G550 4x4^2 arrived at the dealer recently

zimm

Expedition Leader
i wonder what sort of RTI score they were able to achieve with those dubs.

it kinda looks like a pre '77 bronco a 16yo refurbished, with its hacked sheetmetal and flair on flair. ... they should have named it brian, its has like, 37 pieces of flair.

at least with the double remote shocks, they shouldnt have to fly in parts to complete the canning stock route again. maybe. trucks with massive dubs that require that many shocks to control the unsprung weight have always handled washboard with such aplomb.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
With 3.0L diesel and 275/80R20 or 335/80R20 XZLs, I'd buy one.
I wonder what is the oil capacity of the portals? 404 Mogs are as little as 250ml, U500s are 700 ml.
Portals add a whole dimension to maintenance and potential problems. I don't think most potential owners of this vehicle realize it, however.

Charlie

0.4 liters (400mm) for both front and rear portals:

2017-03-07 09_04_19-Differential.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg

2017-03-07 09_06_06-Rear axle.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg

I don't think most potential new owners are going to care, while it's leased or on warrenty anyway, after that, we'll buy them in the used market, maybe :) if you can pay the sticker price, you can pay to have the axles serviced.

Last edited:

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Clearly there is a market, and clearly, you are not it. I'm sure Mercedes is just fine with that.

Not everyone cares about an RTI Score, not every rig with 4wd has to crawl the jackhammer. In the right hands with the right tires, the full time 4wd with 3 locking diff's is still more than most factory "4x4's" offer in the USofA.

Fun is just a tire and wheel swap away:

Seems "ok" on the dubs (not my bag but hey, if you have the means...)
They look ok should you decide to take the ditch to pass someone (albeit fairly smooth ditch, but still)
I'll stick with my Wolf, but if someone gave me a G500 4x4² for a day with a good set of tires, I'd love to take it out in the snow.

Last edited:

uzj100

Adventurer
Thanks for the videos. I prefer the way it looks with Hutchinson Bead Locks and Off road tires. I wonder if it has CTIS or not. I know the 6x6 version did.

Has anyone found it on the MBUSA site so you can build your own?

It would be a blast to drive.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
It does not have CTIS on the G500 4x4², at least any of the ones I have VIN's for to pull up the data.

Also note there is no spare tire. It comes with a "tirefit" repair kit, compressor, sealant, etc to repair the tire until you can get to a shop. Wouldn't work for sidewall tear or major puncture but good enough for most use.

tirefit.jpg
tirefit2.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
Clearly there is a market, and clearly, you are not it. I'm sure Mercedes is just fine with that.

theres always been a market for monster tucks and circuses. i think its funny MB found crew that covets both at this price point. theres nothing wrong with laughing at comedy. if the meat and potato line costs are covered by military contracts, they may as well suck up the gravy.

personally, i think their marketing staff is wondering ****** they can possibly make and at what ****** price, that some nudnick WONT buy it. **** driving the car, i'd love to be a fly on the wall at one of the design meetings.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I hear ya. Imagine working at a place like that and the boss says "gentleman, we have a challange from the top, what's the most ridiculous thing we can make and sell at "X" price point...go!"

I still like the looks of a Gwagon on Portals, though I prefer this one:

f0b30a31572d64ea02883aae6dce2b4d.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I spent some time with the twins this summer (my camper is the meat in the G sandwich), and after seeing what bone stock Gs can do on basically street tires, I'm not sure if there is a NEED for portals. The "offroad" video is sure not pushing the ground clearance boundaries!

image.jpg1_zpsbcm5pnc9.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdifcna1x.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsewv4ymy1.jpg

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
This one does not even have a spare tire, while the Mercedes Maybach G650 does. I guess that''s one of the differences between a US$500k vehicle and one for only US$200k. :victory:

uzj100

Adventurer
MOre deliveries.

Miami

Sold.

Attachments

• g3.JPG
    g3.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 32
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 28
  • g 2.jpg
    g 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 31
These are simply ridiculous as an overland/off-road vehicle. (************...yes, but absolutely ridiculous) Carbon fiber fenders, 500hp, and massive rims have to business in an off-road vehicle. These were not built for off-roaders/overlanders, they will were built for the wealthy to one up their neighbor who simply has a G65 in the driveway...oh and for princes in the UAE to drive in the dunes. You'll only find these on the streets of LA and Miami...doing nothing but club runs and trips to the Gucci store.

But...I certainly would praise (not ridicule) an owner who showed up in the woods with one of these adorning a RTT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94