Oliver Travel trailers

bigskypylot

Explorer
Not quite sure where to put this but stumbled across these while helping my dad look for a good four season trailer. My folks live down in Tennessee (about 4.5 hrs from where they make them) I found the 1+15 tour video and the threads on here concerning the trailers. He likes them a lot. Think he wants the smaller one just for maneuverability and ground clearance. What is the concensus on these trailers other than than what I've already found, they seem to be well-made and look good. My dad would be pulling it with a 2008 LTZ Suburban which he's had since almost new (he bought it as a demo with under 10k and most miles since have been highway) that brings up another question as to what sensible mods should be made to the tow rig. He won't be doing harsh stuff but wants it to handle stuff that a typical trailer/tow rig wouldn't see. I'm thinking tires and shocks. Maybe a few skids?

Sorry for the two-tiered question but thanks in advance!

joelbert

Adventurer
Having an airstream and touring an Oliver Travel Trailer in person, it's night and day difference between how capable they are of going on any type of rutted road. The Oliver has high ground clearance and is much more well designed. If I were ever to buy one again, it would be the Oliver. I suspect it will do what you describe out of the box.

fireball

Explorer
I've seen someone with a white tundra pulling a really nice looking Oliver trailer on route 30 here in South Central PA. Hurts my neck every time I drive by it and try to check it out!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I saw a few in yellow stone a few weeks ago. They look OK. Given I've built composite Aircraft and been involved in composite racing sailboats I have become pretty critical of "fiberglass products" find out how they make them. In most mass production Glass products they use what's called chopper gun construction. Glass mat is chopped up and fed through a spray gun with resin and sprayed into a mold. They will have a few minor structural parts mounted in the mold either wood elements or foam chunks to create a cheap beam when covered in hardened glass. This method is extremely cheap and fast to build glass structures. It's heavy in terms of material vs strength etc. it's more costly to do than ply/Aluminum due to environmental regs placed on the manufacturing method. But the end product really isn't any more superior than the Aluminum built RVs nor is it lighter.

The engineered Composite panel type build process using modern composite processes and cored structures is dramatically superior regarding durability, weight and structural strength but it's also far more costly than simply spraying a resin slurry into a mold.

I think for me it would be the cost premium they ask for over say a more traditional built Aluminum trailer like say a Livinlite rig of similar set up etc. The Minni Winni Trailers are also using Aluminum in areas of their construction but staying with what's called soft steel frames which have advantages over a full Aluminum frame which can crack and have issues if poorly welded or over stressed which is where the old soft steel is better and more tolerant of that type of abuse.

The classic rot issues simply come down to maint, keeping sealed parts sealed etc.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Be sure to check out their forums - the owners there are always willing to answer questions and I've found that they are honest and objective when it comes to giving critical reviews of their trailers. Many are eager to show their trailers if you can find an owner nearby. And a handful are members here as well. But if your Dad is close to the factory, then I highly recommend driving over for a factory tour to see the trailers in person.

I think they're great, but then I'm biased as I have one in their production line at the moment.

As for the shells, they are laid up using layers of fiberglass matts, composite panels and aluminum reinforcing plates with chopped fiber between. They are...strong. FWIW, the owners use and abuse their trailers regularly. They're avid campers and hunters and they've built the trailers to handle bumpy gravel roads and harsh weather. It's a true four season trailer.

For overlanding and offroading - it's not a small trailer but that aside it adapts pretty well to softroad travel and backcountry camping. The smaller one is of course better suited for narrow forrest roads. Mine the larger model but is being lifted 4" above normal for better clearance, disc brakes, 640W solar, lithium batteries, isotherm fridge, composting toilet, on demand hot water, etc. For point to point overlanding, it's size is limiting; but as a base camp for making overnight excursions in the truck, I think it's about perfect.

For your dad, I wouldn't worry too much about the tires, and the trailer should go just about anywhere a Suburban will fit. You might consider swapping the axles to an overslung arrangement for a bit better clearance, and I highly recommend disk brakes. There's a push to get Oliver to make those standard or at least offer them as an official upgrade, though it's an easy upgrade to do yourself. If he wants to avoid using a generator, then swap out the batteries for some dragonfly/battle born lithiums and get them to install a port for a set of portable panels. They might also be able to add an extra 160W panel on the roof if he doesn't put any TV antennas up there.

Last edited:
I was not aware that Oliver was willing such mods. My sister in TN has a 23 foot model and loves it. To me all that white fiberglass inside looks too sanitary.

The wife and I have also been searching for a four season camper in the 18-20 foot range. Take a look at outdoorsrv they have some great features especially if wanting to do off the grid camping. The fresh water storage is more than and other campers in this size. It has built in 300 watt solar with the ability to add 150 watt freestanding panel. These campers do have an offroad suspension option. My concern with them is they are located on the west coast and no east coast dealers to actually take a look at them.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Been familiar with Oliver trailers for a few years. You might also want to take a look at Kimberley Kruisers. Although the exchange rate is, as of today, .79 to our USD, when coupled with the 20% discount to USA buyers right now they're in similar price ranges.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I was not aware that Oliver was willing such mods.
Some of those I'm doing myself after delivery. In the past they've been very receptive to modifications but of course as they grow there's a point at which they have to start making widgets - every trailer can't be custom. They have a list of items that they offer as standard options , then a few 'off the menu' things if you know about them. And then if you can convince them that your modification might be something they'd want to offer as standard or as an upgrade then they might consider doing that in service after production to see how it goes.

I looked very seriously at Kimberley but even when the exchange rate was a bit better they ended up about $10-$20k over Oliver. Great trailers it seems but in the US you have to factor in that for all practical purposes there will be close to zero support. I talked with VMI for a long time as well but in the end them being half a continent away and Oliver being a few hours drive from home made the difference.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
@ OCD Overland, I am interested to see photos and description of your modded Oliver once it arrives! Most of them don't see much if any gravel road use ... but it seems like your use will mirror our future trailer's use/application.

davidv

Observer
I have looked at all the trailers discussed on this the thread. I have a 100 series cruiser and the Kimberly s class looks like a perfect match. I have watched all of their videos and it is amazing how thought out these campers are and how much technology they incorporate into them. The state side options seem to be using the same appliances and electronics they used in the 70's.

Even with the discount and exchange rate the Kimberly has a large price tag for something that would need to be bought site unseen and owned with almost no support. On top of that there is not a lot of good experience shared on how these campers do on the trails of the western states.

I am ordering an Escape 17b, lifting it 4-6 inches (maybe add timber axle-less system), adding 30-33 tires,replacing the standard rv style black and gray water tanks with a cassette type system so there are no pipes hanging below, adding solar and lithium ion batteries, and doubling the water capacity to 40 gallons. Depending on what drags I may add some sliders to key areas. With this I think I can get the trailer down anything I would do in 4H.

Let me know what you guys think of this plan.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I don't know much about the Escapes other than they seem to have a good reputation. The only thing I would caution you to think through are your planned modifications - in the two years that I've been researching the Olivers, I've seen a lot of people come with seemingly reasonable ideas only to see them fade away once they realize the practical difficulty in getting them done. Larger water tanks and different suspensions seem to be invariably among those, at least among the Oliver buyers. It may be easier on the Escape but lot of the systems in fiberglass trailers are integrated more of less into the moulds, so modifications can oftentimes be difficult.

I'm headed to Oliver Friday to see the work in progress for the first time. They have everything plumbed and wired but the shells are still apart, which is perfect timing so I'll get to take some good photos of everything and I'll know exactly where all the wires, water lines and stuff will be.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ This! FWIW the Timbren axle/suspension systems requires significant structural framework for mounting. You (@davidv), apart of the ordering process, might want to ask Escape about this and whether or not it could be one of the custom pieces they would facilitate.

I find, especially in near airtight trailers like Olivers, Escapes, etc., the use interior propane open flame cook stoves incongruent. Yes, one can open a window and/or a roof vent but still a significant pollution source. Also, from following the Escape forum, there appears to be a known issue with the newer Dometic upright refrigerator/freezers. And unless a "fix" has been developed by Dometic of late, considerable inconvenience from the buyer's/user's perspective could be a significant issue. Just an FYI/FWIW based upon my casual knowledge of the subject.

@OCD Overland: While you are at Oliver, assuming you are not 100% familiar, I would appreciate knowing what lines (water, air, electrical) are routed into and through the fiberglass wall cavity. I do wonder, downstream ownership relative, if a "line" needs to be serviced (or even added) how this would be accomplished without major fiberglass surgery.

And, I probably knew this at one time when I was in full research mode, what type of insulation is used within the wall cavities on the Oliver?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz