We camp in temperatures down to 20. One dog, no kids, but kids are on the docket in the next year or so.

I just don't like having the bed conversion in a FWC. And I love the table systems that are U shaped and can seat 3 or 4 people. I don't need or want a bathroom. Especially with kids in the somewhat near future. We are transitioning from a pop up trailer camper in an effort to be a little more portable and not have to deal with towing.

We are leaning heavily towards a 2005 Milner, roof has been replaced. I love the reputation of Hallmark, the layout, and the cold weather capabilities. Dry weight is low enough the truck should be able to manage.

kdawnz

Any recommendation for the best way to wire the truck bed for it? We have a 2016 Ford F-150, and I don't think there's a 7 pin anywhere near the bed, just the one on the tailgate. I don't think I'm in to anyone drilling, just wasn't sure if there was a preferred method.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've got a SunLite Skyhawk (really designed for a mini truck) in my '06 2500 Dmax. I've had the camper for about 5 years or so, average 30 nights a year in it. When I got it I was assured by the interweb experts that it wasn't even suitable to drop a tire off on a dirt shoulder without destroying the camper. It's still going strong, and I'm hard on equipment. I even put a roof air on mine with no issues.
baja10002012025.jpg

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
I have a 2016 F-150 and found out that there is no pin on the tailgate which is wired to charge a trailer or camper battery. I connected my house battery to the car battery with a solenoid disconnecting the batteries once the ignition is off to prevent draining the car battery.

bob91yj

Resident **************
^^^^Are you sure there isn't a fuse missing in the fuse block for that 12v hot pin on the 7 pin connector?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior