AWilson013's GX 470

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Also, I got bored last night and decided to take some pictures at my favorite parking garage. Unfortunately, once my suspension comes in, I don't think I'll fit in there anymore =(

The keen eye will notice the 5000k HID headlights, 3000k LED fogs, RCI Aluminum Skids Plates, and Metaltech Sliders that have been added since the last photos.

DSC_0167 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0164 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0153 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Chased the sun over the Cascades last weekend to take the GX on her first camping trip. It was a success, other than the dismal ride. With the tent, gear, dogs, and cooler I was literally sitting on the bumpstops the whole way.

DSC_0164 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0179 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0172 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0195 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

As if the guys at ARB could feel my pain (or, more likely, hear my wife complaining), I came home to an e-mail that I had some stuff ready to be picked up.

SO, I picked that stuff up this morning.

DSC_0004 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

We're getting somewhere.... As much as it pains me, the install must wait for the weekend.

chunko

Observer
The 255's are a 33" tire compared to 30.5" stock. I imagine you would have to do some trimming and massaging of the fenders liners to fit the larger tire in (OP has removed his running boards and replaced them with sliders it looks like). I have heard that 255/75/17 tires do fit with stock height. I had a set of Cooper AT3's installed in that size last week and I love them (on road and off). I do have a lift, though.

rickashay

Explorer
Looks great Alex. Really like the pics in the parking garage. I'm very excited to wrap mine up and get some "poser" shots. I'm getting tired of turning wrenches, would rather be taking photos/video!

Looks like you're up to bat next; out with the old, in with the new BP-51's. Excited to hear your review on the GX. A good friend of mine just bought a 08' GX and is looking to modify it in a similar way to yours. I have sent him this thread for reference.

Cheers

Loubaru

Adventurer
How to you like the ST Maxx's compared to the Duratracks? I have had Duratracks on my 4Runner for the last 10k and no real complaints but am looking at the ST Maxx's for the Tundra in actually the same size you have. Also, you are still on the stock gears aren't you? Do you know what they are and do you see a large need to re-gear? I'm assuming you have the same V8 and 5SPD auto as the newer Tundras. Thanks!

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Looks great Alex. Really like the pics in the parking garage. I'm very excited to wrap mine up and get some "poser" shots. I'm getting tired of turning wrenches, would rather be taking photos/video!

Looks like you're up to bat next; out with the old, in with the new BP-51's. Excited to hear your review on the GX. A good friend of mine just bought a 08' GX and is looking to modify it in a similar way to yours. I have sent him this thread for reference.

Cheers
Thanks! I am actually really irritated with the suspension install, but by no fault of the suspension. I tried to be fancy like you and took, what I thought to be, a lot of cool photos along the way. Went to upload them when I got home: card corrupt. Tried a few programs (both mac and PC) to try to recover and got NOTHING.

That said, I really love how it rides so far, though the rear springs (OME 896) are a bit too stiff without any gear in the back. I got WAY more lift than I wanted (a little more than 3" up front, and a little more than 4" in the rear) but it rides really well, and with the KDSS still handles like stock more or less.

How to you like the ST Maxx's compared to the Duratracks? I have had Duratracks on my 4Runner for the last 10k and no real complaints but am looking at the ST Maxx's for the Tundra in actually the same size you have. Also, you are still on the stock gears aren't you? Do you know what they are and do you see a large need to re-gear? I'm assuming you have the same V8 and 5SPD auto as the newer Tundras. Thanks!
I seem to be the only person in the world that didn't jump ship after seeing a few sidewall punctures on the Duratracs. I absolutely loved mine and they served me very, very well.

That said, I also really enjoy the ST Maxx so far. I haven't pushed them too hard yet (at all) but they're friendly on the road, and on the mild trails they've seen. I think they're an excellent (though HEAVY) tire.

Yes, I still run the stock 3.73 gears. I think the vehicle would benefit from a re-gear, but I don't think it needs one by any means. It's on my "some day" list.

Great camping pics. Can't beat a little R&R outdoors with friends and family.
Thank you! It was a great time. Always love that first trip of the season.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
ARB Compressor Install

I am going to wait til this weekend to update with pictures after the lift. However, while at ARB I also picked up a new compressor. I installed it today with the Slee bracket and I am really impressed with it. It's loud, no debating that, but I don't think that should matter while I am airing up my tires.

DSC_0010 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

I used my ARB deflator and dropped my front driver's side tire to 10psi. It took just under (like 1:56) 2 minutes to fill it from 10-35psi. A little under half the tire it took my TJM compressor to fill one of my 285/70R17 Duratracs from 12-38psi. I'm happy with that!

I also got the "new"ish ARB digital inflator and it's awesome. The longer hose on it is a lot better than the analog version. I don't have to sit on the ground to fill the tires =)

DSC_0019 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

While I was in there I also moved my e-locker switch to the RSCA switch location and placed the compressor switch where the e-locker was- in the 2nd gear start switch location.

DSC_0013 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0016 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

rickashay

Explorer
The ARB twin is a monster. Make sure to carry a couple extra of those big fuses... My compressor popped a fuse on both my LX450 and my Tundra (two seperate twin compressors). Otherwise I loved them!

Gunna have to pickup that digital inflator - worst part about the old one is having to sit near the ground to inflate! Or at leas the valve stems always seem to stop near the ground. lol

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Whiskey ******** Wildlife Area

Went out yesterday to test out the new suspension do some camping with friends.

Ended up learning (very quickly) how different the GX is from my old 4Runner as about 100 yards into the trail I chose a line that would have been just fine in my wider, lower, and lower CoG 4Runner and about ended up on my passenger side. Unfortunately I also learned how heavy my driver's door is when you're lifting it nearly straight up, and decided to just trust the guy behind me on how to back up out of the predicament I had gotten myself into.

Backed out, gathered my pride, and took a smarter line. =p

The rest of the trail was very simple, but got pretty tight in some spots. The brand new Tacoma and F150 with us did not like that.

The camping was excellent, the beer was cold, and the company was great. Can't beat that.

DSC_0047 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr This was right after my little spill. I stopped to make sure everyone else got up just fine... Of course they did, they had my perfect example of what NOT to do =D

DSC_0081 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
Being up front, and moving a bit more quickly than everyone else gave me some time to take pictures while I waited for the others to catch up every now and again.

DSC_0087 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0144 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0169 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0187 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0193 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

And found this old motorcycle out there at the bottom of a steep hill climb. While going up that same hill climb in 4lo my traction control kicked on, which I didn't think we supposed to happen. I still made it up without issue, but the traction control noise and flashing light was pretty discomforting.

DSC_0221 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
As we all know, photos always do obstacles justice. Not.

This corner would have been fine with a bit of speed coming UP but going down with no real room for speed, us top heavy guys we getting pretty tippy. Decided to play it safe and straddle the inside edge and ride it down.

DSC_0225 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
Got up pretty high!

Loubaru

Adventurer
I seem to be the only person in the world that didn't jump ship after seeing a few sidewall punctures on the Duratracs. I absolutely loved mine and they served me very, very well.

That said, I also really enjoy the ST Maxx so far. I haven't pushed them too hard yet (at all) but they're friendly on the road, and on the mild trails they've seen. I think they're an excellent (though HEAVY) tire.

Yes, I still run the stock 3.73 gears. I think the vehicle would benefit from a re-gear, but I don't think it needs one by any means. It's on my "some day" list.

That is great news as I can't see re-gearing anytime soon. Currently truck has Toyo ATs that are in decent shape so will probably be another year until I buy tires anyways.

Traction control in 4low on your recent trip is definitely disconcerting, thought it was supposed to turn off in 4low? What road were you guys on?

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Traction control in 4low on your recent trip is definitely disconcerting, thought it was supposed to turn off in 4low? What road were you guys on?

That was my understand of it's function as well. The only thing I can think is that by unplugging the "RSCA Off" switch maybe I disturbed some sort of system? Unfortunately it's kinda hard to spin the tires in 4lo to test it once I plug the thing back in.

I don't recall the name of the road, but the exact spot of the hill climb was here... 47.06061, -120.08710

Leibbrand

Adventurer
How was the Whiskey ******** wildlife area, scenery wise, overall? It sorta looks like Wenas area but I see water and cliffs, so are you able to get down lower than a ridgeline? I was over in in Easter WA, Metaline Falls to Palouse Falls, and drive by ya this weekend.

Sorry to hear you laid if over, did you get damage or was it on the rail?

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
How was the Whiskey ******** wildlife area, scenery wise, overall? It sorta looks like Wenas area but I see water and cliffs, so are you able to get down lower than a ridgeline? I was over in in Easter WA, Metaline Falls to Palouse Falls, and drive by ya this weekend.

Sorry to hear you laid if over, did you get damage or was it on the rail?

The scenery was absolutely excellent. Much better than Wenas/Umtanum for views, especially with how green it is right now, and the wild flowers starting to bloom. As you can tell from the tracks (we worked counter clockwise) you spend a lot of time on top of a ridge, s-curve down into the canyon, spend some time down there, then climb back up. I would say that you spend more time up top than on the bottom, but I didn't mind that. Though the lower sections were more interesting (running water, trees, bushes, etc.), they also were pretty tight and overgrown. A good amount of pin striping was had, especially in the southern section of the loop we did.

Uk5ByjRl.png

We had a big horn sheep across the creek from us on the evening we camped. He stayed up on the ridge, but the next morning came about half way down to see what we were up to. Pretty cool! I took a picture of him, but I see it's not in my Flickr album for some reason.

Surprisingly that was the only wild life we saw.

If you entered at the wind farm (the northwest point of our track) and worked clockwise you could see a good bit of the area without any pin striping. You'd just have to turn around when you came down the big hill climb (where I took the pictures of that old motorcycle) and not go through that little creek. I don't know if there is a way to get down to the river without pin striping though. The Tacoma and F150 left early Sunday and found a way out to the south, but I am not sure how.

I didn't actually flop it, just came close. I was very, very worried, to be honest. That was right where we entered, at the southern point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke